Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 27, 2014, 01:57 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle
Any noticable difference flying with packing tape? I really like the look, but tend to build a little heavy anyway and was reluctent to add weight.

Any video flying in yellow?
There would have been if I'd had my head on straight this morning! Was calm and frosty at 9, so i grabbed the plane, hatcam and tx. Loaded batt, lifted off and she flew fine til i dida couple loops, didn't look right. About that time i remembered i hadn't hit "record". Ok, land, check out, record. I also at that point remembered that i had removed two of the wing mount rubber bands. The two remaining weren't sufficient to keep wing in place; it needs all four to stay put! Tried again, taking it easy and recorded this time. Back inside the final humiliation! I had led the plane on every pass, so you hear it, but don't see it! Shoulda stayed in bed!

I did fly last night at dusk, and even though the tape added over an ounce, i didn't notice any difference in handling. I also just picked up a couple Zippy compact 1k packs (about an ounce less than the1300mah nanotecs)and tried one. No noticeable difference with that either. I need to see where cg shifts with the zippy pack.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2014, 02:26 PM
How did you balance with the 1300 packs? Did you add any weight?

Did you end up enlarging the rudder any? Yaw ok?
Oct 27, 2014, 03:29 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
I left rudder as the plans, and she seems fine in flight. Only seems like she could use a bit more rudder authority for ground handling in the grass. It's fine on hard surfaces. Doesn't even look funny to me anymore! Yaw control is good in flight, I was surprised at how well she crabs when I run rudder and ailerons opposite without rolling.
One thing that I ran into that one should consider is that the way I set up aileron servos makes them reversed relative to other models. (I run a good number of models on a "basic reat" setting on my tx and set them up identical for throw and trims to minimize model counts). I had to program a switch to reverse them (I wonder when I will forget about that?????) Flipping the servos over will fix the problem, and I'll probably do that at some point.
Oct 27, 2014, 06:10 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Mike, that's a bit confusing, if the servo is on bottom or top of the wing (and still in the same orientation as the above photo), the direction would still be the same. Or am I missing something?

Marty
Oct 27, 2014, 07:05 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
what I mean is in order to get the servo in wing to work like the settings want it to, I will have to flip them in the front view, so if clockwise rotation is "down aileron", once flipped clockwise is now "up aileron". I just spent the last several minutes looking at the three planes that I have with servos in the wings, and the settings for each, and I'm even more confused about the settings (I now think that it involves how I set the rudder for when I have RET only, as that eventually defines the way I set the ailerons { what did I just say??}) Regardless for the OSK I need to flip the servos to avoid having to use the switch to change rotation direction.

I think this all means that I should have taken more time in the final control surface horn location and servo direction in the final control setup!
Oct 27, 2014, 08:33 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
perhaps this short vid shows it. If you assume that the servo on the left is the original setup and a right stick is a "push", if you flip it over as with the right servo, a right stick becomes a "pull". Of course I'll have to cut new pockets in the wing and fill up the original ones to use the current location for aileron horns. details, details!

(0 min 5 sec)
Oct 27, 2014, 08:55 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Flipping the servo makes sense. What I read earlier was that by transferring the servo to the top of the wing in the same orientation would correct the problem, which did not make sense to me, unless you run the linkage thru the wing so the control arm is on top of the wing while the control horn is on the bottom, which would be pretty ugly.

I think the problem is as you said, RET vs 4 channel confusion.

but ...... it was a good brain teaser and I thank you for that.

Marty
Oct 27, 2014, 10:42 PM
Senile Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I think this all means that I should have taken more time in the final control surface horn location and servo direction in the final control setup!
Only if you knew which direction the servo horn would move for a given stick direction. There is no standard for servo rotation direction. Two different brands of servos can move in opposite directions for the same direction of stick movement.

Larry
Oct 28, 2014, 07:20 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
Yup, noticed that, so now i pretty much do hxt900's and hxt500's only. Now they are predictable but i'm still not!
Oct 30, 2014, 09:53 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Nice day to fly in SE Michigan, so got this video of the OSK in her yellow livery:

(2 min 29 sec)
Oct 31, 2014, 06:56 AM
Ken's CAD Models
That was easy!

Ken
Oct 31, 2014, 03:18 PM
Very Nice! Weather here in W.Chicago has been nasty. Who knows when I will get a nice day to get my OSK in the air.

I have been looking for a good platform to test out this little Flight Stability Control Board I had. It seems to work pretty well in ground testing. Maybe this will help out with the windy Chicago weather.
Last edited by caveeagle; Oct 31, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
Oct 31, 2014, 04:26 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
It should help once you get it sorted. Several of my FBs swear by them. (Others swear at them til they get everything adjusted). Personally, being the contrarian that i am, i am resisting them. I figure the idea is for me to fly the plane, and if something else is making "adjustments", while i may be "steering" it, i am not confident i'm "flying it". The downside is i have to be willing to accept more wreckage in tough weather or not fly in it. Having the "Armada Aerodrome" out my back door helps, of course: especially now that it is flat and (mostly) grass covered!
Oct 31, 2014, 10:24 PM
I like gadgets, and really just want to see how it works. I can dial back the gains on all three axis for the first couple flights. My only complaint with this model is that you cannot enable/disable it in flight. Lately I have been working with my kid to build a KK2.1.5 controlled Quad-Copter. This little flight controller is a fabulous piece of hardware. You can even plug in a Spektrum Sat-Rx and it pull your Tx Control signals from that! They even have a fixed-wing firmware you can load for normal aircraft.

Anyway... I really wanted to build this OSK to have a good all purpose 4-channel trainer that was capable of a little more. ..A good step up from the OSF. If the Stability control works, it will make it just a little more forgiving in our gusty Chicago weather.

Quick Reply