Oct 25, 2014, 06:53 PM
Jim:

Looks good. Nice progress. Looking forward to the build.

Ed
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2014, 06:57 PM
No problem, I am in absolutely no hurry at all.
Oct 26, 2014, 10:52 AM
Classic jets rule
Wow Ace you really have great jump on this one
Oct 26, 2014, 12:45 PM
I look forward to watching the progress, I really enjoyed the Euro build and I am excited to see this one come together. Greg
Oct 26, 2014, 02:19 PM
She is looking "Good" and developing those broad hips that intrigue me so much.

Den
Oct 28, 2014, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
Rodger..... Yeah, I decided to get the hard part out of the way so I can work on it between a zillion other projects.

Lt,Den...... Thanks I hope you enjoy the build.

Yesterday, I glued the reference frames to the foam. These will be placed first on the square tubing and aligned to the best of my ability. Everything will be aligned from these two frames so they have to be dead on. I'll be working towards the front sanding as I go. Have to nip out this morning to pickup more supplies. I also have to make up a custom hot wire cutter to slice through the foam due to every station being a different thickness. I'll post some pics when I have something to show.
Oct 29, 2014, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Managed to get a few hours in between other jobs. I epoxied the reference frame to the aluminum tubing and set it with squares. The reference frame is the furthest from the front.

I then had to figure out how to slice the filler foam between each frame. These have to be super accurate or a twist will develop. Unfortunately the sections are to big for my hot wire cutter and I did not want to make a special one. So the solution was to use my thickness planer.

The planer works a treat and is very accurate leaving a smooth finish ready for glueing. Due to the variable distance on each frame the work is going slowly. I have to cut, plane and laminate the big spaces. However, the frames/stations seem to be dead on so far.

To align the frames I just nick the reference lines on each one with my band saw. This allows me to use the nicks for reference when the foam covers the original reference lines produced by the laser cutting. With my reference frame glued to the tube and knowing that its square I can use a laser to visually align down the nicks in each frame.

The first task is to install each frame working towards the nose. Once a frame is attached I rasp then rough sand the foam to get the outline of the model. It is easier and more accurate to sand each one when installed. It allows me to get my rasp on angles that would be difficult if I tried to do the whole piece in one shot.

Once everything is roughed down and glued up. I'll then use various flexible sanding blocks to get the final shape. Then a heavy spackling and another few sanding runs. Then its 6oz cloth and epoxy resin along with auto fillers and days of sanding and priming to get it perfect ready for details.

My intent is to have the fuselage ready for details within a month. I'll then work on the wings which will be basic foam bead cut with the hotwire.
Oct 29, 2014, 06:43 PM
Impressive project, she's going to be a beauty!
Oct 29, 2014, 07:01 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Ace-Glad to see you're having fun!

Looking good!
Oct 29, 2014, 07:22 PM
Ace, you're a magician. I'm not only having fun, seeing her come together, but seeing how you think and work is impressive.

Hurry up, will ya! I can't wait.

Den
Oct 30, 2014, 02:07 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
wow..your really getting after it!!!!! looking awesome!!
Oct 30, 2014, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ragtop
Tony...... At this stage its not fun at all. This stage is the worst part of building composite models. However, when its finished and you get one then we can both have fun.....
Hey Den..... Don't know about being a magician but brilliant comes to mind... Laugh

Nut..... I'm trying to get it roughed out and possibly smoothed ready for details prior to the xmas holidays. I have decided to cheat on the outlets. They come out at around 70mm and I want to max at 85mm. So the last two outlet stations will be slightly enlarged. I'll rough them to the original scale size then make a decision. If I leave them scale then I could always use the JF120 fan and bifurcate the thrust tubes. What do you think? I could run the 120 on 12S or enlarge the outlets and run twin JF90's. The 120 would save me around a pound.

Finally got the frontal section finished. I have a scale plastic model kit in the mail to me so that I can better control the curves etc. So next is working from the reference frame all the way to the finish line. So far alignment is dead on and it actually looks like an intruder.
Oct 30, 2014, 08:39 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
looks awesome! i vote for single 120.
Oct 30, 2014, 09:25 PM
Pro Hoarder
1 other good reason for a single 120 is it give a bit more room on the fuse sides for gear.
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 30, 2014, 09:37 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Awesome Ace! Twin Jetfan 90s would sound cool but the single 120 seems the better option.

Quick Reply