This thread is privately moderated by winchdoc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 10, 2014, 05:49 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
Thread OP
Discussion

wing bling

People that know me know how I love to make tricky-trick servo installs.

It seems that everyone wants to reduce blisters on their wings. To do this, There have been RDS, LDS, RDH LSD, Rotomilan, Servoarmen, and others introducing
wing mount servo drive systems. The idea here is to use as short as possible servo arm connected to an equally short control surface arm.

I'm building a Kinetic 2MDP that I got from Spencer. One of the build challenges besides tight precise linkages, is to get the aileron pushrod short enough to fit.

Like other people I have been using MKS servos in the CNC machined aluminum mount with integral outrigger bearing. I like these mounts a lot but they have a few shortcomings IMHO.

The outrigger bearing has a shaft that replaces the servo arm retaining screw.
When using a clevis on a short arm it is sometimes "necessary" to grind away half of the clevis' strength in order to use full rotation of the servo. For me this is unacceptable. My usual alternative is a top mount ball link, but even this can interfere with the outrigger bearing shaft.

Tony Fu sells a bearing kit that includes just the bearing in a mount and you can retrofit your install for a tighter linkage.

So far all the available servo mount/drive systems have something that the picky bastard in me would like to see done differently.
Some have weak materials, (but lighter) some require very precise installation, and 'break-in period', or excessive current drain could cause a fire.
Some get too sloppy over time.
Grub screw impinging directly on servo splines- shame on you.

So once again, I'm rolling my own. This time it's a MKS servo mount with outrigger bearing and drive system, specifically for the K2MDP but I will also put these in my new SRTL build instead of the Ming mounts I had saved for it.

I will try to address all the shortcomings (as I see them) in this new design.
Last edited by winchdoc; Oct 13, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2014, 08:04 PM
Bling
like a crank shaft
Last edited by TomFlyer; Oct 10, 2014 at 08:22 PM.
Oct 10, 2014, 09:18 PM
Heavy's good, heavy's reliable
Really cool!!

Wish I had a 3-in-1
Oct 10, 2014, 09:23 PM
Certifiable User
Makes sense Doc. I might need a set of these for my next build.

Please post some install pictures when you get to it.

Lee
Oct 11, 2014, 03:41 AM
Where is the inspiration
I have just had a very similar issue on my groove armada aileron install.

The servos where moulded into the wing, but being in a hurry I put the servo output to the trailing edge and not the leading edge.

This meant clevis to clevis was impossible. So I went for a M3 Clevis with a multiplex M3 Ring screw. What I didn't like in my install is that the ring screw is screwed to the aileron aluminium servo arm. and to me this in not balanced and can twist the little M2 screw holding it together.

So I am very interested in this solution. The only incompatibility is the hub / Radius length is set. Unlike a standard servo arm where you have options to put then in different holes. I would need a larger radius as my aileron push rods are external.
Oct 11, 2014, 08:45 AM
Eagle Butte User
Great job, Doug! Will now have to consider redoing the linkages on some of my models with WBH (Wing Bling Hardware).
Oct 12, 2014, 09:32 AM
kdt
kdt

I'm in Doug

Looks very nice! Let me know when they will be available and I will send you $...
Oct 15, 2014, 07:15 PM
Cool.
Oct 16, 2014, 09:05 AM
Doc: It was great to see you at the PSS "swap meet" Tuesday night. Seeing your new servo linkage system in real time and space was great. I hope you do a big run of these to help keep the per unit cost down as they would be fantastic in my new Energic. Looks like their will need to be right hand and left hand units?

When do you go into production? When will you be taking orders? Do you take pre- orders

Tom, who will start saving some of his monthly SS check.
Oct 16, 2014, 10:40 AM
Yes, ALL your money...
Thread OP

Wing Bling build list

I'm planning a short trial run of 9 sets. 4 sets are not spoken for.
You get your name on the build list, and pay no money till they are ready.
I'll let you know when it is time to PAY UP.

I plan to run them all as flush mount except for those specifically for the K2 M , the remainder will be flush mount like in the pic. So, if you want Kinetic mounts, better say so (REAL SOON) before I run them all.

Generic mount set:
Set of 4 MKS mounts with your choice length arms (3.5mm 5.0mm 9.0mm)
2 left 2 right & 4 male or female thread links.
$125

Kinetic specific mounts & horns:
Set of 4 MKS mounts with offset base, 2 left 2 right with 9mm and 5mm arms for flaps & ailerons, and (4) 4-40 male threaded links for the short pushrods needed.
Includes one extra mount for elevator servo with super-short 3.5mm arm & 2-56 threaded link for Kinetic elevator pushrod.
$150

4 mounts $125

I am not taking any quick & dirty shortcuts on this project, because I am tooling it for production, so, if these prove to be popular, I will be able to make more, and perhaps different length drive arms down the road.
Your participation helps pay for tooling I have to have made, (MKS spline tool) and fund the R&D to ensure more cool projects come out of the hut in the woods.

Back to work

WinchDoc
Last edited by winchdoc; Nov 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM.
Oct 16, 2014, 11:29 AM
Doug:

Sign me up for a GENERIC set . I will be putting them in an ENERGIC. Looks like I need to get (4) MKS DS6125 servos when I order my Energic.

Tom

PS What servo for the elevator? And what about the rudder?
Last edited by TomFlyer; Oct 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: questions / changes
Oct 16, 2014, 11:54 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFlyer
Doug:

Sign me up for a Kinetic set for the $150. Looks like I need to get (4) MKS DS6125 servos when I order my Kinetic.

Tom

PS What servo for the elevator? And what about the rudder?
Why cheap out? Go brushless!

Rudder?

Doc, Please add me to the Kinetic list.
Oct 16, 2014, 12:03 PM
Heavy's good, heavy's reliable
Sign me up for a set for a K2M

Brandon
Oct 16, 2014, 12:54 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
Thread OP

Build list closed

Well that was fast.

KDT Kinetic
Spencer Kinetic
TomFlyer Generic
1000 MPH Kinetic
BDK74 Kinetic
AlpineDSacro Kinetic

This will take up all the parts I'm running except for my personal stash.
Those that missed out, stay tuned...
Last edited by winchdoc; Oct 17, 2014 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply