This thread is privately moderated by cyberbillp, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 17, 2014, 07:46 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

FPV Race 5.8ghz Frequency Assigment Chart

One of the problems of Quad (or any fpv) racing comes right after the course is setup and people want to start taking practice laps. Everyone gathers together and start trying to solve the 5.8ghz frequency assignments.

Then after everyone has agreed on assignments, the first guy goes up and half way through his practice lap, he screams like a school girl as he is suddenly watching somebody else's video and his own machine slams into a tree or the ground.

Its a nightmare.

Mistakes happen, but when they happen every single week, it gets old. So, while this is not perfect, I've come up with FPV assignments to help guide racers away from 5.8ghz conflicts.

Through much group testing and experience, we've come to the conclusion you need 40Mhz seperation between center channels to avoid affecting each other. In the list I propose, this mostly holds true. But if Racer A is high on Fatshark and Racer B is low on Boscam, they should swap, or Racer B should go to Boscam A (higher), and the same between Racer C and D. They are over 30Mhz apart, so they may be ok, This needs to be tested. Feedback is appreciated.

If everyone picks the "low" channel on my chart, everything works 100%, so those should be preferred.

Here is the chart.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

We've also determined that you can only run Four racers on US frequencies. If you live elsewhere you can pack in another two racers on the high and low ends.

What I've done for our group is I've created wallet cards for each of the four (or six) racers.

Racer A
Racer B
Racer C
Racer D
-
Racer E
Racer F

Each racer will choose a wallet card, then before powering up (essential) he sets his gear to the correct frequency on his card. This means, that you need to know how to setup your FPV Gear prior to arriving on the field. Nothing is more rude than not taking the time to prep for this, and showing up expecting everyone else to accommodate you for the day.

When you are either done with your race, or taking a break, you surrender your card back into the pool for someone else to use.

If you don't have a card and your gear set up to match the card, you don't power up your FPV gear. It as simple as that.

We hate rules in our group, so these aren't rules, but a etiquette guide for successful co-operation.

I'd like any feedback, suggestions or improvements you may have. This sport is new to everyone, so there is always going to be room for improvement as we grow.
Last edited by cyberbillp; Aug 05, 2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Updated for Raceband, which mostly makes this chart obsolete. Still a nice reference at times.....
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2014, 07:50 AM
Have you tried left-hand polarized antennas? That way you can have a right-hand and a left-hand just 1 channel apart with no problem. Look into it.
Latest blog entry: Melo3D XL: 400mm3 3D Printer
Oct 17, 2014, 08:00 AM
Thread OP
Interesting.

We have not tried that, and I'm not sure anyone even knows which style antenna they bought. I'll try to gather that info and do some testing this weekend.
Oct 27, 2014, 11:08 AM
The white mushrooms labelled with TX/RX most of us are using are all LHCP.
Oct 28, 2014, 03:42 AM
Thanks for this, looks exactly what we were looking for, and hopefully will avoid the painful half hour at start of day trying to work out who clashes with who!
Oct 28, 2014, 06:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackmore
Thanks for this, looks exactly what we were looking for, and hopefully will avoid the painful half hour at start of day trying to work out who clashes with who!
Not only was that what was happening with us, but it continued on through out the day. It was a mess.

One thing I need to make now is a pick board to hang at our site.
Nov 19, 2014, 07:18 AM
I have also had a go at this challenge. Any feedback is appreciated.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post29983503
Nov 19, 2014, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
After a few weeks of using the Racer Cards, the only improvement we've made is to put them on Lanyards. It seems to be working.

One problem we've found is that some Video TX's come with a push button selector, which means you cycle through the entire spectrum to get to your assigned frequency.

If you are shopping for a Vtx, it would be best to avoid this type.
Dec 12, 2014, 08:03 PM
Bill, I've taken your chart and modified it for 8 racers all spread 40 Mhz apart. Enhancements would be LHCP and RHCP between racer bands. Of course everyone would have to have 32 channel capable setups.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Dec 12, 2014, 08:18 PM
Thread OP
I'm not understanding it. Either fatshark googles dont have any choices, or you've got racers 5Mhz apart...
Dec 12, 2014, 09:15 PM
We could shift up 5 Mhz for the Fatshark unless Fatshark tethered. Or tell Fatshark to get with the times and include 32 channel receivers like the competition.

I shifted up 5 Mhz
Dec 13, 2014, 09:55 AM
Thread OP
*sigh* - Not that we have any in our group, but in the interest of universal application:
You've left out the Walkera Frequencies now (aka B-Band).

I know only 6 flyers sucks vs 8, but in order to define a universally applicable chart, we need to group close frequencies from the different "bands" into options for the end users that they can choose while being product agnostic. The 4 Universal + 2 outer Bosam/Skyzones, seems to be the best universal segregation.

Choosing a band, then discovering whether the racer truly has right or left polarity antennas seems unworkable, unless the local group frequency nazi (no offence please) has a bucket of antennas. And in that case, why would users go out and spend big bux buying their own classy blue beams?

I'm trying not to just think of our group, because we COULD actually do this, but thinking from a globally-applicable "best practice" for mini-quad racing everywhere, it's not so viable to do the L/R polarization and leave out any band. You'll always end up with a newbie left out when they bring new gear into the mix.

5.8g video is going to be the death of this fledgling sport. We really need a better option. I've broke so many props and ended half my outings lately with full batteries in a total rage quit because of 5.8g conflicts. It pisses me off to no end. I hope something better than the skyzone and Immersion solutions comes out soon.
Dec 13, 2014, 11:19 AM
Bill, I'm not trying to obsolete the original doc, just make a new one capable of supporting as many multis as possible for those that want to run more pilots in one race on the 5.8 band.

We already have 3 guys in our group running RHCP, Joel ,Jefte, and possibly Brian, and I'm planning on carrying RHCP in addition to the LHCP antennas we currently stock.

Frankly I don't see why a more formal racing club couldn't purchase RHCP\LHCP antennas for use within their club............if a group evolves to include many members, the cost spread amongst those members is trivial. Carry SMA/RPSMA adapters as well to accommodate.

Frankly, with the way things are going, THERE IS NO REASON for current manufacturers to NOT offer 32 channel capability in all their new models or even retrofit existing models with 32 channel capability. The sport is calling for it.

The 5.8 Ghz situation is what it is. We're not going to change the FAA rules anytime soon. Go diversity.

So once again, my new chart isn't meant to replace yours, but to supplement it.
Jan 12, 2015, 02:42 AM
I printed out the original list which I think looks great, and made 'tags' for each racer to get BEFORE they switch on, all I need now is a list of frequencies and dip switch settings for each transmitter type (boscam etc) as people won't have instructions with them.

I have fatshark and the hobbyking mini vtx instructions, but can anyone post any others so we can combine these on back of the freq list and have everything on one sheet.
Feb 22, 2015, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackmore
I printed out the original list which I think looks great, and made 'tags' for each racer to get BEFORE they switch on, all I need now is a list of frequencies and dip switch settings for each transmitter type (boscam etc) as people won't have instructions with them.

I have fatshark and the hobbyking mini vtx instructions, but can anyone post any others so we can combine these on back of the freq list and have everything on one sheet.
Hey Thanks James, i have just given it a little edit for Skyzone freq's & Ch's

many thanks, for coming down today, i enjoyed your company.

Quick Reply