View Poll Results: Should we change the ALES national scoring system?
I like the scoring system as it is 29 49.15%
I dont like the scoring system 2 3.39%
Big contests have too much weight 19 32.20%
Landing scores should determine the winner 0 0%
Ban dorking! (Not a serious question - Im just havin fun) 5 8.47%
I have a different idea 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 20, 2014, 01:18 PM
MrE
MrE
Poll

Should the ALES League scoring system be changed?

There has been some debate about changing the ALES League scoring system. Lets discuss it here instead of in the ALES contest thread.

I made up the POLL before I had my second cup of coffee so its not perfect
Last edited by MrE; Oct 20, 2014 at 02:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2014, 02:24 PM
Larry,
ALES as flown today is alread a landing contest. This is especially true if you fly the half meter tape as flown at most contests . In an effort to balance the National rankings I am suggesting the following.
Fly and score the contest as we do now. For League standings the flyer that wins the contest gets 1000 points. I would then suggest that the flyer receive a landing bonus based on the percentage of perfect he achieved on his landing average.
For instance if 3 rounds were flown there would be a chance of 150 landing points.
In this instance lets say our top pilot scored the following landings 35-40-50 for a total score of 125 landing points. 125/150 = .83333 x100=83.33
The winner of this contest would receive a League Score of 1083.33 ponts for this contest.
Those looking at this suggestion may see that the only problem is this handicaps a flyer who flys in a contest with more rounds.
I might suggest a potential fix as the following. Those that fly in contest with more than 3 rounds will recieve an additional percentage point for each additional rounds flown.
For our example lets look at 2 pilots they both average 83.33 % perfect landing scores. Pilot one flies a 3 round contest and won. , his League score 1083.33
Pilot 2 wins his contest and has an 83.33% landing score. He wins a 6 round contest. His League Score 1083.33 +3 ponts for having to fly more landings. His League score for that contest is 1086.66.
This strategy would even the contests and take the body count out of the calculus.
LJ
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Oct 20, 2014 at 02:42 PM.
Oct 20, 2014, 02:42 PM
turn, turn, turn.
This only serves to take the fun out of ALES...what's wrong with a little luck?

In fact, I think we should factor in more luck if anything.
Oct 20, 2014, 02:43 PM
Kenny,
I posted a suggestion..
Lets hear your idea? How would you add more luck?? LJ
Oct 20, 2014, 02:52 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
Kenny,
I posted a suggestion..
assigned timers, that is generated by a random matrix.
Oct 20, 2014, 02:54 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Kenny,
I posted a suggestion..
Assigned launching tapes...generated by a random matrix.
Oct 20, 2014, 02:58 PM
turn, turn, turn.
I voted that I like the scoring system the way it stands now.
Oct 20, 2014, 03:08 PM
Kenny,
From what I see from your suggestions, You prefer a non contest.
Your suggestions could only potentially penalize a pilot. So what you are saying is you would like to potentailly add a hurdle to a high perfoming pilot. Thinking logically a low skilled or non competitive pilot is not likely to be effected by your suggestion. So OK you voted saying you prefer the way scores are calculated now. Perhaps you could elaborate and tell us how you see that my suggestion is not a more fair way to guage pilot perfomance?? L
Oct 20, 2014, 03:24 PM
AMA 7224
Leave it alone for now. It comes down to who has the most time to go to contests and who is willing to put the most the most mileage on their tires and butts. I would be lucky to get in 4 contest a year, maybe 5. I can't compete with someone flying 10 ,12 or more contests but in reality it don't make no never mind, I go and have fun and what happens happens.
Latest blog entry: Maxford 27% Gee Bee Model Y ARF
Oct 20, 2014, 04:20 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Kenny,
From what I see from your suggestions, You prefer a non contest.
Your suggestions could only potentially penalize a pilot. So what you are saying is you would like to potentailly add a hurdle to a high perfoming pilot. Thinking logically a low skilled or non competitive pilot is not likely to be effected by your suggestion. So OK you voted saying you prefer the way scores are calculated now. Perhaps you could elaborate and tell us how you see that my suggestion is not a more fair way to guage pilot perfomance?? L
how would it penalize a top pilot?..... they only need someone to keep time, and it can be done on their own radio...with regards to knowing whether they have 3 minutes or 2 minutes to go.

it is the lesser skilled pilot that stands to have an advantage with this, if they get a higher skilled pilot to time for them.
Oct 20, 2014, 06:35 PM
You looking at me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
Assigned launching tapes...generated by a random matrix.
We did this at Nat's Kenny. it seemed to work pretty well.

Ed
Oct 20, 2014, 07:03 PM
Some thoughts, I kind of like the system, cause it does credit the flier that does well in large events. I think the guy that flies only the minimum contests, but beats a lot of guys per event, should be ahead of someone who flies a bunch and never beats more than a few fliers per event. I just think it rewards the guy who is clutch when it matters. Larry's scoring system would work too, but you had better get good at landing.

As far as luck, Kenny, those two items, designated timers and launch/landing spots will not effect the good pilot at all, neither of these have nothing to do with luck.* Any CD could do it at any contest, that really has nothing to do with season scoring, but it would not keep me from flying.

Marc

*The only thing that designated timers can mess up is your day, when you draw the annoying guy that will not shut up and knows nothing. I must admit, getting a timer I enjoy standing out there with is one of the joys of flying contests. Guys like Jim McCarthy, TK, Chris Lee, Jerry Shape, et.al., just make the time go fast and there is always a laugh to be had.
Last edited by R.M. Gellart; Oct 20, 2014 at 07:08 PM.
Oct 20, 2014, 07:37 PM
It is designed to be a fun event!!! And it is. BG
Oct 20, 2014, 09:18 PM
Ok that's high enough
I still think that larger contests get too much score emphasis. I think this way because 1- I have a profession that prevents me going to those distant events, and 2- even if right now my scores are nowhere near the top third, I whish and will improve, and I expect my national ranking to improve just as well as my performance to individual contest do. With the current system, I can't really get to the top third without going to 1 or 2 large contest.
Oct 20, 2014, 09:43 PM
turn, turn, turn.
thing is, it is a national ranking... & a lot of the top pilots fly against each other.

so yeah, to be nationally ranked in the top 20, you have to go to large contests...and fly with a lot of the top dogs.

Quick Reply