Oct 17, 2014, 10:04 AM
Allways the hard way!
Lockey,

Am i blind or is the dimentions not posted yet due to fine-tuning?

George
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2014, 07:45 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy
Lockey,

Am i blind or is the dimentions not posted yet due to fine-tuning?

George
Hi George

Yes mate, I am still working on the plans / patterns and Tom would rather I didn't post them until we have tested the build and flying

Won't be long before I have the CF ones ready ... as you can see, I have already started the build

Lockey
Oct 17, 2014, 08:00 PM
George
Even a simple model requires a great deal of work to prepare the drawings and text to a good standard to say nothing of the test flying , and video proof.
Lockey is doing a great job in record breaking time, so it would be fair to say good things are worth the wait
Tom.
Oct 18, 2014, 05:31 AM
Another video with the test rig

Lockey

WAG 4 (5 min 3 sec)
Oct 18, 2014, 07:53 AM
Tony

Another great video showing how well you have masted ROG in such a short time. One comment about the flight which to me seemed to have been more demanding than necessary due to a constant turn to the right that needed some left trim .Without the wing this situation is a dead ringer for disorientation and demonstrates how well the wing works as a reference point.
The flat battery situation during the first ROG also demonstrates how a newbie can approach the first flights gradually by lifting off and landing straight ahead , this should also reveal if any radical trimming is needed before progressing into circuit work.
You will by now have noted that the bigger wing makes very little difference , and that the early flights were hampered by insufficient hang angle and a degree of over controlling. all very important points for first timers.

Tom.
Last edited by Tom Wright; Oct 18, 2014 at 08:08 AM. Reason: additions
Oct 18, 2014, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wright
Tony

Another great video showing how well you have masted ROG in such a short time. One comment about the flight which to me seemed to have been more demanding than necessary due to a constant turn to the right that needed some left trim .Without the wing this situation is a dead ringer for disorientation and demonstrates how well the wing works as a reference point.
The flat battery situation during the first ROG also demonstrates how a newbie can approach the first flights gradually by lifting off and landing straight ahead , this should also reveal if any radical trimming is needed before progressing into circuit work.
You will by now have noted that the bigger wing makes very little difference , and that the early flights were hampered by insufficient hang angle and a degree of over controlling. all very important points for first timers.

Tom.
You are exactly right on all counts Tom, the small wing (which was the first we tried and thought was too small) turned out it wasn't this after all

I am sure it was the hang angle that was way off (too tail heavy) and as we all know what this can do to a fixed wing airplane, I guess ... maybe to a lesser extent ... it does the same to an autogyro

Over controlling was also a contributing factor, as you told me ... small movements on the rudder and wait for it to react before giving another command ... the rudder does take a spit second before it reacts to the command ... all good things to know, trouble is, its difficult to try and remember everything at first, after a while it does tend to come naturally

Lockey
Oct 18, 2014, 01:06 PM
Hey Guys: Seems like you do not have enough Rotor speed to overcome the birds drag, ergo all the Porpoising! Gyros are best in 10-15 mph winds: Just from my experiences: Hope it helps a bit. PARCS46
Oct 18, 2014, 03:15 PM
What has rotor speed got to do with got to do with ,over coming airframe drag? If you would like to join the thread and learn a little about auto gyros or more particularly the model featured you will be very welcome.
Oct 19, 2014, 06:09 PM
waiting SO impatiently for this .... seems to be exactly what I need......fixed wing pilot ( actual not rc ) coming into this with no RC experience has been rather more daunting than I had imagined.
Oct 19, 2014, 07:09 PM
Grewuuf

No RC experience Any type of auto gyro needs current RC experience to a reasonable standard . I have a private pilots license , gained after many years of RC flying but IMHO most general aviation pilots need to start from square one when it comes to flying RC models . OK this project will not cost much so there is not a great deal to loose but a fair bit of simulator work ,or better still becoming competent flying a light trainer would be recommended.
Are there any RC clubs in your area? if so it would be good to join and get some training.

Tom.
Oct 19, 2014, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywuuf
waiting SO impatiently for this .... seems to be exactly what I need......fixed wing pilot ( actual not rc ) coming into this with no RC experience has been rather more daunting than I had imagined.
WOW Greywuuf, 10 out of 10 mate for your guts ... I have been flying fixed win (RC) for over 35 years and I have had problems flying autogyro

As Tom says, I think you would be well advised to fly a fixed wing model first before attempting to fly autogyro or you may get totally disheartened and give up all together

I would recommend the "Bixler" as a trainer to get you rolling http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html

If you want to build one, this one flies like a trainer ... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post29625142

Lockey
Oct 19, 2014, 09:05 PM
Pffft......if I ain't crashing I ain't Lernering.....least with RC I suffer a lot fewer actual broken bones
Oct 19, 2014, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Pffft......if I ain't crashing I ain't Lernering.....least with RC I suffer a lot fewer actual broken bones
Mate ... crashing is part of flying model airplanes BUT in the early days, it can get frustrating ... especially if you are going it alone

You say you are a pilot, don't know what you fly, but when you were leaning to fly, you wouldn't have started learning in a low wing aerobatic plane, it would have probably been a high wing Cessna or similar aircraft, it is the same with learning to fly RC

If you have a club near by, try contacting them and join if possible, they will have guys more than happy to teach you, if not, get yourself a flight simulator and practice with that before attempting to fly a model

You must also decide what mode on your TX you are going to fly with ... and stick to it

I may be telling you how to suck eggs, but we all have to start somewhere and IMHO, autogyro is not the place to start

Hope this helps

Lockey
Oct 19, 2014, 10:59 PM
Well, there are no clubs that zi know of....nor any hobby shops. Though that is really ok with me ...I am not a club person. I fly mode....uhm whatever......throttle and rudder on the left normal "stick" function on the right....just makes sense to me that way. Really a simulator? Seems like a video game to me...and I have never found them to be like.....uhm anything they are simulating.....just saying.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Well, there are no clubs that zi know of....nor any hobby shops. Though that is really ok with me ...I am not a club person. I fly mode....uhm whatever......throttle and rudder on the left normal "stick" function on the right....just makes sense to me that way. Really a simulator? Seems like a video game to me...and I have never found them to be like.....uhm anything they are simulating.....just saying.
You are flying Mode2 ... thats the way I fly

I have a friend in the UK who comes over to visit from time to time, he had only ever flown with a sim (successfully) many crashes trying to go it alone

I took him out with a Bixler and handed him the TX and he flew it without any problems ... if the model is in trim, your half way there

Autogyros are not easy to fly (even for an experienced fixed wing pilot ... I am talking RC) I can assure you of that and certainly NOT the way to learn to fly RC

Lockey