This thread is privately moderated by Old_Pilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 14, 2014, 07:25 AM
Morituri non cognot
Thread OP
Build Log

StealthStream 1.0

Several of my buddies at the club asked me if I could make the Jetstream look like the F-117......I cut it out yesterday and will finish the assembly today...hopefully fly her Thursday...weather permitting....The F-117 doesn't translate well to elevons.....but it's close

Parts are on 36x48 paper......blanks are 30x40x3/16 PFF (outline).......Assembly drawing is not to scale

She's a lot easier to cut out ...no curves.....I used a 48" long aluminum sheet rock ruler...took about an hour

Update......My wife said....."OOOO...that's wicked"

The yellow tape is "Frog Tape".....anybody ever used it for hinges ?

Update...flew her this morning....she's a handful...I cut the throws down to 50% and she would still do a nice tight roll......biggest thing I learned........don't fly a flat black airplane against an overcast sky in gusty winds.......I got her down with no damage.. got the right gust at just the right time and plopped her down right in front of me...not even a grass stain....

Today was a much better day to fly......clear and calm...and the runway was cut this morning......perfect

Big Al is the launch crew, I'm the cameraman, and Group Captain Richard "The Gudgeonmaker" is at the controls.

10/16/2014 Flight Notes:

1. Don't paint the bottom an already low-vis airplane sky blue.....What was I thinking ?
2. The 1050 prop seems to be the best all around. 1060 has better speed. 1070 overheats the motor.
3. Best balance point so far is right at the front of the fins.

StealthStream I Maiden (1 min 43 sec)
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Oct 17, 2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Flight Performance notes
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2014, 10:16 AM
Morituri non cognot
Thread OP

Notes on the StealthStream

I'm finishing (4) more StealthStreams this morning......and I thought it may be a good idea to post what I've learned about building her.

Sequence:

Cut out all the parts, remembering to bevel the inside edges of the canopy and the elevons...I do it with a straight edge, holding the knife at ~ 45 degree angle and trimming about 3/16 off. Save the prop cutout .

I suggest that you cut the notches in the upper wing plate after gluing it to the bottom wing plate, using the notches in the lower plate as a guide.

Tape the elevons to the back of the wing plate. I use Frog Tape (Home Depot)

Let in the spar, being careful not to cut through the paper on the bottom of the wing plate. I use epoxy to secure. Spars can be 1/8" pine dowels or carbon fiber...builders choice. Frog Tape over the top after the glue cures.

Glue the top wing plates down. I use TiteBond II or Elmer's White Glue, weighted with gallon paint cans (full). Let the glue cure.

Bevel the leading edge of the top wing plate, sand, and tape...Frog Tape again. Cut the notches for the fins in the top wing plate.

Nose strength can be enhanced using a dowel or a piece of CF. Let in at the centerline.

Motor Plates and Firewall:

I use 3/16" Lauan for the top motor plate and firewall, pre-drilling the screw and motor wiring holes. 1/8" light ply for the underside motor plate will work fine. Epoxy both plates and install #8x1/2 SM screws to hold everything in place. Machine screws with blind nuts also work.

Firewall is inset 1 5/16" from the back of the motor plate, based the motor I'm using..more epoxy.

Final Assembly:

Glue the canopy down to the top of the firewall and along it's entire length....foam safe CA, TiteBond, or epoxy.......Thin CA works fine. Back of the canopy is flush with the back of the motor plate.

Glue the fins in place.

Painting:

I'm using Rustoleum Painter's Choice Paint and Primer spray paint from Home Depot, and for the most part, the jet is flat black on top and white on the bottom with an invasion stripe if desired. But color is up to the builder, though I suggest that the top and bottom are hi-vis and opposite in colors. .She's hard enough to see as it is !

Hardware: My only suggestion is to start with minimum throws on the elevons until you get a feel for how she performs. One of the guys set the throws to maximum and with full up elevator, she'll all but stop in mid air.......kinda like the maneuver that Tom Cruise did in Top Gun

Balance point is at the front edge of the fins. She's pretty docile balanced right there....her "stall" is just nosing over...farther back and the excitement increases.

The 1500 kv motor really helped her, especially at launch.....and a 9060 APC electric prop will make her scream.

APCE 9060 prop (9x6 electric)

Servos....HiTec HS 82 MG

Power Plant for the black jet

Golden Power 2217/6 1500 kV...

No. of Cells: 2 - 3 Li-Poly
Kv: 1500 RPM/V
Max Efficiency: 80%
Max Efficiency Current: 8 - 22A (>70%)
Load Current: 1.6A @10V
Resistance: 0.100 ohms
Max Current: 28A for 60S
Max Watts: 311W for 60S
Weight: 70g / 2.45 oz.
Size: 27.5 mm x 30 mm
Shaft Diameter: 4mm

Buddy RC

http://www.buddyrc.com/golden-power-...ess-motor.html

Have fun.
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Nov 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply