APT ... Autogyro Progressive Trainer - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 16, 2014, 04:51 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
The boom and mast here is from 1/2" x 1/4" spruce, I will also do one from 10 x 10 mm square CF

The green parts are .8 mm fiberglass sheet, and the alternative head (last 4 pics) use a couple of bits of 20 x 12 mm aluminum angle

I have also done a couple of variations for the moving head

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 16, 2014 at 04:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2014, 05:01 AM
Then the wing, this is held in place by lacky bands

Lockey
Oct 16, 2014, 05:38 AM
Looking good Tony, cant wait to have a go myself.

Cheers Kev.
Oct 16, 2014, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco1
Looking good Tony, cant wait to have a go myself.

Cheers Kev.
On yea Kev ... my CF square tube arrived today, seems quite strong and has about a 8mm round hollow centre, maybe slide a dowel inside where the bolts go through ... or maybe just glue the parts on as I can't see this breaking in a hurry

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=46701 Got mine from the Australian warehouse, but I guess its available at from most countries ... and just the right length for the boom too, you will need 2 lengths, one for the boom and another 1/2 length for the mast

Lockey
Oct 16, 2014, 06:24 AM
Hi all
The primary aim is to design and present the model so it flies exceptionally well then keep the construction simple and robust enough to cope with rough and tumble, but it is impossible to design in significant crash resistance when put into the ground at high speed under power and down wind.

Don't get me wrong here Tonys modular idea is good and I am not criticizing his valiant efforts that are well documented in the videos, but more importantly helping newbies to avoid such situations by accurately specifying control throws, cog etc, that have been established though newbie flight testing and then setting values that allow for some over controlling should be be a good starting point.

I can fly my model and find it boringly easy with or without the wing, despite the fact I am no ace pilot but! this does not mean a first time pilot with a good grounding in fixed wing would necessarily do so well right from the off, although in my experience most do when presented with a model that is correctly built and in reasonable trim so the next thing is how builders interpret the build information posted, It must be stressed that the model should be built as per plan or instructions, so such documents must be accurate and not open to misinterpretation by any reasonably experienced constructor. The problem with experienced constructors is they invariably change things and add there own ideas based on fixed wing knowledge , this is not a good idea without first learning to fly an auto-gyro and have at least a basic knowledge of what makes them work.... ....many misconceptions about auto gyros are still held and frequently passed on but often not helping the pilot trying to succeed.

I hope this thread will attract some that have previously failed and some wanting to have a go at these interesting models .

Tom.
Oct 16, 2014, 06:37 AM
Allways the hard way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wright
....The problem with experienced constructors is they invariably change things and add there own ideas based on fixed wing knowledge ....
In all probability why my CFL was not a very good experiance! I've flown everything electric from slooow flyers to 130mph jets but the CRANE had me totally stumped!

Strictly RTFM this time! Except maybe the blades and the.. and the.. NO! Shut up and listen!

George
Oct 16, 2014, 06:38 AM
Thanks Tom, and you are exactly right in what you say, without your help and guidance, I would never have flown autogyro at all

Here is the other variation using the carbon fiber square tube and aluminium angle

Lockey
Oct 16, 2014, 06:43 AM
Blades are something else ... although I made my own and I will show how I made them, I would recomend you consider getting a couple of sets from AJ Blades (I have) they are very reasonable and shipping costs are not bad either

http://www.ajblades.co.uk/

They still need the ends finishing, but this isn't as daunting as actually making the blades, I made my first set from scratch (set of 3 blades) in about an hour and a half to 2 hours ... less time than it takes to make a wing with ailerons

you will need a sheet of 5 or 6 mm balsa and a couple of lengths of 10 x 6 mm spruce (or similar)

I got 4 blades out of the sheet (70 x 900 mm) each blade will then be 450 x 35 ... add the 10 mm spruce and you end up with a blade about 45 mm wide ... this is just fine

I used CA to glue the spruce to the balsa, although I believe they recommend using epoxy for this (Tom will no doubt be able to verify this)

Sand the spruce / balsa blade nice and flat both sides and then draw the airfoil shape on one end, extend the lines through the blade with a pencil and this is where you need to remove the material ... I used a razor plane to remove most of the spruce and balsa and then sanded from there

I will go into more detail later on this, and maybe Tom can come in with some good advice on this too

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 16, 2014 at 08:52 AM.
Oct 16, 2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks again for posting all of this. I'm curious how much that little wing makes a difference. Does it really help? How much? Seems like a brilliant idea to me...
Oct 16, 2014, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmore
Thanks again for posting all of this. I'm curious how much that little wing makes a difference. Does it really help? How much? Seems like a brilliant idea to me...
Hi mate, the "little wing" made one hell of a difference to me as a learner ... as its been said, its like having trainer wheels on a bike

I doesn't do much as far as lift, I think the rotors still take care of that ... BUT it does make the model more stable and a BIG plus for learners like myself as far as orientation goes

My guess would be that most newbie to autogyro would say that their main reason for crashing would be ... "I lost orientation" and the "little wing" somehow helps a lot

Do you fly AG crashmore ?

Lockey
Oct 16, 2014, 07:52 PM
As the blades are the most important part of the model getting them right is a must. It is not at all difficult to build them from scratch if! they are built to the correct specifications.
If at all possible use the recommended blades from http://www.ajblades.co.uk/ and ask for a set of 450s. Prepare them to the instructions that will included in this thread and the builder should end up with rotors that spin up well and give the amount of lift suited to this model.
Tom.
Oct 17, 2014, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Do you fly AG crashmore ?
That remains to be seen. Ask me again on Monday.

I have a box full of failed attempts to design and build my own four or five years ago. ("How hard could it be?" ) Now I have an Auto-G2 that I'm trying to fly. It's great to have a reasonably priced ARF intro machine. Maybe I just need to stick some wings on it...
Oct 17, 2014, 03:48 AM
Easy fix of the boom from the crash, going for a fly now, will use the small wing though this time

Lockey
Oct 17, 2014, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Easy fix of the boom from the crash, going for a fly now, will use the small wing though this time

Lockey
Thats the advantage of a simple structure, a five minute job and its fixed

Tom.
Oct 17, 2014, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wright
Thats the advantage of a simple structure, a five minute job and its fixed

Tom.
So right Tom

Have started the build of the new one, here it is so far

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 17, 2014 at 09:23 AM.