Oct 22, 2014, 04:21 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
awesome ,thanks for posting been looking for a new plane for Xmas , all wood should make a nice epowered plane , don't like the covering but some paint could fix that , VQ over does everything , I had two of there P40ties and wood is a concern but there getting better
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2014, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
What is the concern with the wood?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:11 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
On the two P40ties I had , first one had super weak sheeting top deck and weak at the trailing edge of the wing .
On my second one I noticed the same thing so before I even started the build I purchased some flite skin ( paper thin fiberglass sheeting ) , you sand the flight skin and you simply cut to fit and afix with CA . It really made the differance .
The planes are typically very good and advanced with the Fw190 but early verions of the P40 that came into the states ( 12 -15 years ago had bad wing issues and it was even reported in a mag reveiw and you know they never say anything bad lol .
So based on the recent FW I am can only assume all is well with the VQ wood .
I am also assuming this is the super thick covering , not a huge fan but the plane does look good
Oct 23, 2014, 01:26 AM
well pre ordered mine , so hopefully i'll get it in 4 weeks when the shipment comes in.
Oct 23, 2014, 04:25 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I will be doing the same Thomas ( VQ) is a great guy started out as a hobbiest who just got into the distribution business and he makes good on all his promises.
Some pics of my VQ P40, was seafoam green and then painted for some tweeking and added an interior , good solid plane when done
Oct 27, 2014, 09:44 AM
Cowboy of the skys
pre ordered
Nov 08, 2014, 04:56 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
This one looks awesome!
Nov 08, 2014, 06:53 PM
Oh crap, the release has been pushed to the 31'st of December :\

Ldm, what kind/brand of paint did you use, and did you paint straight onto the covering?
Nov 08, 2014, 07:06 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Styx I am used Model masters , light sand on the covering and painted no problem .
Also when I sold the plane it was repainted agian and the guy said no problems again .
Nov 09, 2014, 05:58 AM
Interesting. I'll give it a go sometime.
I have always been afraid that the paint would crackle up over time
Nov 09, 2014, 06:40 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
If you have seen the VQ covering its like a thick contact paper , very thick. I actually think its adds strength but very difficult to replace , remove and tweek so painting is your best option .
The Dauntless looks good, many early verions of the VQ planes were "over weathered" .
I am curious to see if they have better QC on the wood.
Now you if get the kit , before I added one piece of equipment I would see how the sheeting feels , again I am a fan of VQ and Thomas the distributor in Texas but the wood needed work from the inside as stated earlier in my the thread .
I used Flit-Skin with CA and lined the inside fuse at the week points, I may even try a styro spary as it appears to be an easy to use product that can be brushed on
Nov 17, 2014, 03:51 PM
Here we go again. I just pre-ordered as well.
I'm currently finishing an electric powered P51-B from VQ and the wood quality on my airframe is quite good. Had to add a battery hatch on that one so this bird is an improvement in that regard.

I can't wait to get this one to the field.
Should turn some heads
Nov 28, 2014, 12:34 AM
Cool just got a phone call my Dauntless is in stock and being posted today
Nov 29, 2014, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Insley
Here we go again. I just pre-ordered as well.
I'm currently finishing an electric powered P51-B from VQ and the wood quality on my airframe is quite good. Had to add a battery hatch on that one so this bird is an improvement in that regard.

I can't wait to get this one to the field.
Should turn some heads
Matt,
Can you tell me what power system you are using for the VQ?
Thanks,
Frank
Nov 29, 2014, 09:12 PM
I recently bought and built the VQ Zero. The quality of the wood was good. The joints were all very well done. I know that because the first thing I did was peel the ugly looking covering off and strip it down to the bare balsa. All of the sheathing was good. No spongy areas at all.

I covered it with Minwax polycrylic and .56 fiberglass. It's very rugged now.
Airbrushed it with latex paint and fuel proofed it.
It flys great! I put in a Saito FA-72. Sorry not electric...
But with the Saito 72 in it, it was very fast and powerful. So for electric it would fly well on a 4S Power 46, or Turnigy G46.
And I would also say that on a Turnigy G60 500Kv on a 5S it would be very fast.
I used simlar power systems on my Hangar 9 Corsair 50 and Hangar 9 P-40B.

I also bought the VQ Hawker Hurricane and even though that one looked better I stripped it down to bare balsa and used Balsarite and Sig Koverall on the wing, but still used fiberglass on the fusilage. I am still working on that one.
The wood was also very good on this one as well.
So I don't believe wood is and issue at all on the newer VQ planes.

I also found VQ great to deal with. A very fair shipping cost and fast shipping.

I'm seriously considering buying the Dauntless too.
It looks really good!

Quick Reply