Jul 06, 2015, 08:20 PM
Farmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats
Yep.
Some poor little Birch tree gave its soul for this boat.
The plans have arrived for my next build.
Such Crust III. Driven by two Allison V12 engines in line.
So there goes another Birch tree.
Hey its put to good use, when you starting this build, should be awesome, I want to see start to finish lol
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2015, 03:20 AM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Thread OP
I've got a few other projects to finish off first so it might be a while before I get my teeth stuck into it.
But damn it's a big boat. The original was 34' so at 1/8th scale it is a 51" model.
Sep 01, 2015, 03:02 AM
Thread OP
A bit of an update.
Trev has put some graphics on the boat now. Love it.
Just waiting for a driver.
Oct 27, 2020, 11:32 PM
Aviation Enthusiast
I know this is an old post, but how are you guys holding the hatches on and keeping water out? I see the cowl is held to the hatches with magnets. I'm thinking the hatches are taped on then the cowl is set in place?
Oct 28, 2020, 04:23 PM
Steps? What steps?
Most FE race boats use tape to seal the hatch. It’s easy, cheap, and works. Foam rubber and screws do not. Depending on the paint used on the deck and hatch, I use either colored electrical tape or hockey tape.

Oct 28, 2020, 06:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
I know this is an old post, but how are you guys holding the hatches on and keeping water out? I see the cowl is held to the hatches with magnets. I'm thinking the hatches are taped on then the cowl is set in place?
Hi there nhk750.
As Zozer states. Hockey tape is the preferred hold down for most boats for racing.

However with this 1/8 scale hydro, and with some of my own 1/8 scale hydros, We use a sub hatch cover that is taped down to completely seal the boat. And then the cowling itself is held on by strong neodymium magnets. That way in a big flip & crash if the cowling comes off, the sub hatch still keeps the boat sealed.
Post #13 in this thread shows the sub hatch and the cowling with the ring magnets.

In some of my other boats like the U-95, the sub hatch is taped down & (in that case) the 2 piece cowling is held in place with locating tabs & hold down screws.
You'll see how it is done in this thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ale-U-95-Hydro

I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers.
Paul.
Oct 28, 2020, 11:14 PM
Aviation Enthusiast
Yes I like your methods, very cool. Thanks for the links they will be very helpful.

Quick Reply