Sep 11, 2016, 04:48 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Or the driveway.....been there, done that!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2016, 05:07 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
A fine job and a pretty lady too!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Sep 11, 2016, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
Thanks all for the CG input. If I'm wrong on the blue dots then she will be really nose heavy. The reverse for the red. So based on recalculating with different numbers it always seems to come out between the red and blue and about where Ken's green dot hits. So I think that I'll set the CG in the middle of both. Seeing that I have a full flying stab if it comes out slightly tail heavy then it will still be controllable and the same if to nose heavy. I have test flown so many models for our club that have been viciously tail heavy and saved them all. Then again half where at the dry lake bed with lots of room.

The Retract Saga. I finally got my shipping info from HK and just like I figured they sent the cheap set of retracts not the expensive ones which failed. So another RMA submitted.

However, I pulled out all of my busted retracts and found a gear box drive that was almost a perfect fit. I just had to machine down the end of the worm gear to get the bearing on. So I assembled the new drive which had what appeared to be the exact same circuit board into the case and gave it a try withe the case open. Worked like a champ and so much smoother sounding. So I put the other case half on and it all worked. The problem is it is in reverse. So tomorrow I'll exchange circuit boards and all should be well.

Also installed the nose gear and pull pull system which seems to work great...
Sep 11, 2016, 06:37 PM
EDF rules... :)
Jim, I have a set of those mains that rotate, I can tak foto of them if you need to compare if you need a set and cant get any.

Eruc B.
Sep 13, 2016, 07:44 PM
Thread OP
Last couple of days spent mostly on the wings and surfaces. I got the polycrylic and baby powder fillers on and sanded. So now ready for final primer then panel lines. Started playing with gear doors and put them aside until I can get my head around them. Not going to be straight forward.

The modified and repaired gear is working great so far. So I finally got a response from HK about sending me the correct gear set. Now they want the originals back for evaluation. So I guess that I'm screwed due to modifying them.

Eric, not sure if you are wanting to sell yours and if so let me know. I could always use a backup just in case. I did find a complete screw drive system that can be purchased for these gears for around $9.50 a unit. But you need to purchase ten at a time or more. The one that I replaced from my cheaper set works so much more smoother than the original..... Strange?

I spent half the day getting the wing to fuse gaps to fit nice. I think that I have them better fitting than usual.
Sep 13, 2016, 07:59 PM
Classic jets rule
How hard does that poly stuff get? I thought it was too soft for fileing panel lines....or are you using chart tape and primer built up for your panel lines.
Sep 13, 2016, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
Rodger... Poly just to fill the 2 oz weave then tape and primer for lines.
Sep 13, 2016, 11:07 PM
Classic jets rule
got ya
Sep 14, 2016, 05:42 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Sweet!

J
Sep 14, 2016, 09:38 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
dang that's awesome
Sep 14, 2016, 11:44 AM
It is really coming together, looks great
Sep 14, 2016, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks all.... It is now coming together. Tomorrow, I'll prime wings and make servo mounting treys. Hope to have wings finished in the next several days. Then I have to fit canopy and paint ready for glass install. Biggest hurdle is to figure gear doors... I hate those *^&%&% gear doors.

Got my decals from Callie and they came out ver nice. I could not do any work today due to other commitment.
Sep 14, 2016, 09:30 PM
Classic jets rule
leave the doors off for the maiden a lot safer that way ,I need to make some servo Trays for my T-38 too.
Sep 16, 2016, 06:13 PM
Thread OP
Leaving the gear doors off causes a massive hole on each side which may be a problem in fast flight. I'm thinking to at least have the front ones on to cause deflection. I already have these hinged so just need to install servos.

Last couple of days spent making silicon molds for all the wing details and then casting the parts. This was done in-between priming and sanding the wings readying for panel lines which they are now ready.

Also had to repair my Sunday flyer which is done.
Sep 17, 2016, 06:46 PM
Thread OP
I now have the top of the wings painted in a light gull grey. The grey should have been slightly darker but I would like to be able to see it on overcast days. Did I mention the panel lines are also done.

Seeing that this is the prototype I'll not detail the bottoms at this point. So next week I'll finish the bottom in white and then add the servos and then the details.

The fuse is almost ready for paint. I need to finish the gear doors and install drive servos along with the nose and canopy. The rudder plug is almost ready for molding and just needs detailing.

Once the above is completed then a weight and balance then install the battery trey and canopy glass. I think that three weeks should be enough time. If not then at least she will sit on her legs for photos.

Quick Reply