76" Scratch built twin JF90mm A6 Intruder - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 15, 2014, 03:05 PM
Build Log

76" Scratch built twin JF90mm A6 Intruder

After the carnage from AITH 2014 I decided to take a break from EuroFighters and do a new build of the A6 Intruder. I will be making a scale detailed plug then building molds off them for a full composite scale model. My intent is to use the power plant from my EuroFighters which is twin Jetfan 90's with 6s 5000 40C packs along with Turnigy 120 HV ESC's per side.

At the Vegas event, we saw several of the Freewing intruders that looked good and flew beuatifully. When I was giving them the once over I realized that the plan form is very much like my large pattern plane. Looking at the ability to add some very nice yet simple scale details it could be a real looker with exceptional and easy flying ability.

So for the next couple of weeks I will be gathering materials and data getting ready to build up the plug.

Help would be appreciated along with suggestions and anything else you can think of. I first need to choose the subject model so input on a real cool color combo would be good. Most of all I need 3 or 5 view plans with all the stations etc. If anyone can point me to plans that are in vector graphic format would be very welcome.

For the main gears I believe that I could use the retracts out of the 1700mm FMS Corsair that rotate and are similar to what I use in my Euros that weigh in at 20Lbs.

So please provide any input that will help make this a super build.

Cheers
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2014, 04:07 PM
Jim:

Looking forward to this.

Ed
Oct 15, 2014, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a10pilot
jim:

Looking forward to this.

Ed
+1
Oct 15, 2014, 08:53 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
I will have to look for my Detail & Scale mag on the Intruder, I think it had station in it. Would a scan to PDF work?...if I can find it?
Oct 15, 2014, 10:42 PM
kevin... yes it would probably work. Thanks
Oct 16, 2014, 09:58 AM
The RC Geek
Ace,

Great subject! The proportions on the A-6 literally are that of a pattern plane, so should be an awesome flyer. I've looked at it a bunch of times...not to mention wanted to pull the trigger on the foamy one so many times, haha!

I look forward to seeing this one develop. Your T-28 and Euro are really sweet!

Chris
Oct 16, 2014, 04:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. The T28 and Euro where a fairly long build being about six month for the Euro from plans to flying prototype. I would like to make A6 a faster build yet increase the level of scale details. So I will use the method of laser cut stations spaced on a 1" square aluminum tube. The spaces will be filled with blue foam then carved to shape. I expect the build to go much faster and with more accuracy than the EuroFighter.

I will be having John do my laser cutting due to quality, price and time to turn around. Here is his link........ http://lasercuttingbyjohn.com/

With the Euro I spent endless hours building the finish in thin layers that took weeks. This time its slap on and sand to shape in days I hope.

Ken L....... Thanks so much for the 3 view links they are awesome. I wish that I could find vector graphic versions of these to save weeks having to go over them to convert to scalable line drawings.

This morning I scaled up a test drawing to 76" to check for fan fit etc. Looks like the fuse will eat up twin JF90's with no problem. Now I need to calculate the area of intakes and exhaust and see if the scale ones will suffice. If not then look to make hidden cheater holes etc.

Next is to see what gear fits these puppies. I was looking at the Freewing model that retracts and rotates into the wing if I recall correctly. So tonight I'll watch flight of the intruder and see what comes of that. Wade Joos who is a master modeler in is own right pointed me to an old A6 build thread that is going to be very helpful.

I came across the attached plan view which shows a zillion stations that would really make the job easier. Unfortunately, they are a little rough and hard to see. Anyone know where I may get a cleaner version of these? Also, do you know if the stations are accurate?
Last edited by acesimmer; Dec 28, 2014 at 07:20 PM.
Oct 16, 2014, 05:27 PM
Foam abuser!
Ace,

Your Euros are beautiful and I'm glad I got to see them in Vegas last weekend. Looking forward to seeing the A-6 construction!

Pat
Oct 16, 2014, 06:35 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
I have a better copy of that drawing, PM sent

Kevin, I have the Details in Scale scanned in if you cant find yours
Last edited by Ken Lapointe; Oct 16, 2014 at 06:59 PM.
Oct 16, 2014, 06:53 PM
its TALON TIME!
i think twin 80s would work better with scale openings but thats a guess. open ducting is a pita
Oct 16, 2014, 07:02 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
Thanks Ken!!! I looked on my library and I must have loaned it to someone and never got it back The drawing that you posted Ace is from D&S.
Oct 16, 2014, 07:14 PM
Foam abuser!
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
i think twin 80s would work better with scale openings but thats a guess. open ducting is a pita
Unless you know someone who makes nice custom FG intake ducts.

Pat
Oct 16, 2014, 07:37 PM
Well lads. I now have the documentation that I needed thanks to Ken LaPointe. He assembled and forwarded exactly what I needed in clear and concise detail.

So now I can move on to the CAD and layout section.

Nut....... I agree with the 80mm but I'm trying to stay within my equipment boundaries. I have a bunch of the JF 90's and has you know works great in the big Euro. If required I'll scale this bugger larger if I have to. I'll soon be able to do the numbers.

So far at 76" this thing is huge. Now I must try and figure out what retracts and struts will work before getting to deep.

Everyone. Thanks for your inputs. Let the build begin............
Oct 16, 2014, 07:45 PM
Hey nut

Looks to be around 7.5 sq inches per intake
Last edited by acesimmer; Oct 16, 2014 at 09:12 PM.