May 01, 2004, 09:42 AM

Changing defaults when saving photo files in XP???

For some reason my PC saves photo files as ".JPG" and the site that I upload to for reviews needs them as ".jpg".

Is there any way to get windoze XP to change the default to ".jpg" so I don't have to do every file manually when I upload the things and start sending zipped sets of them instead of one at a time???

Thanks for your help oh knowledgable ones.... please make your directions if this is possible very-very simple for me!!!!
May 01, 2004, 10:48 AM
Tacoma, WA, USA
What 'program' are you using ?

(might be wrong, but I don't think it's a XP setting)
May 01, 2004, 10:56 AM
It's not XP, but the software that you either create files with, or the hardware that's creating them on the media. I have am Agfa camera that writes .JPG, for example, but my regular Sony DV cam/camera uses .jpg..

I just rename them by hand..
..a
May 01, 2004, 12:30 PM
When I name them using .jpg after the name, they are still saved as .JPG am I renaming them improperly? I'm right clicking on the file, scrolling to rename, a box opens up then I type in the new name....
May 01, 2004, 02:12 PM
Tacoma, WA, USA
Does it show the extention (somepicture."jpg") before you rename it ?
May 01, 2004, 02:52 PM
Tacoma, WA, USA
If not, do this.

Go, Start-Settings-Control Panel-Folder Options.

Select the "File Types" tab, scroll to "JPG" and highlight/select it.
Click the "Advance" button at the bottom and in the new window put a check in the box for "Always show extension".
Close everything by selecting "OK".
Last edited by William A; Mar 03, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
May 01, 2004, 04:51 PM
Why thank you William A. !! Looks like I can change them that way. I appreciate you and Andy taking the time to answer this.
Don