Oct 16, 2014, 09:17 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
you might even be abke to go single 90mm on 12s....keep it light and you wont have to fudge anything.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2014, 09:17 PM
oh wow...thats perfect for twin 90s then. exellent! how big are the scale exits?
Oct 16, 2014, 09:18 PM
sounds like its perfect for a single 120 as well
Oct 16, 2014, 10:55 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Jim-You know I'm interested and glad that our little demo flight was an inspiration. All good and will be following you progress closely. Don't forget the wing tanks, I love flying my A-6 with the tanks on!

As you witnessed during the demos, the jet is rock solid at high and low speed....an EDF pattern ship for sure!

Here's a few photos from AITH to keep you motivated.

All the best my friend,
Tony
Last edited by xplaneguy; Oct 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM.
Oct 16, 2014, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Nut........ Not sure on the scale exits but they seem to be a tad small at around 75 mm. I have not scaled up the rear end just yet. However, if I have to add 10mm it can be done quite easily and still look pretty scale.

Tony........ Thanks for the pics mate. I had always like the intruder and your model and the way you flew it cinched the deal. From the plans that I have scaled up so far it is looking awesome. One big bugger and even if it hit 20lbs would fly with ease on my power systems. The wing is like 70" plus with stabs that are 28 " across. I intend to do the entire weapons stores with tanks. I'll have working speed brakes and slats. It also looks that I may be able to have the batteries go in from the turtle deck between the fans right on the CG. This would allow the cockpit to remain in place and maybe operational.
Oct 16, 2014, 11:21 PM
75mm is fine. my f86 and t33 have 70mm exits. smaller than 70 is a no no for sure. id say max for a jet like this would be 80mm. no need to go bigger than that
Oct 16, 2014, 11:25 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
This is what Rainer suggested for exit dia.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1225
Oct 16, 2014, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
I'm doing 80 mm the same
Oct 17, 2014, 12:18 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Your A-6 sounds yummy already...... Sign me up for a layaway plan NOW!
Oct 17, 2014, 02:14 PM
Ace, glad to see you getting "worked" up to get back in the saddle. The Intruder is one of my favorites. There's something about the lines on this "Gal" that just intrigue me.

I'm also glad to see you have the same "Fascination" as John for "Big" things.

It was great being with you and seeing your beauties, even if a couple were in pieces.

Peace, brother. I'm looking forward to the ride.

Dennis
Oct 17, 2014, 03:21 PM
76" span wih slats and speed brakes is going to be a nightmare! The slat mechanism in my F14 is extremely compact and has been through three design changes with a fourth coming.

Honestly the complexity of slats on a 76" model isnt really worth the headache or hassle for the marginal benefit you would get from the. But thats just my opinion.

Ill definitely be looking in though as I plan to do a big EA6B shortly after the F14.
Oct 17, 2014, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Hey Tony..... Yummy is right. Just a nice size for a couple of 90's.

Dennis...... Glad that you came out. Pity you did not see the Euro fly. It sounded really smooth and flew great once I had it trimmed out. Pity about the radio hit. But it did look good on death row with all the other radio hit victims. The T28 flew awesome once I had the kinks worked out then Lipo hit me mid air which was a bit of a laugh. I grounded the Orange Euro after seeing to many models lose control with RFI hits.

Invert....... I agree with you if I was doing the slats super scale like your F14. However, I'll just make them extend a little similar to a flap more for looks than anything else. Then again my neighbor has a five axis milling machine and likes to check up on my models. This morning he agreed to help with scale struts and stuff. So maybe I can get him to help a little on a slat slider and make them a little more realistic. He owned a large machine shop specializing in making parts for Nuke Subs.

Anyone know if the flaps have any roll control on the A6? I watched flight of the intruder and could have sworn that I saw the flap act in the roll function when landing on the deck. The scale ailerons are quite tiny.......
Oct 17, 2014, 06:59 PM
I dont think there is any roll function to the flaps. What you were probably seeing was a little bit of spoiler deflection for increased roll rate.
Oct 18, 2014, 11:01 AM
I think it is all spoiler. I read that at low speeds the flaps act as flaperons. I have a soft spot for the EA-6 Prowler (build list) so I did a bit of research and watched videos and all I ever see move are the spoilers. I finally assumed that what we think are ailerons are just an extension of the flap, seperated by the wing fold
Oct 18, 2014, 03:10 PM
Ace, any idea what the scale will finally work out to be on your Intruder?

Den

Quick Reply