APT ... Autogyro Progressive Trainer - Page 5 - RC Groups
Oct 21, 2014, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wright
I have a sneaky feeling your resolve and determination might just get you at least some tentative flights ......,:

Tom.
Tom,
I have no doubt I could fly off into the sunset ( or at least out of transmitter range) just the whole turning around thing has eluded me thus far

it seemed perfectly happy to fly straight ahead at moderate power in a nice gentle climb.

Dan
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2014, 03:04 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
The model it now ready for its maiden

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 21, 2014 at 03:56 AM.
Oct 21, 2014, 05:45 AM
Dan

Maybe you could have a word with Santa and get him to pick up a set of blades, plate, bearing set , motor and a few lengths of spruce from AJ .
Having the the right materials to hand would maximize your chance of some success
Ask Tony if he could include imperial and metric measurements on the drawings to save the cost of buying a metric ruler ?
Just spotted your post describing how your "foam whirly thingy" flew in a straight line, this indicates to me that the model was serviceable and in trim so we come back to the current project design aims and the effectiveness of the wing to make things easier, although some fixed wing previous may well have resulted in achieving a turn.
Note that once a low rate turn is imitated the stick must immediately be returned to neutral or even some opposite roll input before centering.Elevator is then used to pull through the turn. Expecting you to coordinate the controls correctly is a tall order without suitable previous or training.

Tom.
Oct 21, 2014, 06:00 AM
Hi Tom, Hi guys

Well I maidened the Easy autogyro (fixed head) this afternoon, would guess the wind was about 10 -12 km

I decided on a ROG (did I tell you I hate chucking models ) and she took of all on her own, a couple of clicks of down trim was all that was needed and she flew like a dream

Motor seemed a little underpowered, and seemed to be running a little on the hot side ... maybe that 9 x 6 prop will have try after all Tom

Video soon

Lockey
Oct 21, 2014, 06:17 AM
Tony

To get the build done and post all those photos in little over a day is very very impressive
At this point it would be great to be down under in person and at least do the first trim flight as this would identify any problem that could catch you out during the maiden.
I hope your experience with the prototype will get you through OK we have every thing crossed for a successful flight.

Tom.
Oct 21, 2014, 06:41 AM
Tony

Eee Lad I cannot post fast enough to keep up , do they call you Tony the typhoon ?

It sounds like the stage one flight test went well the video will certainly make my day brighter , as we have torrential rain and gales.

Well done and best regards

Tom.
Oct 21, 2014, 09:55 AM
Maiden video, this is the first leg of the tests

Lockey

Easy Autogyro Maiden Flight (12 min 44 sec)
Oct 22, 2014, 02:32 AM
Plans / patterns and build guide are all finished and just waiting for Toms approval

Should be ready to post soon

Is anyone going to have a go at this one ??

Lockey
Oct 22, 2014, 02:46 AM
Looking good Tony , have ordered some blades from AJ Blades so I can have a go myself.

Cheers Kev.
Oct 22, 2014, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco1
Looking good Tony , have ordered some blades from AJ Blades so I can have a go myself.

Cheers Kev.
On yea Kev, look forward to seeing your build, will send you the plans

Cheers mate

Lockey
Oct 22, 2014, 03:42 AM
This is a very simple and cheap single function head (it may have been done before ??)

For use with HK's 10 x 10 mm square CF tube ... could be used with other mast arrangements too

Get yourself a Durafly™ Auto-G Gyrocopter 821mm - Replacement Rotor Base Assembly from HK http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27739 ... and the pics show the rest

I used .8 mm fiberglass sheet for the hinge plates and packer

I guess it would need a couple of large 3 mm ply washers to sandwich the delta plate between

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 22, 2014 at 04:31 AM.
Oct 22, 2014, 06:13 AM
For use with this model

Lockey
Oct 22, 2014, 09:42 AM
I plan on giving this design a try, I have the head and mast from the HK auto gyro to use, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
I also have this head from HK, https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Head_Set.html It may work better with a 10X10 mast.

Mike
Oct 22, 2014, 10:43 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
For use with this model

Lockey
Perhaps a pushrod/clevis instead of a hard link, just for trim purposes.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:59 AM
Hi Mickey
Have you moved house ?
Re the control arm link ... this is only for use when the model is flown with rudder control only . In this mode the head is locked.
Regards
Tom.