to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2014, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W
Brings back memories of my old Falcon 56.......
I will be thrilled if it flies 1/2 as well as my Sr Falcon did.

Quote:
Is that EPP ? Kinda looks like EPP when you enlarge the pics.

Jim
Its all MPF (Model Plane Foam, from Springer), accept for where I used Dollar Tree Foam to double the Horozontal Stab for imroved rigidity.
Oct 11, 2014, 08:01 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
Man, you are cranking! All looking great! Landing gear looks perfect. Be sure to post a template, or send me the dimensions and I will draw it up. I hope to start mine today. Split and stacked a full cord of firewood yesterday and looking for a quiet, low stress activity for today. Although it is a dead calm and sunny blue sky at the moment, so may have to fly a few packs first! I think I would make main gear removable as the wires always eventually bend back, and you can remove and flip 180 when they do. I like the screw idea.
Ya know, I've been thinking, with the larger size/span, the plane can handle a pair of servos in the wings, and we could play with flaperons......
Oct 11, 2014, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Man, you are cranking! All looking great! Landing gear looks perfect. Be sure to post a template, or send me the dimensions and I will draw it up.
Will Do!

Quote:
.... looking for a quiet, low stress activity for today. Although it is a dead calm and sunny blue sky at the moment, so may have to fly a few packs first!
Spent the morning with my 16 yr old helping a group of Girl Scouts with a rocket launch. We had a G motor KATO 15' off the pad! Crash and Burn,.... Literally! I flew a few foamies around afterwards which was fun.

Quote:
I think I would make main gear removable as the wires always eventually bend back, and you can remove and flip 180 when they do. I like the screw idea.
I have a couple ideas. It would be pretty easy to epoxy a nylon nut to the lower fuse skin, then just use a nylon screw and washer to hold the gear in the slot. I just hot glued the nose gear in place. I gave it a bit of rear anger (castor) to help give it as much spring as possible.

Quote:
Ya know, I've been thinking, with the larger size/span, the plane can handle a pair of servos in the wings, and we could play with flaperons......
Man, why did you have to give me that idea!!! (I like it) I have a couple fresh 5g servos that would be perfect for that. I will have to think through how that will work with the Flight Stability control board I was planning to use. I think it would work fine if I just used a Y connector to plug both servos into the same channel. I suspect I will run into issues trying to run flaperon mixing through this little board. ...hmmmm
Oct 15, 2014, 11:13 PM
Glued the wing halfs together, and adding dowels for support structure.
Last edited by caveeagle; Oct 15, 2014 at 11:22 PM.
Oct 17, 2014, 07:50 PM
I am working on the control sufaces and servo linkage. I like the way the ailerons turned out. I will probably hot glue the aileron servos in place once I am sure its all set up well.

I am know re-thinking the battery placement. I was assuming the battery would go under-wing right in front of the rear landing gear mount. I did a test balance and the CG was close to 50% back on the wing with the battery there.

So I am now thinking of moving the battery up to the nose compartment, betweent he wing LE and the engine mount. I don't think it would be good to cut into the former under the wing LE, and putting the battery in the 'nose compartment' put my test-balance right around 25% back from the wing LE.

If I do this, I will try to top-load the battery, and seal up the bottom of the fuse. This might make battery changes easier. hmm??
Oct 17, 2014, 11:20 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Finally started on mine tonite! They really nailed the lazer cuts, parts snap clean. So far everything fits. I think that i will change plans to reduce the nose taper and leave more motor room. Bit loks like i won't be able to use the nose inside cheeks unless i trim part away to clear motor. Got subframe glued.
Oct 18, 2014, 10:20 AM
I wish there was a little more room for the 3S battery in that nose section. I just don't see a good way to fit the battery, ESC and battery plug in there.

Maybe I will lengthen the battery cables and move the ESC back to the under-wing area to make plugging in the battery more workable.

Quote:
Bit loks like i won't be able to use the nose inside cheeks unless i trim part away to clear motor
Thats what I did. I just trimmed enough the give around 1/3" of clearance around the diamter of the motor.
Oct 18, 2014, 12:39 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Yeah, in hind sight, i should probably have moved all the structure at wing LE aft a bit and just kept it above the servo tray. Far aft enough to support the tri main gear would be efficient. Ah well we are in development..... I think there's enough height to fit esc above or below the batt, although not good for cooling. May need an air scoop or two. "They" say extend the motor wires instead of batt, but i don't think the couple of inches will hurt eiher way. Just did the motor wire extension on my 8' glider to get room for 1800mah pack this week.

I glued the complete subframe together (with sides) first, but think it may be easier to glue sub and main fuse sides first like you did. It looks ok, but was lots of wet glue in play while taping.. When i reduce the pv nose taper, it will be even easier.

Looking at all the parts now, the rudder looks awfully small. May end up deviating from the Goldberg lines and grow v stab and rudder. We will have to evaluate in flight.
Oct 18, 2014, 12:43 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
At this point, i will also trim away inner cheeks to clear motor can, but the idea of some streamlined exterior cheeks (covering the flat six lycoming ) is intriguing.
Oct 18, 2014, 04:30 PM
My problem is there is not enough room in the front compartment for the 3S battery to lay flat. so I don't have a great way to get both in that area. The battery 'almost' fits diagonally in that compartment, but the cord routing becomes an issue. Thats why I was leaning toward adding an extention to the battery side of the esc, so I would gain some flexibility routing the XT60 plug.

I would have worked out much better to just put the battery under the front 1/2 of the wing, but its tail heavy that way.

Options??

Quick Reply