Oct 18, 2014, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Completed: Peter Rake's Martin Kitten

Removed Scale Build off #4 - as I did not make the time frame - I put too much time into work, school, family and other projects -

- A Promise I made to Peter a while ago, and now she will be completed - Very interesting history on the airplane - sort of a flop - but a few innovative possibilities were incorporated in it.
Last edited by Shnokey; Dec 08, 2015 at 09:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2014, 09:41 AM
DUH! Took me a minute (or 30) but I get it :-)

Looking forward to this!

Stephen
Oct 18, 2014, 10:06 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Just a little too wild and crazy...welcome aboard, Jon!

Steve
Oct 18, 2014, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
You are two wild and crazy guys... .I thought you guys may see the humor in it - -
Oct 18, 2014, 01:30 PM
Senile Member
Too bad there wasn't a rake somewhere in the photo.

Larry
Oct 19, 2014, 09:41 AM
Boy you guys are starting to show off your age. LOL. The younger guys probably have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Jim
Oct 19, 2014, 10:40 AM
Thread OP
Let's help them a little - Peter probably feels this way when many builders make the same airplane, which one will end up completed? it like...... - This is an educational site:

Cat Juggling (0 min 54 sec)
Oct 20, 2014, 06:41 PM
Always assuming, of course, that the curse of the Kitten doesn't strike again.
I have to admit, I'll be interested to see how this one turns out. Even on a bad day the model has to fly better than the original. I won't steal Jon's thunder by relating the history but it certainly wasn't an overwhelming success.

Pete
Apr 04, 2015, 10:05 AM
Thread OP
It's Kitten time - I have cleared the bench and I have started - As always, I read over the plans and mentally "build" the plane before glueing so I know where to start, and what piece goes where - before I have to cut things apart because I put them together wrong. The only thing that stumped me on this plane was the wheels - The are called "Ackerman Innerspring wheels" and they are supposed to be self shock absorbing. It would not look right to put a regular set of wheels on this plane (and yes, the retracts will work - another cool feature).

So what to do? - I created a jig (Copying the very successful one from Kay at Aerodromerc) for how she does her wire wheel kits. (BTW, you ever need a stellar wire wheel look on your plane - get one of Aerodromerc kits - they are perfect ) - So my plan was simple... Bend some spring steel, build a jig, and solder the steel to a center post - WRONG.... What a mess, I could not align anything, and when done, I had a wobbly egg with no lateral stability at all.

So I went to where I knew I could go - My CNC machine - Designed and measured a scale model of the spokes, then I set up a hardwood design and cut out the entire inner wheel with a PVC rim that I cut on my lathe from a 3" drain pipe.

I sanded and cleaned up the "spokes" and added a brass bolt to each one for a little bling. I think it represents the Ackerman wheel just fine, and with a final CA soaking, the wood and PVC will be just fine. Add some rubber tire material - and we are off to the races - One hurdle done... Now, where did I leave my kitten scratch post? .....
Apr 05, 2015, 08:32 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
You've got me sub'd on the wheels alone!

Interesting subject for sure, you had me looking again when you mentioned retracts.
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Apr 05, 2015, 09:32 AM
Beautiful :-)
Apr 05, 2015, 09:56 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Guys - I'm going to do a little remodeling (When do I ever leave things alone?) as the entire sides are light plywood, and I am going to cut from the cockpit back in 1/8 balsa - the Rudder, a large and multi-tasked item (it also serves as a shock absorbed tail skid) is also big pieces of solid wood, have to lighten them up as well. Once the fuselage "Box" is done - I'll figure out the retracts - A fun image how the real one was designed and patented. Have to make it "Jon" proof for landings in taller grass.
May 02, 2015, 08:00 AM
Thread OP
No - the Kitten curse did not bite me - Travel has been on the schedule, and has put a delay in the project - and also my biggest engineering challenge was how to make a scale retractable landing gear?
May 02, 2015, 08:06 AM
Thread OP
Well I drew up on the plan where the gear should go, and it will mean changing the rear wire supporting the wing, and adapting the fuselage for the gear. - No problem, Just took me a week to figure it out, make it scale and operable, and make it survive my landings - -
May 02, 2015, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
First thing was to bend the gear and add the "bearings" I used 1/8 wheel collars on them, and if you have the set screw outside the wheel collar it keeps it from spinning in the hardwood. Then I tool 1/8 music wire and threaded it to the same threads as the 1/8 collar set screws and attached tow collars and silver soldered them to the wire, the other end of the wire has a 90 degree bend in it (tell you more later why)

Quick Reply