This thread is privately moderated by Pat Lynch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 07, 2014, 03:17 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Discussion

A Small Diversion From Annie

One of the many joys of having retired is the ability to make ones decisions based almost entirely on personal needs and desires While still a working person (and working fairly intensely) a recreational activity was anything not connected to my trade/profession. Now, when my major activity is model-building (and home duties) I still need a break from that intense activity and in Springtime here in Australia, the answer usually is gardening, home maintenance, getting out a bit more etc.
So what has this to do with modelling? I notice most of my Northern Hemisphere compatriots treat Winter as the 'building season' and have a natural break from glue sniffing and #11 blade wielding in Summer. Not so here in Oz! Consequently, my intense involvement with major building projects results in a need for small breaks in focus. 2014 saw me call a temporary halt to my Westland Lysander, which in itself was really only a trial of Duncan Hutson-style design and would I like it, and a frantic few months building the little Polikarpov Po-2. When that was over, my excitement over the Lysander did not rekindle (it may later) and the almost-done 1/4 SPAD was revisited for a while but lurking in the background was the Avro Anson for which I'd been putting together a kit of bits for a couple of years. That has had an intense few months getting to a mostly-built stage but Spring intervened and along with garden/home activities, I needed a small, non-threatening model to keep the CA flowing.

My trusty old ARF Katana was almost derelict and needed a replacement. Then an offer from Charlie @ Manzano Laser that I couldn't refuse saw a short kit of Peter Rake's Ryan PT-22 in my hands - not as a prototype build (several of those already going on) but as a replacement for the Funtana and a more scale model at that. So I started a 'quick and dirty' build which was to be completed in a short time, have minimal embellishment and be a rugged sport-type flyer.

The airframe was completed in about 5 days - including a major mod to the rear fuselage and is now waiting the opportunity to get to a hobby shop and some yellow film then it will be done! So will it be the break I needed from the Anson? Probably, as I've now been able to stand back for a couple of weeks and resolve a few issues that were clouding the way ahead. They say a break is as good as a holiday

Curiously, while on my 'break' I espied in a magazine a large photograph of an aircraft that gave me the same jerk of excitement as I'd experienced before on a few occasions - notably the Avro Bison and Avro Anson, both slightly quirky, seldom modelled aircraft. This aircraft I have fallen for may not result in anything immediately but much research is being done - and with the help of my friend Nev in NZ, I've got almost enough stuff to think about some tentative plans.......but that is another story!
Latest blog entry: 2019 Already.....
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply