Blejzyk Spin Build Log - RC Groups
Oct 13, 2014, 07:30 AM
Build Log

Blejzyk Spin Build Log

Hi all

I ordered a Blejzyk Spin from Aloft Hobbies and thought I'd share what I've done.
I only started taking pics once I'd got partway through. I wasn't sure if it was going to be worth doing a build log until I got started on it.
The glider is the Blejzyk Spin, a 1.5 mtr slope soarer. It's a glass fuse with foam core/ wood veneer wings, and a vtail.

I decided to do the wings with waterbased polyurethane, tailplane as well. I also glassed a 2" strip top and bottom.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2014, 09:09 PM

Pseudonym

Jesus Nut,

Just wondering if you got your avatar sobriquet from the old Army helicopter pilot's vernacular. Worked with a guy who had flown helicopters in Vietnam & he alluded to the large top nut that held the main rotor gimbals to the vertical shaft on the smaller Hiller helicopters. He said they called it "the jesus nut", because if it ever became unfastened in flight it was "whoa jesus!...." time! ??

Richard
Last edited by CFIMEI; Oct 14, 2014 at 12:29 AM.
Oct 13, 2014, 09:57 PM
Bernoulli was only guessing.
I have a Blejzyk FAUN I bought from Aloft Hobbies a few weeks ago; itís going to be a fun winter build.

Keep your build log going
Oct 14, 2014, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIMEI
Jesus Nut,

Just wondering if you got your avatar sobriquet from the old Army helicopter pilot's vernacular. Worked with a guy who had flown helicopters in Vietnam & he alluded to the large top nut that held the main rotor gimbals to the vertical shaft on the smaller Hiller helicopters. He said they called it "the jesus nut", because if it ever became unfastened in flight it was "whoa jesus!...." time! ??

Richard
Yes it is. When I set up this profile I was flying electric helis, so the name kind of fitted. Nothing to do with religion.
Oct 14, 2014, 02:13 AM
On to the fuselage. I cut a hole in the wing saddle with the dremel and glued in the blocks. I went a bit far sanding the supplied blocks so I cut some more from 8mm marine ply.
Oct 14, 2014, 02:19 AM
I glued the v tail together using aliphatic resin. I know everyone will say to use epoxy. This is just to set the angle. The epoxy and glass will come later.
Oct 14, 2014, 02:28 AM
I added some carbon to the inside of the fuselage, just because.
Oct 14, 2014, 02:33 AM
Looking at the area where the v tail attaches, it wasn't that flat so I gave it a bit of a sand.
Oct 14, 2014, 02:35 AM
So it gets a layer of microballoons which I'll sand smooth and level with the wing saddle.
Oct 14, 2014, 02:37 AM
The canopy is a great fit. I need to get some tiny magnets to hold it in place. I've sanded it down so I can spray it a different colour - probably black.
Oct 14, 2014, 02:54 AM
Ok, so I marked out where the wing attachment screws should go and drilled the holes. Then I counterbored them a bit to take the little inserts. I glued these in with 5 minute epoxy-steel, since it's the only epoxy that I have that sticks to plastic.
Oct 15, 2014, 08:37 AM
The inside of the v tail has been glassed with 2 layers of 48g/m2 cloth.
I'm still not sure whether to make the tail removable or not. Does it need to be?
Glueing is easier and lighter. Though a removable tail might survive a bad landing better. The kit comes with 2 x M2 plastic screws to make the tail a screw-on type.
Decisions decisions. I'm leaning towards glueing it on. We'll see
Last edited by Jesus Nut; Oct 15, 2014 at 08:50 AM.
Oct 19, 2014, 05:54 PM
I wasn't that happy with the way the wing sat on the wing saddle so I decided to bed it in.