Oct 18, 2014, 03:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks kevin.... I need to look at some flicks to see just what is going on. I'll probably cheat a little and have a little aileron and make it a split brake to boot. I'll have to count up the channels to see if I can sneak in functioning spoilers as well.

Dmerino....... I did a quick calc the other day and I think that it is 1:8.5 Once I get the drawings done then I can finalize the size. I'm looking at around 72" - 76" so far. Now I have to figure the main gears. I'm also toying with changing from double JF90's to maybe a single JF120 on 12S with bifurcated exit cans. Doing this I could save around 1.2lbs in power plant
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks, Ace. Anyway you go on the E.D.F.'s she is going to be a beautiful flier.

Now, if only the guy flying her was as good looking.

Den
Oct 20, 2014, 09:24 AM
Thread OP
Quick update.... I'm working on translating the stations from jpeg to vector graphics. Once I have these completed then I will have them laser cut. I will be using two metal tubes running through each one for alignment. These tubes will stay in the plug. I have procured a whole bunch of urethane foam that is six inches thick. These will then be cut down and placed between the stations. Then I'll use different tools to shape then sand to a reasonably smooth finish. This time I will be wrapping the plug with heavier glass cloth and epoxy resin. On the Euro plug I had used 2 oz cloth and was always chasing handling impressions which added a lot of extra work. Lesson learned on this method.
Oct 20, 2014, 09:36 AM
Classic jets rule
Jim I have some large billets of blue foam..you would need to just come and get if needed
Oct 20, 2014, 08:05 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Rodger but I'm covered. Here are the stations complete except for alignment holes
Oct 21, 2014, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer
Thanks Rodger but I'm covered. Here are the stations complete except for alignment holes
Nice, what program did you use?
Oct 23, 2014, 09:34 AM
Thread OP
kevin I use Intaglio on my Mac.

I now have all the stations sized and reference and alignments placed ready for the laser cutting. I'm off today to pick up the wood and a 3/4" aluminum tube for centering. Along with the use of a laser it should come out nice and straight.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:10 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Glad to here Ace or do we call you, 'Cole, Virgil, Cole!!'

Sounds like you're in the groove on this Intruder and flying 'Iron hand' next year!
Oct 25, 2014, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
Hey Tony...... Nah..... Ace will do.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:42 AM
Thread OP
Update for the last couple of days.

Yesterday, I had the station frames laser cut. You will notice that I have 3/4" square holes cut into them for the large frames. On some parts I have one or more 1/8" holes. These are for alignment purposes. On these older jets they tend to slope upwards towards the tail. This causes an issue when trying to run a straight through alignment tube so I added the smaller holes to align the smaller frames and to adjust for the offset.

On my Eurofighter I was able to run one single alignment tube from nose to tail. Also, the A6 have a complicated section for the intakes and outlets. This requires smaller sub frames to be fitted to acquire the correct shape. So 1/8" rod will help to link these parts between the larger frames.

The square tube in the pics is 3/4" x 72" and not quite long enough. So I'll cut this down and use the 1/8" alignment rods for the entire nose section, mid and aft wing along with the narrowing tail.

Each frame is referenced with an etched vertical and horizontal line that indicates the reference holes location. These will also be used with a laser to get further accuracy and avoid twisting in the fuselage.

So next is the tedious cutting of foam that will fit between each frame/station and be glued in position around the center to avoid glue getting near the outside while finish sanding. I'll pre-hotwire the outline profiles to be approximately a 1/4" over size. Then the finish shaping will be done by hand down to the frame contours.

FYI... My laser guy is willing to cut the same frames for anyone who wishes to build an A6 for themselves. These can also be cut using dollar store foam board that can be clad with depron. That is how I built the EuroFighter plugs. Can be built fast and light weight then covered in a light weight glass cloth for a perfectly good flying model.

So next is to go pick up my foam and get cutting......... This sucker is going to be quite impressive in the current size with lots of room. I have several major challenges. One is where to place two 6S, 5000 plus battery packs for really easy access. The another is what gear and struts to use for a more scale look. Depending on the CG once I have a pulled part. I may be able to place the bats in the nose with a removable dome. Also lots of room between the fans so may be dead on the CG center line with an access hatch. Another challenge is to have operational split ailerons. Until I have a usable part these will just have to wait.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:17 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Looking great already Jim!

You might as well build two so we can formation fly them at next year's event. I'll send you a depot, seriously!
Oct 25, 2014, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Tony. Yeah this thing is already two month ahead of the Euro build time. These laser cut parts ensure accuracy and really speed up the builds.

Deposit! Hell no.... Then you will hold me to a dead line. laugh. We can work something out later cause this plane is the type that you will love to fly. With luck we will both have one for next AITH.

I intend to really make this quite scale with lots of details. I want to go way beyond the work I did on the EuroFighters in that department. This thing is so huge that it really has presence. Sharpen up those thumbs and you can be my wingman....
Oct 25, 2014, 01:40 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thumbs are ready and looking forward to being your wingman. We will fly the out of these Intruders! I can already hear the call, "Roll inverted, one foot on the deck, NOW!"
Oct 25, 2014, 02:49 PM
Jim,
Im interested in a set of laser cut parts, just a bit larger... Out of curiosity, how much for a set in say 1/6 scale? This would give me a big head start on the EA6B i want to do.
Oct 25, 2014, 06:37 PM
Thread OP
Not sure of the cost as yet. John the guy who cuts them is getting a 48"x24" laser in the next couple of weeks or so. The smaller one that he cut these on just barely fit the largest frame. I think its about thirty or so frames and took four hours to cut. The new one is able to cut thicker wood up to half inch and at least two times faster. He is very affordable and does a good job. If a wait of a couple of weeks until he gets the new laser then he could price up the job once he knows the cut speed. Mine took two five by five sheets of 1/8" ply with about three square feet left over. One fifth scale would be three to four sheets of ply. I'll update soon as I know.

Quick Reply