This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 05, 2014, 07:18 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Discussion

Bringing it Back to FULL BMW Glory - Part2 (1987 BMW 325i Convertible)

Hello Good People!

Incredible progress done for Do-It-Yourself (DIY)!

For Part1 go to:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2247009

My older mechanic Friend and I discovered a JUNK YARD CV Assembly that was installed by one of the previous owners and it does NOT appear that it belongs to this model year!!:thumbdwn:

I have NO idea how my good friend took it out of the Spindle hub because when the Wheel Bearing was complete, it just did NOT want to go in and we tried three times unsuccessfully. The next morning, I wasted NO time and got my hands on two NEW pair of Rear CV Assemblies for this car at a super price deal.:rofl:

Once I got back, the new CV went in very well without any issues. It appears that the SHOP that performed the last Rear Wheel bearings didn't realize that this Right Rear CV was not for this model year and they forced it in during installation and ruined the bearings and subsequent driving.

It is incredible how SHOPS are pressured to complete WORK at a rapid pace and NOT care of workmanship any longer that they submit to methods of poor judgement and using AIR tools to force things back together. It is obvious that there was something wrong if a CV is not going in correctly. I am glad I took this Bimmer Beauty to my Friends back yard to take our time with it.

Some pictures!

THE YELLOW PAINT IS AN VERY CLEAR INDICATION OF JUNK YARD PART!

INSTALLING THE NEW CV ASSEMBLY:

PREPARING RIGHT REAR DISK (IRON PART):

Took both Rear Disks to the Auto Parts and they turned them on the machine! Preparing for new Brake Pad to be Installed!

REMEMBER TO RETAIN THESE PARTS IN A SAFE PLACE AND TAKE PICTURES!

COMPLETE!
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 05, 2014 at 07:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2014, 09:06 PM
Well Sure looks like the Wrecker bit is correct
Only the ridging on the splines is Iffy.. showing Looong service.
Presumably your New shaft is Actually New.. as in a bmw dealer supplied part.. Not some reman 'pos' EMPI shaft assly
Beyond that.. that Bimmer is Nothing special or worthwhile.. Having owned too many BMW's :-)
Oct 11, 2014, 10:45 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Bare,

Didn't say that this car is special or better than other cars but, you have to admit this car designed for 1987 with the Motronic 1.1 was way ahead of its time and with Anti-Lock Brakes.

The Motronic 1.1 with the assistance of two major sensors (Engine Reference & Engine Position Cylinder Identification) plus other analog sensors such as Temp etc... provided automatic timing and complete control of smooth idle and run up of powerful RPMs.

So, yes, it is not special to certain eyes but, to me it was a very good investment and bought it to tool around with my good Friend PETE who is 76 years old and works on everything.

The CV is NOT BMW OEM and therefore, I did not pay the Big $345 each for them and instead went to O'Reilly Auto Parts who supplied me with an identical match per the pictures and only paid $56 each for them with Life-Time Guarantee. I am not going to burn rubber on this car and not going to race it, just put the top down in wonderful weather like today (10-11-2014) and parked it in Front of O'Reilly Auto Parts to show a young lady the car who have been waiting to see it since she has been the one who have been ordering all the parts for it. She Loved it.

Here is the Car, back on the ROAD.....

Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 11, 2014 at 11:05 PM.
Oct 12, 2014, 07:34 AM
Before finally making it into aviation full time I had a brake and front end shop for 10 years, (also did alternate fuels prototyping, installation and inspections, but that is another story).

Looking at your brake pics I don't see any lube. You at least want some on the slides and pins. A good addition was along the back plates of all your pads, as well.

NOTE: The standard for years was Sylglide brake lube. I found something better in Dow Corning DC4 electrical insulating compound. Used it for the entire time I had the shop and since, including the brakes I did in the driveway last weekend on all 4 corners of the Grand Caravan. It's very high temp and extremely tenacious, not washing away like Sylglide.

ps. Nice Beemer. Unfortunately, up here in the "Salt Belt" these did not last long.

Also, if memory serves that Motronics system was not all that unique. Although before mid 90's standardization, Chrysler was a bit primitive, GM had multi-point injections which would require identifying #1 TDC and Ford was the most sophisticated of the domestics. All had at least some anti-lock offerings on the road.
Oct 12, 2014, 11:02 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Pins were Lubed, thanks!

Again, after owning General Merchandice (GM), Ford (Fixed or Repaired Daily), and other domestic makes I feel that this German make is much advanced for the year make model.

Pitts
Oct 12, 2014, 01:32 PM
May agree, but could never afford what I saw in repair costs for them anyway. One oddity we found was definitely NOT widely known, that of destroying an auto trans if idling too long in neutral. That was an expensive little discovery.

If memory serves it was a 735i.

Just loved modding my indestructible 79 Cherokee. Although a bit of work, 4-wheel discs were likely the best upgrade I was able to come up with. Now if they just made them out of good steel would still have it.............(remember "Salt Belt"?).
Oct 12, 2014, 02:17 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429
May agree, but could never afford what I saw in repair costs for them anyway.
This is why I am posting a DO-IT-YOURSELF (DIY) Blog Post!!

Quick Reply