S.E. 5a - RC Groups
Oct 24, 2014, 04:45 PM
Discussion

S.E. 5a

Scale drawings are where you find them!

Was pleasantly surprised to find Charles Bourget's wonderful SE5a scale drawings included on Dave Platt designed Top Flight SE5a kit offering at 1/6 scale, from 1970.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4249

About two years back, I was able to compare them with Jim Kiger's original R.A.F. drawings compilation. Charles' older work has held up quite well. In their original published format, a small pamphlet, also included many EXCELLENT period photos. Jim's more recent work, approaches "SE5 information overload" , in drawings alone.

Tried to provide link to Wylam SE5 drawings, but the firelight groups 3-views site seems to have expired.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2014, 09:58 AM
Neat Shuttleworth photos here:http://www.werkost.com/SE5.htm

Profile Publications #1 and #103, Cox scale drawings, rigging notes, and German report data available on Hip Pocket Aeronautics "Builder's Gallery".
Oct 26, 2014, 05:32 PM
Respect to the ol-timers!

thousands of plans here

http://plans.aerofred.com/
Oct 26, 2014, 06:34 PM
SiGone, (interesting handle. shows some Seoul?)

Thanks for the link, and I will be checking it out. However, you know this is a "scale drawing " site and not a "model plan" site, right? I may have confused everyone and am sorry if I did. I was attempting to point out that a certain set of scale drawings happened to have appeared on an R/C kit plan.

edit: Just checked link. There are some scale drawings, even an S.E. 5a. Decent, but quite generic.
Last edited by packardpursuit; Oct 26, 2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: comment added
Oct 28, 2014, 12:17 AM
Respect to the ol-timers!

3 views/scale drawings?

so how about i post this set i put together for Glasair? The top view is a wee bit off-the fuse should be longer to be scale (the wingspan is 112% x fuse length in real life), and 120% x fuse for the r.c. models i have seen. Im currently using these for my own build of a 27" long fuse/36" span (i believe)
Oct 28, 2014, 01:28 PM
SiGone,

That is one slick S.E.5! ..and WELCOME.

Suggest you start a new thread dedicated to Glasair. For ease of listing/search of all subjects, it is suggested that a separate thread be started for each aircraft type. Glasair most welcome subject ,from my point of view!

Also, there is a dedicated sticky for the listing of other scale drawings sites and sources. Don't let any of this scare you off. We need new blood AND new/more 3-views!
charlie
Oct 28, 2014, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGone
so how about i post this set i put together for Glasair? The top view is a wee bit off-the fuse should be longer to be scale (the wingspan is 112% x fuse length in real life), and 120% x fuse for the r.c. models i have seen. Im currently using these for my own build of a 27" long fuse/36" span (i believe)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2273903
Oct 28, 2014, 08:00 PM
Any chance we can keep this an S.E.5 thread?????
Oct 28, 2014, 09:00 PM
Montezuma, Iowa
Wylam S.E.5a sheet 1
Note the date .. drawn (finished) 70 years ago this month.
Oct 28, 2014, 09:01 PM
Montezuma, Iowa
sheet 2
Oct 28, 2014, 09:02 PM
Montezuma, Iowa
sheet 3
Oct 29, 2014, 09:55 AM
Thank you, md!!!

Wylam seems to have relied heavily on the WWI German data. Note the sloping nose feature.
Oct 29, 2014, 05:16 PM
Montezuma, Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
Thank you, md!!!

Wylam seems to have relied heavily on the WWI German data. Note the sloping nose feature.
"German data"??
Oct 29, 2014, 07:08 PM
Montezuma, Iowa
Better Charlie?
from Windsock Data File

Mike
Oct 29, 2014, 09:12 PM
Mike

That's an excellent bit of work from Ian Stair. I don't believe he's ever done a "bad" drawing! At least I've never seen one.

German reports, with dimensioned drawings of captured SE5 were published in 1919 Janes, IIRC. These drawings can be seen here:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/..._id=72&page=32

You might have to join in order to access the "Builders Plan Gallery", but lot's of good info cataloged there.

Pointy nose (in side view) looks quit a bit like Wylam's, hence my observation.