FrSky in Chicago! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by Rotozuk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 02, 2014, 12:41 AM
Discussion

FrSky in Chicago!

Just a quick post to start this off with. I'm in Chicago to help FrSky at the iHobby show and I just got to play with some new toys. I have to say that I am very impressed. I'll snap some pictures and share some details in the coming days, but for now, rest assured that FrSky has been very busy working on new toys for us all.

I need to get some sleep, but will update this with details as soon as I can.

-Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2014, 10:41 AM
Hutch
I hope I don't have to sell my taranis.
Oct 02, 2014, 04:21 PM
Long day on the sales floor today. Will have to figure out how to add photos to this page since I left my camera cable at the office. Lots of good interest in the new radios. Tomorrow the show opens up to the general public, and that is always a lot more fun. Stop on by if you are in the area, will be great to see you!

OK - I'll see if I can post up some pics.

-Wayne
Oct 02, 2014, 04:45 PM
No pics? You are just teasing us aren't you?

(I'm 8500 miles away, not much chance of me popping in to say hello)
Oct 02, 2014, 08:09 PM

Pics from Wayne

Wayne is busy as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest - so I'll post these two pictures for him.
These are prototypes. For example, the Horus has Taranis gimbals not the CNC that they will ship with. Also I don't know that we can count on the SMA connectors on the X9E - but it sure would be nice.
Oct 02, 2014, 08:44 PM
Suspended Account
hope you post a video playing with the Horus before they come back to china with it!!
Oct 02, 2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks Scott!

So my solution is to text the photos to Scott and have him post them. LOL

Yes, I think we will see the SMA on the X9E. The antenna on the left is for the XJT, and the one on the right is for bluetooth.

Starting very soon, the Taranis Plus will come with an ipx connector on the internal XJT. This will make antenna swaps much easier. No more soldering!

The Horus looks and feels really nice. It is an early prototype, but I am very impressed with it, and I have not heard any negative comments from people that have been playing with it. And lets just say the powerswitch is a work of art.

Time for sleep.

-Wayne
Oct 02, 2014, 10:22 PM
That's good news on the ipx connector Wayne. Now if you can think about it, ask them if the SWR is going to be fixed when the connector is added. Also ask them if the volume adjustment and the clicking in the audio is going to be addressed.

capman231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Thanks Scott!

Starting very soon, the Taranis Plus will come with an ipx connector on the internal XJT. This will make antenna swaps much easier. No more soldering!

Time for sleep.

-Wayne
Oct 03, 2014, 02:11 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
So, if the Taranis gimbals fit in the Horus, when can I get the Horus gimbals to upgrade my Taranis? :-)

J.P.
Oct 03, 2014, 03:54 AM
Wayne/Scott - Wow! We like the look of that Horus over here.

Tell 'em to keep up the good work and get it to market as soon as they can.

Some more info would be very interesting while we wait, like how is the FrSky OS and OpenTx going to work together? Is it one or the other, or dual boot? or is the FrSky one a simplified user interface with OpenTx underneath? and are OpenTx fully on board with all the extra features?

Many thanks for all the effort to get the pics up, that's much appreciated.
Oct 03, 2014, 05:09 AM
Great new info!
Can you share a picture with the Horus being held by someone?
So we can see how the handling is.
It's not a tray radio, right?
Oct 03, 2014, 05:21 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
I was waiting for this radio for a while.., well, since frsky decided to make radios.
The early prototype of the HORUS had a rotary encoder. What happened to it?
Also looking at one of the sketches above, the antenna on the back of the radio will be shaded by the LCD if horizontal.. Not good if you fly high and nearly overhead, which is the case of glider pilots.. Also, the buttons look horrible. What happened to the first design? That looked good..
This one look good too, I do like the power switch and the big LCD, but the buttons don't even match with the rest of the radio? And about the encoder, don't frsky read the forums? Shame. I confess I'm a little disappointed and it looks like I will keep my current radio. I also have bluetooth, encoder, etc..
Oct 03, 2014, 06:29 AM
Happy FPV flyer
I'd like some feedback about how the switches on the "shoulders" are accessible. That's my biggest worry, that it's impossible to reach them without letting go of the transmitter/stick with the hand as they seem so far back. And what about LCD brightness/readability outdoors?

And yes I'd also like to see an encoder on the right side, the buttons are redundant with the joystick on the left.

Other than that, beautiful!
Oct 03, 2014, 08:25 AM
The effect is sadly temporary
Is there going to be a module bay in the Horus? I use so many different protocols these days that a radio isn't very useful without it.
Oct 03, 2014, 08:36 AM
Happy FPV flyer
The photos on the product page show the stock module is removeable and uncovers a JR slot.

Quick Reply