to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2015, 08:25 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokis
Better late than never!
First time in the air....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLGzRXAGhjE
I didn't need any translation there at the end when the pilot stood next to the plane. International language for knees shaking and hyper ventilation.

Do you have some information on the total ramp weight ready to fly, the power system you used and other details? Reason I ask is I have to build 3 134" connies (about 1:11 scale) and I am having a hard time predicting the power system needs....plus I am just curious.

Congratulations!

Dave
Aug 10, 2015, 08:27 AM
airliner-rc.ru
Both of models are perfect
Aug 10, 2015, 01:54 PM
Skylar's People
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFlyer
The posted video is not Don's Connie. It's a different build. Hopefully the plane in the video is still in one piece!
Marc
Oooops! I stand corrected!

Still very nice!

Aug 10, 2015, 02:26 PM
holliday explorer
Hi again everybody,I answered Dave in a Pm how this one is equipped,it´s a model that came up in a thread 5 years ago her on RCU
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post10399171
and a "one off" built by Ivve Hallberg after a PND shortkit that was never really for sale...
OS 5025-375 paired with threeblade graupner 17x10 (if i remeber right, ) inch props, 4x6s 6000 and roughly 45 lbs with everything in place..Realistic air time around 6-7 minutes with reserve..
Electron Retracts which we never used this first flight (but the best retracts ivé seen so far by a mile,we have used them on other aircrafts)
I have a video here with Ivves gorgeous light system with "folding landing lights..
Super Constellation (1 min 22 sec)
Aug 11, 2015, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFlyer
Sweet! Do you have a build thread somewhere?

Marc
Here is my Connie Photoalbum ....

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...IieaFMlEGDvwG3

Ivan / Sweden
Oct 16, 2015, 12:37 PM
By chance do the plans suggest a 4stroke engine size for this?

Thanks
Scott
Oct 16, 2015, 10:28 PM
I hate spray cans
Thread OP
Nope it was designed as an electric from the start The 15 size electrics have great power even here at 5000 ft mine at 15 lbs was just too heavy at my altitude yes it flew but every turn was on the edge of a stall This probably flies well With air that has some thickness . There is no room in the nacelles and cowls for any wet applications
Don
Oct 17, 2015, 12:47 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokis
Hi again everybody,I answered Dave in a Pm how this one is equipped,it´s a model that came up in a thread 5 years ago her on RCU
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post10399171
and a "one off" built by Ivve Hallberg after a PND shortkit that was never really for sale...
OS 5025-375 paired with threeblade graupner 17x10 (if i remeber right, ) inch props, 4x6s 6000 and roughly 45 lbs with everything in place..Realistic air time around 6-7 minutes with reserve..
Electron Retracts which we never used this first flight (but the best retracts ivé seen so far by a mile,we have used them on other aircrafts)
I have a video here with Ivves gorgeous light system with "folding landing lights..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwZpkNjpFX0
I am using a very similar electric power system in my 134" Connie and the exact same props. The original Don Smith Connie at 134" and 50 lbs AUW was rated for (4) .60 2 strokes or (4) .90 4 strokes and in it there is room for a glow or gasoline fuel system. I opted for electric cause getting 4 IC engines to play nicely together is a daunting task for me.

Dave
May 01, 2017, 06:35 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
I have read where there are some issues with the original Don Smith plans (which I have) and also with the "Precision Cut Kits" short kit. I am not stating there are, so, please don't get upset at me, as I am only asking. As noted, I have the plans, and would love to build this plane.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; May 02, 2017 at 12:59 AM.
Nov 13, 2019, 05:39 PM
Don Owens, As I'm committed to building Phil Noel's Lockheed Super Constellation,I spent several days tolerating my smart phone as I read through your very informative build thread,taking the time to take notes. Having read most all the Phil Noel 88" Connie build threads here at rcgroups, I kept having this image of a triple tail plaque and a reminder about adding un necessary weight to the build,wishing it would not be so,would not be yours as I resisted the urge to scroll forward, In stead I continued to read and LEARN as I read thru to your test flight AND was saddened that it was indeed your loss.. Let me thank you for your great contribution to multi motor builds . I will resist the urge to cover my 88" ,Phil Noel Lockheed Super Constellation with glass and paint and In stead use iron on film in and again I will be using much of what I learned from your wonderful build thread,as I proceed to build my very own Phil Noel 88; Lockheed Super Constellation . I really enjoy the building phase ,as much as I LOVE to fly, I just LOVE to build!!!
Last edited by fastruchard; Nov 14, 2019 at 09:55 AM.
Nov 14, 2019, 05:45 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
I have read where there are some issues with the original Don Smith plans (which I have) and also with the "Precision Cut Kits" short kit. I am not stating there are, so, please don't get upset at me, as I am only asking. As noted, I have the plans, and would love to build this plane.

SteveT.
Yes-there are issues with both. But Larry at PCK only cuts what the plans tell him to, so it's not his fault. I'm currently doing one as a winter project, and you need to do some of your own engineering.

I have very positive fixture system, and I recommend using a 'fairing strip' over the formers before planking, just to find highs and lows......there are some.

* Larry and PCK have since passed, so that's no longer an option.*
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Nov 14, 2019, 09:28 PM
This thread is for the Phil Noel (88" Lockheed Super Constellation so why not post where appropriate. ALL POSTS ARE FOR THE PHIL NOEL 88" Lockheed Super Constellation. Please respect that and post in the correct forums. Respectfully
Nov 14, 2019, 10:02 PM
Why is it the people that only have a few posts and been on the forums for a short time think that they can tell the people that have been on the forums for a long time and have many posts what they can say and do?

Check how many posts epoxyearl has, and how many I have, and how many years we have been on these forums, I think we know the rules well enough to know what is kosher and what is not,

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Nov 15, 2019 at 12:24 AM.
Nov 14, 2019, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
Yes-there are issues with both. But Larry at PCK only cuts what the plans tell him to, so it's not his fault. I'm currently doing one as a winter project, and you need to do some of your own engineering.

I have very positive fixture system, and I recommend using a 'fairing strip' over the formers before planking, just to find highs and lows......there are some.

* Larry and PCK have since passed, so that's no longer an option.*
Fortunately, I have the plans in .pdf format which I can convert to Autocad .DXF format, and I recently bought myself a laser cutter, so could cut my own kit if I wanted to.

If I can get a set of plans for the 88", I may cut a kit for myself.
Last edited by SteveT.; Nov 14, 2019 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply