Apr 23, 2019, 06:24 PM
You're right, Mike. I heard a lawnmower in the neighborhood today!
I finally got back to my 44" version of the Kestrel and I'm working on landing gear now. Here are a couple of pics of how I did the main gear a little differently. I had an extra wire gear from some other model and made a "gear sandwich" by inserting it between two layers of thin plywood. The sandwich was then gorilla glued onto the back of the #6 formers with lotsa extra glue around the edges for support.

You can see the bottom of a light blue servo forward of the main gear. It is for the steerable nose gear. I had previously installed the rudder & elevator servos and control rods and never thought about including the nose gear on the rudder servo. It turns out the rudder servo arm moved the wrong way for the nose gear, so I just added a separate servo. I couldn't change the mechanics to make the rudder servo work for the nose because I needed the control rod to be close to one side of the fuse to allow for battery access. I'll show the workings of that in a few days when it is complete.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2019, 07:45 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Looks good, similar to the insert style used on Tony's Piranha (this is what the wing used to be on...).

I fashioned up some gear out of lexan plastic; since it was too flimsy I just put an axle all the way from one wheel to the other. Gives it some spring. I'll use some nylon bolts to attach it to ply on the fuselage.

Sorry, no pics and I'm 180 miles from home... maybe I can snap a couple.

The stab is now glued, the rudder is attached to the fin so I need to get the fuselage sides cut out and glued into the center piece.

Shouldn't be too long now.
Apr 23, 2019, 08:40 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Waiting with baited breath for vids.
Apr 28, 2019, 08:56 AM
Finally, I got the nose gear sorted out on my 44" Kestrel, now renamed "Vulture". I could only find a 4mm nose gear block but I wanted a lighter wire for the wheel. So, I used a 3/32" wire inside a short length of 1/8" brass tube, and that inside a 5/32" brass tube. It seems to be solid enough as long as I land on the main gear first. Any major landing mishap could easily turn this bird into a tail dragger. This was my first steerable nose wheel build (and possibly my last).

Now all I need to finish is a battery compartment & hatch and cover the belly.
Apr 28, 2019, 02:06 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Looks sweet, now you can motor around on the tarmac! (although mine with fixed nose gear turns really well on smooth pavement). You might be pleasantly surprised how the coiled spring part of the gear works. Mine takes a lot of impacts without seeming to transmit loads into the fuse.
Apr 28, 2019, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Waiting with baited breath for vids.
You meant to say "bated breath". Baited breath makes it sound like you've been eating worms, crickets, or whatever baits your favorite fishes prefer.

CD
Apr 28, 2019, 06:46 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Ha! Yup, thanks to auto complete or autocorrect (can never tell which one screws up more) my breath was "baited"! Was wondering what that funny taste was. . .

Need to become more disciplined in re-reading my posts before uploading them!
Apr 28, 2019, 09:00 PM
He's Knot the own lee won 2 half maid that miss steak.
Apr 28, 2019, 11:29 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
May 01, 2019, 06:12 AM
Ugh. I just need to turn it off, it just gets in the way by changing words I have correct more than it catches something wrong.
May 01, 2019, 07:05 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Somewhat odd all the new AI and software that can do many wonderful things , save recognizing words in context …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 13, 2019, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1
Ugh. I just need to turn it off, it just gets in the way by changing words I have correct more than it catches something wrong.
Even worse, I suspected this would come along at some point:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90346224...ically-correct

The human factor here is the concept of "thinking outside the box"... How can AI figure that?

Ok, time to get back on the Kestrel - maybe I'll get something done this week.
May 13, 2019, 03:45 PM
As in join the 3 rows of 3 dots with 4 continuous lines perhaps.
Danato
May 20, 2019, 08:10 PM
Bump...

Managed to build up the stab, fin, and corresponding control surfaces.

Next up is fuselage and finishing nose gear.

Motivation severely lacking lately... Still, will try to progress more this week, as I'm traveling all next week and would like to get more done before I depart.

Quick Reply