Jul 29, 2019, 02:40 PM
There are some who call me....
Thread OP
Thanks, PC_P, glad you enjoyed the read. I wish I could take creative credit for the color scheme, but am glad I found the full scale version for inspiration.

On the cockpit, I mentioned I spun it in and while there was damage everywhere else, the cockpit came through unscathed. I don't know if I would have rebuilt it all if I'd had to reconstruct that piece.

I haven't heard from Stan (Zipman), so don't know if he's continued on his or not. Hope he keeps plugging away...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2019, 08:28 PM
Got a PM from Zipman. His Cessna has been on the back burner and he said he will try to restart on it soon.

With flying season in full swing, I think that may be a while.
Last edited by PC Pilot; Jul 31, 2019 at 04:18 PM.
Jul 31, 2019, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelltf
. . . . I wish I could take creative credit for the color scheme, but am glad I found the full scale version for inspiration.
I have been scanning the thread for the color of the covering you used. Somehow I'm not looking in the right spot so could you provide the info again?
Jul 31, 2019, 08:16 PM
Thread OP
It was kind of buried in a post here

The copper is from HobbyKing, the brown and white are Ultracote.
Aug 19, 2019, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
A club member with camera skills caught some nice flying shots this weekend.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:08 PM
☠ -4
Looking good Tim. What is your AUW at this time? Also before you mentioned CG at 3.5" from leading edge but can you confirm if that is with gear up or down?
Aug 20, 2019, 11:10 AM
☠ -4
Rebuild update pics. Still need to finish painting the cowls but this is pretty much how the plane is going to look when done;

Aug 20, 2019, 12:11 PM
Thread OP
Really liking the scheme. I did a quick search on the Spectre logo, but didn't see anything. What's it from?

I did see your question on AUW and CG. I'll have to check tonight when I'm home.
Aug 20, 2019, 12:24 PM
☠ -4
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelltf
Really liking the scheme. I did a quick search on the Spectre logo, but didn't see anything. What's it from?

I did see your question on AUW and CG. I'll have to check tonight when I'm home.
The logo (winged part) is clipart I found when googling "aircraft logos". I set it over the triangle I made and needed to get some text in there so spectre is what came to mind (007 villains - kind of the antithesis of songbird). Basically I just made it up as I went along LOL.

I appreciate you checking on that. No hurry though so whenever yo get a moment and think about it. Also if you can tell me the throws you are using that would be fantastic as well.
Aug 20, 2019, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
A custom job, very cool. It's funny I did run "Spectre Cessna" through Google images and it returned the Britten Norman Islander flown by 007 in Spectre (which would make a great RC plane too...)

I know I was at 7 lb 14 oz for the maiden, but stripped out a few ounces of lead over subsequent flights to move the CG back. However, I may have added a little weight back through repairs.
Aug 21, 2019, 11:30 AM
☠ -4
Cowls painted. The testors paint I ordered from tower was a perfect match for the pearl smoke ultracote. Happy about that.

Plane is a bit of a porker though weighing in at 10lbs 2 ounces. I can shave off maybe 6 ounces by going with smaller batteries (2700 vs 3200 4S x 2) and smaller ESCs but I'll have to do a power run to see how much current I'm pulling. The plane was given to me with 100a escs but if I can drop those to 60 that would help save a little weight.

I am a little bigger at 65.25" wingspan and 52" fuselage length so that will account for some of the difference but I think the retracts and struts are where a lot of weight was added.

As it is with gear down and on the CG machine I can balance at 3.5" and have about 2 inches of forward space to move batteries (2700s) with no added weight.

I do have several planes of this size with similar wing loading and they all fly fantastic so I'm not too worried but don't like to carry more weight than needed if it can be avoided.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:01 PM
Thread OP
Cowls turned out great! I should have time tonight to pull out my balancer and get my CG location. I was at 3.5" gear down on my maiden and have since moved it back a little, so you're likely in a good spot.

Not sure how much it applies, but I can cruise at just under half throttle and get 8 mins out of a single 5200mah 4s with the cells at or just under 3.8v,

Quick Reply