Neo 180 Build Thread - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 23, 2014, 08:16 PM
Build Log

Neo 180 Build Thread

This past winter I built a little retro-styled Classic Pattern plane and published it in Flying Models. When FM went down, I asked the publisher to return the rights so I could do something with it. Follow along as I go through the build online this time.

If you're interested in making one of your own, you can purchase a short kit and plans from Manzano Laser. If all you need is plans, send me a PM.

I'll be getting started on this pretty soon, but I'll give you a teaser...

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2014, 08:47 PM
R/C Addict for Life!!
Hey Andy,
I started my Neo last week. Have not had much time to work on it since. So far it has been a neat little project! I hope to get it done before we take a driving trip to Ark. In October......I need something small to pack and fly?

Darryl
Sep 25, 2014, 12:27 AM
I have all the wood work done on mine an just started covering the wings very nice kit to build
Sep 25, 2014, 08:25 PM
My intro from the FM article is quoted here:

Quote:
When I was a little kid—so little I don’t remember how young I was—my father took me and my big brother to a model airplane meet at a full-scale airport not too far from our home in northwest New Jersey. I remember seeing CL Combat, FF towliners, and best of all, some RC Pattern planes. I remember just a few things about Pattern. They were all loud and some had pipes and were really fast. These looked like sleek jets. The rest weren’t as loud or as fast and didn’t capture my attention nearly as much. Ever since then I have loved the elegant lines of airplanes flown during that era of Pattern.

For the past few years I’ve been building models in smaller sizes, frequently about 100 square inches and powered by 180-size brushless motors. The Neo is my attempt — with major input and encouragement from Michael Ramsey—to pull together key design elements from some of my favorite Classic Pattern models. The goal was to create a “new classic,” while integrating some modern design features.

The Neo 180’s nose and moments are from Dick Hanson’s legendary Tiporare, the fin styling from Joe Bridi’s Dirty Birdy, and the wings and stab are from Bruce Lund’s Gulfstream. As for modernizations, we went with a nearly-square planform, plug-in wings, separate aileron servos, electric power, and an AS3X brick. One thing we didn’t change: you’ll need to sand the canopy and cowl to shape.

The landing gear is optional as an accommodation to grass flying fields, but we also show trike gear for those who know that takeoff and landing are supposed to be scored maneuvers. The nose wheel is free castering for simplicity, and works quite well due to the model’s light weight and ample rudder authority, as long as air is going across the rudder. The plans also show how Michael built his as a taildragger if you are so inclined. The clearance as shown in either version is suitable for up to about 5-inch props. You may order the short kit from Manzano Laser which will save you about three hours of work.
One of the things I enjoyed about this build was working side-by-side with longtime friend Michael Ramsey. I'm not a people person, but having a building buddy sure helps!

Michael took many of the photos in this thread, often with my camera.

Andy
Last edited by AndyKunz; Sep 25, 2014 at 08:34 PM.
Nov 07, 2014, 05:56 PM
Looks very nice.

Mike
Nov 09, 2014, 09:25 AM
Yeah that's really an intriguing plane.
It's also very light, isn't it?
Very impressive, Andy.
Nov 09, 2014, 07:54 PM
Yes, ready to fly it's right at 100g. I design for 100g/100sq inches with this power system.

Andy
Nov 09, 2014, 08:16 PM
Incredible.
Nov 19, 2014, 06:42 AM
Watching with interest. Looking for something to put the guts of my UMX beast in. I think I would have more fun flying this. Pardon my ignorance but does "short kit" mean that I have to strip balsa? Never bought a short kit before. Plus also wondering if I would have to adjust the AS3X.
Last edited by spaceinvader; Nov 19, 2014 at 07:29 AM.
Nov 19, 2014, 08:36 AM
You probably won't need to touch the AS3X at all. I fly mine with the Carbon Cub settings. Another guy has the MiG-15 settings in his.

"Short Kit" means all the cut sheet parts are provided. You need to provide your own 1/8" square or 1/32" sheet balsa. Both of those should be available from your local hobby shop. The canopy and cowl are available from Keith Sparks - link is on the plans or you can make your own from block balsa. This is easy to do, and I'll cover it in this thread.

I'm hoping to update this thread on Thursday and get it current again.

Andy
Nov 19, 2014, 09:08 AM
Andy, the plastic parts from Sparky are in the short kits.

Customers only need to supply wire, wheels, sticks and sheet.

charlie

PS 'short kit' is described in the FAQ section of our web site.
Nov 19, 2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Charlie, that's great to have them included!

Andy
Nov 19, 2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks for your answers. The main problem I have is that the only "local" hobby shop is an hour's drive. This means I would have to buy at Michael's and their balsa supply is questionable. It would be nice to know what sizes of balsa were needed in case I have to order online. I guess I'm not very patient. If anyone knows roughly what I would need, I could go ahead and start looking. Sorry to be a bother but I've just started getting interested in balsa (Got way to many foamies) and I like the challenge of building something as opposed to putting 3 screws in and I'm done. I have built 2 of the Steven's Aero micros and I have a Mountain Models EVA Bipe coming but they have all the wood included. I think I've caught a virus.
Latest blog entry: VA Models Christen Eagle
Nov 19, 2014, 09:47 AM
Get yourself 6 sticks of 1/8 x 1/8 hard, straight balsa strips. You will also need a single sheet of 1/32" x 3 x 36. And you will have leftovers of both!

Andy
Nov 19, 2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks Andy. Ordered the kit. Any recommendations on brand of covering? (I told you I wasn't very patient). I'll probably have more questions later.
Latest blog entry: VA Models Christen Eagle