Mar 18, 2017, 01:21 PM
I take it you are in the EU?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2017, 02:07 PM
Mr Solution
Maiden flight this morning. Mode 0, Beginner mode flew great! prefect landing even. I switched over too expert mode and was banking a turn and she just nosed into the ground! I was like $!#%.... Already repaired it.... This is my first jet.
Mar 18, 2017, 02:16 PM
All aboard Flight 666
Yeah, these lose elevation in banked turns easily.....especially if you don't compensate with some elevator.

Live and learn. Glad it's fixed
Mar 31, 2017, 12:52 AM
Slow is the go!

Habu to Hornet continues

Been getting a bit carried away with my Hornet build, paint on.

Decided on a bit of a unique scheme honouring the indigenous Aboriginal
people of Australia.

These markings from an aussie decal supplier, in 2015 the (RAAF) Royal
Australian Airforce painted up one of their Hornets to honour the first
WW II aboriginal fighter pilot W/OFF L V Waters.

The Worimi people are the traditional owners of the land where the current Hornet
base RAAF Williamtown now sits. One thing that attracted me to this colourful scheme
is she will be easy to see. As we all know these little EDFs get small fast and having
one all grey will be even harder to see, should be able to spot this one!

Wanted a bit of the F/A in my F/A18 Hornet so she had to have armament, now this
was always going to be a problem having the fragile missiles out on the wings when
she is a belly lander. The solution glued in some bent up bits of wire as landing skids.

I am seriously thinking about moving the wing up and back to the correct position
to complete the look, not real up on what this will do to decage and C of G, love
to hear anyones tips on how I should go about this?
Mar 31, 2017, 01:36 AM
All aboard Flight 666
Man, that's remarkable!
Apr 05, 2017, 11:24 AM
Be afraid!
Peter, wonderful work, very inspiring!
I would do it, Peter. It's so much fun to kitbash the Habu!

I was finally able to tame the nose heavyness of MDD 263 by relocating the DF unit some 7mm backwards, reglue canards with more incidence (they are simply butt-jointed to the intake), furtherly extend battery bay backwards and put a gram of weight at the base of the fin. It is now really manoeuvrable!

Here's a video:
UMX McDonnell Douglas Model 263 (UMX Habu kitbashing) (5 min 30 sec)
Last edited by Cuddles; Apr 05, 2017 at 12:55 PM.
Apr 06, 2017, 07:09 AM
Be afraid!
Burned some midnight oil...
Now is finished at 49,7 g, not bad considering that the original one marks at 60,1g. Weights are referred without battery.
Love Jolly Rogers!
Jul 13, 2017, 02:09 PM
I'm experimenting with the Habu S brick in non-SAFE AS3X applications. I need a little advice...

The non-SAFE UMX AS3X bricks that run 2 series cells (2S) are generally proven to tolerate three-cell batteries (3S) running above 11 volts. It is a YMMV unwarranted mod, but very popular in the Pitts, the P-47b, and other micro birds. Almost all will tolerate it.

Can anyone tell me if the Habu S brick can also tolerate 3S voltages?? I have noticed that this brick does NOT seem to have a heat-sink mounted on the back of the board... but the AS6410LBL does have heatsinks, and so does the eflu4864 brick.

I don't wanna fry my Habu S brick...

Has anybody tried 3S on a Habu S?? How did it work?
Jul 13, 2017, 02:29 PM
I have not tried it on either brick. But also be aware the safe habu also has a higher kv motor than the older UMX EDFs.
Jul 13, 2017, 02:40 PM
Yeah... have you seen any published specs for the Habu S brick?

Have you ever measured the amperage draw at high speed on a Habu S?

The bricks for the old MiG15 and F-16 were essentially identical, including ESC specs, to the similar bricks in non-EDF E-flite planes. Interchangeable, even. I was hoping the same would be true of the Habu S brick. So far, it runs 180 and slightly larger motors in the 1600kV and 2000 kV and 2500 kV ranges, so....?? But I worry about running a motor that can draw over 5A at 7.5V --- magic smoke and all that, you know...
Jul 13, 2017, 02:58 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
I think you'll see some of that Magic somewhere with that power system on 3S. Motor Spec is well ... a few more RPM than what you have listed above.

BL180m Ducted Fan Motor, 11750Kv, 130mm Wire (EFLM30180MDFB)
Jul 13, 2017, 03:09 PM
Siver, do you know a Max Amp draw for the SPMA3165? The older AS3X bricks run at 4.9/5.9 Amps max,.
Jul 13, 2017, 04:23 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
No ... I don't fiddle with the UMX's, just fly them the way they come. Bigger stuff and helis require all my re-engineering mental capacity.
Jul 13, 2017, 04:36 PM
Headed down the far side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito View Post
I'm experimenting with the Habu S brick in non-SAFE AS3X applications. I need a little advice... The non-SAFE UMX AS3X bricks that run 2 series cells (2S) are generally proven to tolerate three-cell batteries (3S) running above 11 volts. It is a YMMV unwarranted mod, but very popular in the Pitts, the P-47b, and other micro birds. Almost all will tolerate it.

Can anyone tell me if the Habu S brick can also tolerate 3S voltages?? I don't wanna fry my Habu S brick... Has anybody tried 3S on a Habu S?? How did it work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito View Post
The bricks for the old MiG15 and F-16 were essentially identical, including ESC specs, to the similar bricks in non-EDF E-flite planes. Interchangeable, even. I was hoping the same would be true of the Habu S brick. ...I worry about running a motor that can draw over 5A at 7.5V --- magic smoke and all that, you know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
I think you'll see some of that Magic somewhere with that power system on 3S. Motor Spec is well ... a few more RPM than what you have listed above.
BL180m Ducted Fan Motor, 11750Kv, 130mm Wire (EFLM30180MDFB)

Hey Juanito,

For some time I wanted to put a Habu SAFE brick in my UMX Pitts. I was not able to find any used Habu bricks, so early this year I finally broke down and bought a new Habu brick from Horizon and put it in my Pitts. After spending $60 plus shipping for the new Habu brick, I am not about to put a 3S battery in the Pitts and take a chance on frying the ESC, or worse, frying the new Habu SAFE brick which cost about half the price of the Pitts. That Pitts flies so well for me with the Habu brick I place more value on the Habu brick than the rest of the Pitts - and I really like my PItts. I know some folks put 3S in their 2S system planes, but I suspect these are the guys who do fry something and then put a 3S motor and ESC in the plane. I also suspect that once they put a 3S motor and ESC in the plane, then they immediately start thinking about putting a 4S battery in to get better "performance."

If you want to do the 3S thing with the Habu brick and are willing to take the risk, then go for it. I just cannot imagine wanting to "improve" on the Pitts, especially since even I can fly it with the Habu brick.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Jul 13, 2017, 07:12 PM
Dave Wile
Thank you for your reply.
I really went off topic in my question... because what I was mostly concerned about was excess amperage draw on the Habu board's ESC. The issue of 3-cell batteries only arose when a friend suggested that I could keep amperage demand down on the ESC if I ran it on 3S batts.

My objective is to use the Habu S board in kit and scratch models that weigh a bit more than the stock 180 motors will haul around ... with motors producing 4-6 ounces of thrust. I have one new motor - a MicroDan 1804-1600kV beauty that will crank a 7x3.5 and even an 8x4 here without going above 5 Amps... and maybe even below 4 Amps. I like the AS3X boards, and I even like the 2.3g linear servos they use... but a little more thrust would be nice.

Thank you again for your reply. I'd never ask anyone to risk frying a board... but I thought you might have some feel for the Amperage OCP on the Habu S board.

Quick Reply