Apr 28, 2004, 01:49 PM
Thread OP

Fantasy scale?

Hey now,
So having a wife who doesn't like warbird paint patterns I'm not able to own some scale planes with "propper" paint. we've been having a er, disscussion about "fantasy scale". If you owned the full size whatever, how would you set it up?
I'll admit that I like the idea. This is how my U-2 sloper got painted fire engine red with yellow sunbursts... I know it's wrong, but it does look good.
She's also after me to paint my Gruman Albatross as a "hippy bus". After all *if* we owned one we'd prolly paint it in some gawds awful colours...
What do you think? New event? Abomination? o.k. for sport if you don't have to see it? let me know what you really think.
RobII
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2004, 12:13 AM
Will work for planes
Reno racers. You can paint your warbirds like reno racers.
May 01, 2004, 06:07 PM
Know what you mean... I've just completed a P40 with blood-red lipstick, an evil eye each side of the cowling, and many sharp white teeth! Mary says that it's been staring at her while she's watching soap! I've got to maiden it tomorrow. I think she wants me to come home with a bin bag. If the nose is left, I'll cyano it to the top of the plastic wide-screen telly, retreat to the building and do a Fokker with that face on the front!
Ah well! You've got two now, I've scored zero. They must all be watching Channel 4 from England.
Sorry, Mr Modelator, can't describe 43" span Kittyhawk here, the frightenly obese silencer is obscuring the grinning teeth on the port side!
Can you get fuel-proof washable paint, anybody?
May 05, 2004, 06:48 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
YES! Fantasy Scale! I like the sound of it. Go for it. I'm all for "doing your own thing". Be creative. I had one guy question my thinking because I used the improper decals for a scale Corsair,... Instead of using the included 187 for aircraft number, I made it 18.

This winter I'm going to build my own fantasy scale bird: http://mysite.verizon.net/res7oqj1/old.htm I have only a basic idea what it's going to look like, but it's going to be fun to build. Antique colors though,.... but maybe some bright trim work however.

Elfwreck / RobII, if you don't mind, I'm going to use "Fantasy Scale" to describe my Gilman Antique Flyer ( or whatever I end up calling it).

Fred
Last edited by blaze; May 05, 2004 at 06:51 PM.
May 05, 2004, 09:58 PM
Paint your Grumman Albatros in Coast Guard colors - white with international orange stripes - and show her that the US Coast Guard Albatros' did Search and Rescue work; the paint scheme was so they could be seen if they went down while trying to rescue others.

See, they aren't trying to kill people, they are Saving Them!

Well, this IS about Fantasy, isn't it?

blaze may get carried away and paint his Turbo Porter like the AN-2 biplane, UDDERLY BUTTERLY, in England

Terry
May 05, 2004, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Hey now,
My wife has no problem with the idea of killing, it's the "ugly" olive drab and tan combos she hates... "warbirds are soooo boring to look at...".
She's seen pix of the Albatross in coast guard colours, doesn't help it's just as boring as any warbird. Her favorite model right now is a GWS Formosa that I painted (just for her) so it looks like Rainbow Brite puk-er, evacuated her stomach on it tres` sixties...
Fred, use the term as much as you want. I figure if we get it out there folks will pick up on it.
Omega, She thinks most racers are pretty tacky too, beyond that racers only work if I want a mustprang (no thanks), Bearcat (eh...), or may be a couple others. But what about spits, me 109s, B-25s...
RobII
May 06, 2004, 02:07 AM
I heard that the great pioneer, A.V. Roe (AVRO) designed, built, covered it (with brown parcel paper) his Triplane and flew it. One of Julie Andrews' "Favourite Things" comes to mind on a time warp! Build a scale model of this, don't fly it - mail it!

Quick Reply