Blade 180 CFX - Page 338 - RC Groups
Apr 08, 2017, 09:16 PM
Heck Ya!!
Wow! That one failed in a big way!
Do you fly high RPMs?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2017, 05:06 AM
I am having a bad run with the 180CFX, having spent more than $250 on parts for the last 200 flights. I thought I had the costs well under control but this is not so. Although I have to say that my 180CFXes are very well used and battered. I will now fly my Trex 150X and Blade 130S more from now on. The Trex 150X is quite exciting to fly and can run circles round the 180CFX.

About the 130S, it is less powerful and agile than the 180CFX. I had to max out the servo travel and D/R in order to have a reasonable flip rate and tight flips. However, the gyro seems to be more precise and stable than the stock gyro. As far as flight characteristics go, there is no way it can replace the 180CFX, being rather lethargic in comparison.

However I would not be surprised if HH decides to drop the 180CFX. After all, it will be a pure business decision for them. HH closed their offices in China and the UK recently. Therefore it does seem that they are not doing too well.
Apr 09, 2017, 09:49 AM
easycrash
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot
Wow! That one failed in a big way!
Do you fly high RPMs?
30%
70%
And 100%.
Most of my flying is at 70%
Have never go 100%, haven't fly this heli that much either, second hand heli.

Hopefully this will resolve the problems.
With new parts.
Just waiting for them to arrive.

It started wagging when I was testing the new parts, right after I took heli apart, I guess that's when the bearing went bad, but when I was spinning the heli by hand it didn't show the signs, had to take it apart for the second time to see it.
Apr 09, 2017, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot
Hey SpekBo ! Good to hear from you as well. Hope you're getting some decent flying weather soon ... our seems to be right around the corner
Thanks!

Lately I've been flying my 'Quark 130x' (it's an inside joke guy's). I find it's a good bird for practice beacause It takes crashes lightly.

I love my 180's but I never exceed my skill level when flying that heli, I use the smaller micros for that.

That gives the 180 good longevity and a high life expectancy
Apr 09, 2017, 05:46 PM
Heck Ya!!
I've spent practically the last two months working on my semi-scale Jet Ranger. Getting closer to being finished, but now I have a new appreciation for the scale RC helicopter enthusiasts who sometimes spend YEARS working on these things.

My original 180 needs an overhaul. I'm going to move the ESC to the outside of the frame and give those motor wires a break, replace a couple of servo tops since the CA'd broken tabs have done their time , and check the bearings and shafts to see where a slight wobble/bobbing is still coming from.
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Apr 10, 2017 at 10:12 AM.
Apr 09, 2017, 08:27 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Gotta admit... I am starting to consider a 130S for training. The 180CFX is awesome, but I'm​ just not flying at a level that requires the additional performance of its high maintenance gear-driven tail. Meanwhile, I've gotten pretty comfy zipping my dual BL Nano around, doing flips, hovering inverted, and generally having fun, but the tiny size has its own limitations.

I've only really crashed the 180 three times, and it's fared surprisingly well each time. I would just like something a little more reliable where I don't feel like I always have to chase down a new mystery wag, which is what happened when I went flying yesterday. I feel confident doing aerobatics when the 180 is perfectly solid, but if the tail is bouncing and wagging, I just do circuits and hovery stuff.

On the other hand, skimming the 130S thread makes it seem like it has its own share of issues, so I'm not sure
Apr 09, 2017, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
Gotta admit... I am starting to consider a 130S for training. The 180CFX is awesome, but I'm​ just not flying at a level that requires the additional performance of its high maintenance gear-driven tail. Meanwhile, I've gotten pretty comfy zipping my dual BL Nano around, doing flips, hovering inverted, and generally having fun, but the tiny size has its own limitations.

I've only really crashed the 180 three times, and it's fared surprisingly well each time. I would just like something a little more reliable where I don't feel like I always have to chase down a new mystery wag, which is what happened when I went flying yesterday. I feel confident doing aerobatics when the 180 is perfectly solid, but if the tail is bouncing and wagging, I just do circuits and hovery stuff.

On the other hand, skimming the 130S thread makes it seem like it has its own share of issues, so I'm not sure
I actualy really feel the need of going bigger for more stable flights in lower rpm's.

This is the heli I would want for that...2700 RPM for slow and low inverted, flips and rolls sounds cool to me .

Experience RC - Toledo Weak Signals 2017 (2 min 33 sec)

I'm probably dreaming...seem's expensive.

This smaller heli would be my second choice !
Last edited by SpekBo; Apr 09, 2017 at 11:22 PM.
Apr 10, 2017, 12:57 PM
450x, 180CFX
yeah, my 450x is way easier to fly than my 180CFX and my Nano CPS is harder to fly than the 180CFX....definitely think bigger is better
Apr 10, 2017, 01:06 PM
Folding Spacetime
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmoyer
yeah, my 450x is way easier to fly than my 180CFX and my Nano CPS is harder to fly than the 180CFX....definitely think bigger is better
If and only if one has the room for flying bigger. Better to fly small than not at all.
Apr 10, 2017, 01:12 PM
450x, 180CFX
this is true, I'm lucky enough to have about 4 acres in my backyard to fly in. Definitely wouldn't be flying a 450 in a normal neighborhood
Apr 10, 2017, 01:17 PM
Folding Spacetime
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmoyer
this is true, I'm lucky enough to have about 4 acres in my backyard to fly in. Definitely wouldn't be flying a 450 in a normal neighborhood
If I had 4 acres, I think an Oxy3 would be my absolute smallest helicopter. Ok, maybe an Oxy2, then--they seem so cool.
Apr 10, 2017, 03:36 PM
But we fly what we have right ?
I'm still proud of my 180's...my little "big" helis
Apr 11, 2017, 03:11 PM
Order of Mike - Grand Poobah
RIP 180CFX. Now discontinued. Sigh.
Apr 11, 2017, 04:53 PM
I hope they don't think the 130s is the replacement, if so they need to leave the crack pipe alone.
Apr 11, 2017, 04:54 PM
Heck Ya!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad
RIP 180CFX. Now discontinued. Sigh.
Sad.