Aug 07, 2019, 01:18 PM
Well, now that you know ...
I suspected my bearings were going bad but I flew my original EFX last week (4S). Ripped around fine until I detected some slowdown, then saw the smoke trail. Landed fine - turned out the motor was melting.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2019, 01:50 PM
My orange EFX Racer is unusually smooth. I don’t know if the prop is luckily balanced perfectly, or the motor has magic bearings or what, but the sound is much smoother than my EFXtra....
Aug 08, 2019, 08:34 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Can I just pop in a replacement motor for the EFXtra?
Aug 08, 2019, 09:57 AM
Of course...
Aug 09, 2019, 08:25 AM
The "Foaminator"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
My orange EFX Racer is unusually smooth. I donít know if the prop is luckily balanced perfectly, or the motor has magic bearings or what, but the sound is much smoother than my EFXtra....
You have luckily hit the DYNAMIC balance point.

I found this out along time ago that by rotating the prop on the shaft in small increments that you will find a sweet spot even with the best of balanced props to begin with. You'll know it when you hit it, it's DAMN Smooth.

Mike R
Aug 12, 2019, 09:22 AM
Damage is expected
Mike R.,

I'm a believer in rotating the prop on the shaft. It is worth the effort to find the sweet spot. I find I occasionally need to find a new sweet spot after nose-overs or a prop-strike. Oops!

Dave W.
Sep 16, 2019, 04:05 PM
Managed to pick up a Terracotta EFX Racer this week - they've been out of stock everywhere for a good while, but the EU warehouse somehow has them whereas the UK and Global ones don't

I'm an ex-pylon flyer so quite used to speed, but not looking for anything too extreme here! I have a choice of 4S packs up to 1550 from my quads or 3S 2300 from various sport models (Tundra etc.). The 1550s are a bit small (and I don't think I could quite fit two 1300 4S in), so I'll likely be using the 3S packs with an 8x6 for now.

Generally pretty impressed with the model - fit & finish are good apart from a decal on one wing LE that needs trimming back a bit. I've got an RX6R receiver which will fit in easily, so spoilerons will be on the cards (I've used these successfully on a number of warmliners). Speaking of which I was toying with the idea of a folding prop but it seems a shame to waste that nice alloy spinner!

Question - there's a plastic protector for the underside of the nose mentioned in the instructions but no sign of this in the box ... I assume this got dropped at some point?
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Sep 16, 2019, 11:03 PM
It should already be applied...

As for lipos and props, the plane is pretty fast on 3S with the 8x6. In my experience the APC(or APC clone) props break a LOT more easily than the black 4S prop. But I'm an oddball in liking the 4S prop I guess.. I also knowingly fly fairly nose-heavy. Still, the 4S props are way more robust.

The EFX Racer is slightly slower than the EFXtra I think, because of the bigger wing. But it carves and floats a bit more nicely. The EFXtra rolls faster. I love both of mine -the EFXtra and the EFX Racer.

FWIW, the new Rhino 4S 2200s from HK are cheap, and these new Rhinos are meant to be very good lipos.. I just ordered a couple to replace a couple of my now quite aged Turnigy HD 4S 2200s - my main EFX lipos over the last couple years.
Sep 17, 2019, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
It should already be applied...

As for lipos and props, the plane is pretty fast on 3S with the 8x6. In my experience the APC(or APC clone) props break a LOT more easily than the black 4S prop. But I'm an oddball in liking the 4S prop I guess.. I also knowingly fly fairly nose-heavy. Still, the 4S props are way more robust.

The EFX Racer is slightly slower than the EFXtra I think, because of the bigger wing. But it carves and floats a bit more nicely. The EFXtra rolls faster. I love both of mine -the EFXtra and the EFX Racer.

FWIW, the new Rhino 4S 2200s from HK are cheap, and these new Rhinos are meant to be very good lipos.. I just ordered a couple to replace a couple of my now quite aged Turnigy HD 4S 2200s - my main EFX lipos over the last couple years.
Hmm ok thanks, just bare foam under the nose of mine. I will add some clear tape.

I don't really care about ultimate speed but I'd be surprised if the longer wing made much difference there ... I suspect the tip shape on shorter one has a little more drag, so it probably evens out! As an aside models in the fastest pylon class (FAI F3D) have been moving towards high aspect-ratio wings for years now (see pic). You will certainly get a faster roll rate with the shorter wing though.

Interesting thought on the Lipos ... I've used Rhinos on my indoor 3D models for years and they've been excellent. I will check those out.
Sep 17, 2019, 04:57 AM
The new Rhinos are supposedly different, and possibly accurate in the C rating actually. Which is practically revolutuonary from what I understand...

Maybe the EFXtra seems faster because it rolls so much faster. Straight line speed is close...
Sep 19, 2019, 10:41 AM
Successfully maidened today ... pretty happy with it on 3S 2300 for now. Flew 6 mins with just a few full throttle passes, and still had 54% capacity left after landing. Had to make an emergency landing - the rangers wanted to close the field and car park ASAP as there was a group of 'travellers' in the area. First and only approach was slightly fast but flared to a smooth slow & gentle landing with the spoilerons deployed - no broken (APC) prop Looking forward to next time.

EFX Racer maiden flight (0 min 19 sec)
Sep 19, 2019, 11:06 AM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
Good stuff!
Sep 20, 2019, 05:01 AM
A few thoughts/observations after some more flights today in quite windy conditions.

The elevator seems a bit sensitive compared to the ailerons (both set to stock high rates). I've dialed elevator down to 90% now ... may reduce it further.

I need to move the rudder pushrod out on the servo to get more throw ... it's very ineffective (the linkages as set up out of the box only give the 'low rate' throw at 100%).

Spoilerons work superbly - negligible trim change and there's still plenty of aileron authority. If you have a computer radio and a spare channel there is no downside to setting these up.

I've added a 'launch mode' on the transmitter to give a little up and right trim - this makes the launches more relaxed.

The chin air intake scoops up grass & stuff on landing!

So far I've not broken any props, or even come close (APC-E 8x6).
Sep 20, 2019, 09:06 AM
A few short clips from today. It coped pretty well in the wind but low flying was tempting fate a bit! First three launches without 'launch mode' (the third was a bit hairy), and the others with it on. One other thing ... the CG seems pretty conservative with a 3S 2300. With a bigger/heavier battery it would definitely be nose heavy?

EFX Racer flights 2-7 (1 min 11 sec)
Sep 21, 2019, 03:21 PM
Favorite plane currently...

EFX Racer 5S Beautiful Day (5 min 38 sec)

Quick Reply