Jul 09, 2019, 08:00 AM
'n boer maak 'n plan
I bought an airbrush and one of those tiny compressors for something similar a couple of years ago....I guess I will have to go find them now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 04:50 PM
Classic jets rule
you have talent Ace
Aug 13, 2019, 04:32 PM
Classic jets rule
hey Ace any more progress on the A-6 ? or I bet it's too hot in the shop.
Sep 30, 2019, 07:48 PM
Thread OP
A brief update... I have been waiting for the weather to cool off some so I could test fly at the lake bed. So last Thursday my friend Brad and I decided to go camp for four days and do some flying. We arrived and the temps where around high 80's with light winds. So Friday was going to be test flight day. The morning was warm with hardly any wind and perfect.

Decided to start with a taxi test to get steering tuned in. From the pits the six moved about three feet and the nose stopped in a crack. Gave it a bit of power with no rolling so gave it about 70% and BOOM!! Aloud bang and FOD came out of the left outlet!! I shut everything down and began a checkover. The left inlet duct had collapsed and a bit came off and through the fan. Now this inlet was laid up with 3 oz cloth then a spiral wrap around the tube carbon fiber TOW and finished with a layer of 6 oz cloth.

Should have had no problem but it did... So the plan in the next few days is to remove all the inlet ducting and add the the inlet rings directly to the fans and go open intake. This will require a splitter wall between the fans and rearranging the electronic wiring and securing everything in place. I will also add a couple of screened cheater holes and fasten the ESC's directly in the airflow. This setup proved perfect for the EuroFighters which have the same power systems. So will update when changed... Bummer!!
Sep 30, 2019, 09:28 PM
Classic jets rule
Ace we missed you and your buddies at St George
Bummer about your ducts. On round ducts i use plain weave 9.6 oz cloth cut on a 45degrees of the cloth. This makes laying up curvy ducts easier. One layer and done. If you feel the need some C/F tow wrap on top of that after the duct is seamed. May have been the cf in between the layers that weaken it or a delam under the flexing from the suction. Any way that just sucks mate. Keep at it you'll win in the end. Get any snow yet? Take care.
Oct 01, 2019, 10:50 AM
Yikes!!! Better on the ground than in the air i suppose.
Oct 02, 2019, 06:07 PM
Thread OP
Pulled the six out of the trailer and into the shop for a few updates. I ripped out all of the intake ducting from the nacelles to the fans. I was able to just slip the intake rings on without having to mod anything which was good. I re-routed a bunch of wires through lightning holes in the frames to help stop them getting sucked in to the fans. Also redesigned the battery trey so that the ESC's will now attach to them on either side next to the intakes and get good cooling. So just need to cut the trey in ply and add a rear mount for stability. Next is to add the fan splitter wall on the fan center line then a little work around the gear doors so they can not get sucked in. Also add a couple of cheater holes for more volume.

So a couple of days easy work then back off to the lake bed for test flight....
Oct 02, 2019, 06:44 PM
Classic jets rule
I would just make new ducts.

Quick Reply