Nov 05, 2019, 08:22 AM
My Wots Wot lost its top wing mid-flight, and is no more.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2019, 08:31 AM
Late for work again!
Thread OP
I looked at it yesterday and wondered if it could fly with one wing!

Chris is very particular in the instructions about using the right rubber bands and there is a passage in the flight trouble shooting section that tickled me: 'Loud clonk or model pulls up suddenly - Top wing lifting'.

I'm moving on to some vintage scale glider stuff now, a Multiplex LS3 and Wik ASW 20, unbuilt models that have gel coat problems.

Have done a blog post if anyone is interested.
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Nov 05, 2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Add blog post link
Dec 02, 2019, 02:35 PM
Late for work again!
Thread OP

The flying bit

Well, a mere five years and two months after buying the kit she flies!!

The forecast for today's weather was blue skies and light winds but temperatures starting at 0C and peaking at 5, brrrrrr!!!

My Wots-Wot fired up good as gold and I flew a couple of circuits and even did a roll!! Fingers were totally numb after that so it was gloves on and a coffee.

Range checked the Xtra Wot and ran the engine without the cowling on, first time that the engine had run in the airframe.

My flying buddy suggested doing the first flight without the cowling which I did. It needed about half the available up trim and the elevator was a little twitchy on the low rate. Flew a couple of circuits and then landed. No more than 1/3 throttle needed for gentle flying.

Fitted the cowling and refuelled (1/3 tank used in five minutes or so), lowered the elevator low rate range of movement and also the rudder which was too sensitive. Climbing out after take off it experienced a radio glitch and I gingerly brought it round to land again.

On that flight I noticed it wanted to roll left which a flew clicks of aileron trim fixed, I was going to try flying inverted to see if I could remove some nose weight but the radio problem cut the flight short.

The engine was well behaved throughout.

The radio problem is odd, I used a surplus AR 9300 and two satellites, I only ever used one in my carbon gliders. The transmitter is a DX7 which I have owned from new. An onboard flight log showed antenna fades and frame losses over double what they should be, the glitch was a single hold (failsafe).

I have converted to Jeti for gliders and electric models and think I will go this way for power models.

Another alternative is to go back to 35 mhz with a JR PCM9X II and JR receiver. Got the whole winter to think about it, the main thing is it flew twice and was brought home intact!

Cheers

Gary
Dec 02, 2019, 05:59 PM
I just want to go fly!
the background looks like a pink floyd cover. love it! plane looks super!

Quick Reply