Sep 17, 2019, 06:09 PM
Heligamist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Moyer
you don't use the same tx you fly with?
Nope. A dedicated sim TX is more convenient. I was using the Futaba based Interlink Elite and now the DX has come out. Everything is the same as my DX9 now. Plus it has 15 channels.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 06:25 PM
whatever works for ya I like to have the same tx I fly with for the sim too, I guess if it feels like your main tx it's golden!
Sep 17, 2019, 06:27 PM
☆ OVERDISCHARGE MASTER ☆
Thread OP
What about pot?
Sep 17, 2019, 07:43 PM
pot... I have a CDL, so I stay away from it, but it's my understanding it has become much stronger since the '80's (sorry, I HAD to, you understand...)
Sep 17, 2019, 10:00 PM
☆ OVERDISCHARGE MASTER ☆
Thread OP
Pot wear..if you use it for sim, then sessions can be extended beyond regular 5 minutes and they wear out.

Hence the dedicated tx for virtual world.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:16 AM
Genius man
Or if you have Hall Effect gimbals then no wear.
Sep 18, 2019, 05:33 AM
I have replaced gimbals in 2 of them so far. they will be hall effect on my next go round... I wear them out no matter what, though I have been flying much less recently, and on the sim even less than that. I hadn't thought of excessive wear on the sim. makes sense though
Sep 18, 2019, 05:42 AM
Heligamist
My old Interlink Elite has gone a great many years. It's to the point though I often have to clean it or things will drift or glitch. That's why I decided to splurge on the new one. It works well in all the sims once configured.

As far as pot .. well I'm still waiting for it to become legal here. Then it's bye bye to much of my pain medication that is actually worse in many ways. Of course it's kept quite a few big pharma companies and their executives rich over all the decades.
Sep 18, 2019, 07:34 AM
Turnigynarian

Thermal cutoff

Four flights with the Forza 450, since the Protos awaits replacement frames. @ Vik - yes, the frames cracked front and rear after a heavy pancake landing from about 30ft up, zero HS, onto recently cut long grass. Could have been much worse!

At the end of the 4th Forza flight, I brought it in after 4 minutes, but noticed it seemed very quiet. HS was quite low, but I managed to do a sliding auto onto the tarmac parking lot.

I assumed the ESC had gone into LVC, and that the 3s 2200 Turnigy 40c pack had failed - but checking the flight data logs for the Superbrain 45A ESC, it turns out it had gone into high temperature protection. I normally alternate flights with the Forza and the Protos, but in the absence of the Protos, I flew the Forza continuously, and of course it only takes a few seconds to change the battery. The cutoff point seems to be 80c. First flight got up to 60c, second to 75c, third just hit 80c right at the end. I recall JPF saying that he never bothered letting his helis cool down in between flights - but I guess there's a difference between flying in Aberdeen and Louisiana. I fly in the mornings, to avoid the worst heat of the day, but it's been about 80f (27c) even at 08:00.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:17 AM
☆ OVERDISCHARGE MASTER ☆
Thread OP
Well, I guess it was a lucky pancake. It's amazing what kind of crashes my helu walked awry from with broken skid, bent shaft and a set of blades..

Its windy and cool today. Could've been a perfect t opportunity to fly, but ahh.....werk! Love werk!
Sep 18, 2019, 12:42 PM
It was perfect earlier. I hope you get better hours someday! Or retire!
Sep 18, 2019, 01:18 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
The cutoff point seems to be 80c. First flight got up to 60c, second to 75c, third just hit 80c right at the end. I recall JPF saying that he never bothered letting his helis cool down in between flights - but I guess there's a difference between flying in Aberdeen and Louisiana. I fly in the mornings, to avoid the worst heat of the day, but it's been about 80f (27c) even at 08:00.
Yeah, slight difference in temperatures between Aberdeen and Louisiana Were you maybe running a lowish throttle %... that can cause an ESC to run hot. A fan on the ESC works good too, mine are usually barely even slightly warm.
Sep 18, 2019, 04:34 PM
Genius man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Moyer
I have replaced gimbals in 2 of them so far. they will be hall effect on my next go round... I wear them out no matter what, though I have been flying much less recently, and on the sim even less than that. I hadn't thought of excessive wear on the sim. makes sense though
These gimbals must have a hard life;

ALAN SZABO STICK MOVEMENTS MOD 2 (3 min 59 sec)
Sep 18, 2019, 08:13 PM
rc user
think i figured out the tail wag on my trex500, found a lot of axial play in a tail grip- the bolt was backing out. I flew it a couple times like this, with the tail kicking.
lucky the remaining engaged threads on the tiny 2mm bolt held the grip in place, otherwise another rebuild would be in order.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:52 AM
Turnigynarian

77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Yeah, slight difference in temperatures between Aberdeen and Louisiana Were you maybe running a lowish throttle %... that can cause an ESC to run hot. A fan on the ESC works good too, mine are usually barely even slightly warm.
I run gov mode, effectively it's gov store mode, and on the Forza, 77% throttle gives me HS2950. The 40A Superbrain was very prone to overheating at low throttle, but not the 45A. From the flight logs, however, it's clear that I need to let the ESC cool down between flights. I don't think I could squeeze a fan into an already tight installation. I could extend the cooling hole in the front of the canopy, but it would spoil the look and also weaken it - so I'll just wait a little between flights, and see if things improve when (if) the weather gets cooler.

Quick Reply