Dec 20, 2014, 09:49 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I left rudder as the plans, and she seems fine in flight. Only seems like she could use a bit more rudder authority for ground handling in the grass. It's fine on hard surfaces. Doesn't even look funny to me anymore! Yaw control is good in flight, I was surprised at how well she crabs when I run rudder and ailerons opposite without rolling.
One thing that I ran into that one should consider is that the way I set up aileron servos makes them reversed relative to other models. (I run a good number of models on a "basic reat" setting on my tx and set them up identical for throw and trims to minimize model counts). I had to program a switch to reverse them (I wonder when I will forget about that?????) Flipping the servos over will fix the problem, and I'll probably do that at some point.
Well, it wasn't too long! Took her out last week after not flying her in a couple weeks, androlled into ground twice. That day was sn odd one and everyone had problems, so i discounted it. Next day behind the house, i rolled her first one way then the other into the ground, breaking tail off (twice!). It wasn't til the third day that i remembered the switch after i cartwheeled her twice (fortunately into tall grass so no more dsmage to the twice repaired tail). She now has her own model memory!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2014, 09:52 PM
tough break! Sorry to hear about the issues.

I have been ditracted with other projects for the last few weekends. I hope to get my OSK in the air soon.

....I will double check my ailerons again!!

Mar 01, 2015, 06:35 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Been flying my OSK a ton lately, since I put skis on her. My first tricycle gear with skis and she is a hoot to take off and land on snow! I just broke my second set of main gear today though. The original aluminum gear was for a much lighter plane I guess, and reformed itself every landing. I could see the cracks forming at the fold lines, so retired it. found some plastic sheet a local signmaker gave me, and tried it. It worked well til today, when I did a touch and go a bit hard, and left one ski on the ground. I have some polycarbonate that I am trying to get heat right to form for the next set. Here's a video from last week for your viewing pleasure:
(3 min 29 sec)
Oct 09, 2015, 08:23 PM
Been away for a while. Moved the family out of Chicagoland and back down to High Springs, FL. Still settling in and getting unpacked. Looks like all my R/C stuff made the trip unscathed! The OSK is sitting on a shelf in my new barn. As soon as I find a field to fly at, I will be giving it a go!
Oct 09, 2015, 10:19 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Well, I hope so! Great to see ya back on groups, guy! I was thinking to send a pm to see if you have flown yours yet; the first one built. A barn, eh? Sounds like some room to play!
Oct 10, 2015, 12:42 PM
Retired CAD guy
Alternative Falclone thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1641373
Oct 10, 2015, 09:14 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Falclone, that's too funny! Emma is one cool lady! checkout her bikes on her blog.
Dec 04, 2015, 09:34 PM
Barry

ready to maiden...

This is my first post to RC Groups (but been a troll for a while). Been working on the OSK (and OSW). Thought it might be worth mentioning a few changes that I made (for those who may be considering it). But before I begin, like to say hats off to Mike- this was a fun build, and my first (completed) dollar sheet foam kit. Check his website out-http://www.onesheetkits.us/

Changes: Carbon rod (rather than wooden dowel); wing bolts (vs rubber bands); fiberglass tape to join wings (bonded with polyacrylic); battery "tray" w/Velcro; cooling port behind the nose wheel (really because I did not want to drill a large hole in fire wall to run motor wires); one servo/aileron; covering with low temp film (Econokote- worked the best- note bottom of plane is mostly red for visibility). Econokote "hinges"; carbon rod push rods (because I had some laying around). Battery/motor as recommended by Mike; Hitec 55 servos; Spektrum receiver.

Considerations for building- decide if your rudder push rod is exiting above vs below the stab. I typically run mine below (realized later that it would not work since the rudder stops at the fuse (easy fix- cut back the fuse and make a new rudder).

Looking forward to flying it this weekend (weather permitting).

Thanks again Mike.
Dec 05, 2015, 06:42 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Barry: Hey, welcome to RCG posting (understand you have been lurking...) and to scratchbuilt foamies. Your Kestrel looks great, and I like all the changes. The bolt on wing is a great one. I may have mentioned that I did the rubber band retention more for the ability to change things on the prototype and because the original Goldberg falcon plans were set up that way. When I do another one, it'll be bolt on, just looks cleaner.

Let us know how she flies!
Dec 07, 2015, 07:07 AM
Barry

Post flight report

Flew her on Sunday. Calm, mid 50s, sunny. All flights from winter grass. Went through through 5 packs (850 - 1000mAh, 2 and 3s). Props 10x 6 and 9x6. Flying times about 7 min (bursts of full power ). Bottom line, flew awesome once trimmed (not unexpected as I knew that some of the control surfaces were slighly warped from the covering). Was impressed on how well she held a heading (e.g. input aileron, wing drops- keeps that tack until next input). Rolls are not axial- not that I was expecting them to be, but was very impressed given the amount throw. Plenty of power, inverted requires a little down elevator...joy to fly. Only mod that I will make is strengthening nose gear. I should have put in that spring bend... great plane- thanks.
Dec 07, 2015, 11:02 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
Congrats, Barry sounds like you have her set up just about perfect!

On the nose gear, if you redo it, Don't do what I did; I coiled the original prototype such that the spring tightened up as the gear was pushed back on takeoff and landing, everything worked fine. After one too many developmental crashes, I decided to build another fuse from the kit foam. When I coiled the spring, and bent the axle/mount bends, it ended up backwards (unwinds with aft pressure). Didn't think much of it at first, but now I have to reset it every few flights. Annoying!
Apr 03, 2017, 02:36 PM
. Starting on my Kestrel. I'm a little confused about what goes where. I have taped up a side and formers starting 8 and ending with 15 for the front half based pictures Springer has posted. Is this correct? And where the 3 nr 13 parts go. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apr 03, 2017, 11:25 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Here ya go, this should help. The three pieces are just laminated together and glued aft of former #5 to provide a solid mount for either a wire type main gear ( like Caveeagle did), or flat sheet main gear (like mine).
Apr 21, 2017, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Here ya go, this should help. The three pieces are just laminated together and glued aft of former #5 to provide a solid mount for either a wire type main gear ( like Caveeagle did), or flat sheet main gear (like mine).
Thanks clears up several questions. Next question and maybe I missed it in the threads here, but how long is the leading edge spar or is it not that critical.

Thanks again
Apr 21, 2017, 08:35 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
I ran mine the full span but that is primarily because i need help with tree damage resistance! If you use a shorter one, should be no problems i would think, most important is strengthening center.

Quick Reply