Jul 31, 2019, 10:05 PM
Mickey,
When I was at FliteFest, I was asked by Josh Bixler if I could help organize a F3K event at EdgeWater (https://goo.gl/maps/HmyME9azHkBJ1Qt67) for sometime in 2020 (at this point, just looking into feasibility). Is it possible to borrow/rent this system for such an event? It would be even better if you knew someone with such a system near Paris, Ohio that could help. If borrowing/renting a system is not an option, what am I looking at in cost to DIY build or buy this system?

You are welcome to attend though it is a bit far (I live south of you and it take me two to three days of driving to get there). I look forward to seeing you again in 2020 for San Felasco and maybe even later this year for Punkin Chunk at Hodgies Field.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2019, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitogre
Mickey,
When I was at FliteFest, I was asked by Josh Bixler if I could help organize a F3K event at EdgeWater.
Im in if its happening
Jul 31, 2019, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1
Im in if its happening
me too! With the Bruce gone this could be a good replacement!
Aug 01, 2019, 12:24 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Get your club to donate to the other glider size (F5J) and have a chance to own you own!
https://teamf5jusa.org/index.php/donations/
Aug 01, 2019, 04:37 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitogre
Mickey,
When I was at FliteFest, I was asked by Josh Bixler if I could help organize a F3K event at EdgeWater (https://goo.gl/maps/HmyME9azHkBJ1Qt67) for sometime in 2020 (at this point, just looking into feasibility). Is it possible to borrow/rent this system for such an event? It would be even better if you knew someone with such a system near Paris, Ohio that could help. If borrowing/renting a system is not an option, what am I looking at in cost to DIY build or buy this system?

You are welcome to attend though it is a bit far (I live south of you and it take me two to three days of driving to get there). I look forward to seeing you again in 2020 for San Felasco and maybe even later this year for Punkin Chunk at Hodgies Field.
Given enough lead time I will be there and support you.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Aug 01, 2019, 06:23 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
I think there are two of these systems already in Central Ohio. I'm certain of one because it's in my storage unit. I'm pretty sure there's another just up the road from me.
Aug 01, 2019, 06:31 AM
Flite test was my first introduction to DLG's. I think an event at edgewater could be a good thing for F3K especially if they decide to cover the event on their channel.
Dec 14, 2019, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
This thread has been dormant for a while. Time for an update.
I make the big timer available at a very attractive price, mostly because I really don't make much money at it and provide it mostly as a service to the community. With the increasing popularity of F5J, F3RES, TALES, F5K, etc, I'm getting more queries for the MBT. Currently MBT does F3K, F5J, F3J, F3RES, both contests and practices, and I'm adding a few others (TALES, for one).
I'v decided to open source the Display portion of the MBT, hopefully later I can open source the controller portion (the LCD panel).
The controller can't be open sourced right now because of the purchased graphics library used to drive the LCD, but over time I can purge that from the code.
I'm not open sourcing because I'm not going to make MBT's any more. On the contrary I am going to open source it to allay some concerns that people have about buying something like this from a small shop. This is so that owners can feel free to make a replacement or repair theirs if they want to.
Also it might allow me to get some collaboration in countries with different radio regulations than the USA (like EU).
The license will be such that you can make one for yourself but you won't be able to sell them as that removes all motivation from me to keep up with the development.
Most people will figure out when they price it out, that I make about $7 an hour when I assemble one, so if you back out the development cost I might break even, well never. But again, I make them because I want to help the glider community, not because I think there is ton of money to be made.
Additional news is that I'm trying to work it out with the GliderScore, Embedded Ability, and Pandora developers to get this stuff to all inter-operate. Hopefully the first step is that you can use the display with GliderScore.
After that perhaps you will able to build and use my handheld controller with the GSDI, and drive the Pandoras as well, ... who knows.
Any how, once I get the schematics and code in github in a shape that I'm happy with and some kind of wiki to document things I will post a link.
Note: I do this for a living so my software tool is IAR, this is out of reach of most non-professionals, but the code can be easily converted to the ST Micro System Workbench (free) like was done for my touch screen version of the electronic CG machine (Kyle's Awesome Scale!).
The new generation display controller will drive either 1/16 or 1/8 scan P6 192x192mm 32x32 color LED displays. One controller can drive a 2 panel x 5 panel display (roughly 14x35 inches) or two 1x4 (7x28 inches) displays back to back. It does different colors for the different phases of the round/heat and supplements the colors with icons for individuals with color challenges. On my personal system, the display facing the pits continuously displays the round and heat so I don't have to keep answering "What round is it?" all weekend.
More later.
--mickey
Dec 14, 2019, 02:15 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Dec 14, 2019, 02:46 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Hey Mickey!

How about making it work with f3xvault?

I have a full API that allows you to download the task lists and everything.

Will have f5j scoring soon...

t
Dec 14, 2019, 05:05 PM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraver
Hey Mickey! Will have f5j scoring soon...
Hey Tim!

Are you planning to add the revised (D, E) and new (L, M) F3K tasks to the Vault for 2020?

The Arizona season is in full swing, and the IHLGF is only a few months away

Cheers, Charles
Dec 15, 2019, 04:45 AM
Team USA F3F Member
Hey Charles,

I would if I could get a hold of what the official rules are for 2020...

My system will be able to handle those tasks no problem, although they made it difficult by "replacing" some tasks.

I think I am going to have to have the new task D be called task D 2020 or something so as to not affect all those task D's that have been run in the past...

Any new tasks are fine...if i only had the official rules...

t
Dec 15, 2019, 08:02 AM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraver
Hey Charles, I would if I could get a hold of what the official rules are for 2020...
Tim,

I've attached FAI-CIAM meeting minutes from April 2019. Search for F3K and you'll find the proposals for 2020 with markups and final action.

ciam_2019_plenary_minutes...

Hopefully enough get you started, and we'll both wait for the FAI to publish the official guidelines

RcG threads on this subject:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...m-January-2020

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ules-Proposals

Cheers, Charles

Last edited by BavarianCharles; Dec 15, 2019 at 08:41 AM.
Jan 17, 2020, 02:48 PM
Thread OP
The source code, schematic and the beginnings of documentation are published.
MBT Open Source Display
The updated display has been tested in contest conditions and is daylight readable, even when looking into the sun.
It takes MBT controller protocol as well as Glider Score protocol for commands.

Enjoy
Feb 16, 2020, 04:59 PM

GDSHS big timer

The Greater Detroit Soaring and Hiking society recently aquired a MBT. Big thanks to Jack Iafret for putting it together. He used a plano case to hold both the large desplay and the smaller pit display.

Quick Reply