Sep 23, 2014, 10:53 AM
400' + is where fun starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
Re. launching and amperage: all true; re. rods/fuselage: I'll point the guys to this question.
A plywood sheet with holes for the cf rods glued to the inside of the fuse will take the stress off the foam. I've done this before kn another plane.
Last edited by Martin Y; Jan 01, 2015 at 11:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2014, 05:16 PM
Subbed...
Interesting project
Sep 23, 2014, 06:44 PM
FPV Pilot
One of the things i love about my TwinStar is how well it flys and how easy it is to transport. I never had to break it down as it fit easily in my car.
Sep 23, 2014, 06:47 PM
FPV Pilot
Hate to brag but i've yet to see a Twinstar as nicely done as mine. I've built 4 of them and have gotten it down to this final version which has served me well. If this plane can fly anywhere near as well as my Twin i'll buy it on the spot.
Sep 23, 2014, 09:49 PM
Flying Zayin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Hate to brag
Bragging is well justified in your case!
By the way how do you deal with the props hitting the ground on landing? do you set your esc to brake or to free spinning?
Looks like we are limited to small props due to distance from motor to ground.
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Sep 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:34 PM
Hello

We will post more photos and videos soon. We got very good result with this plane in the tests, high efficiency(130mah/KM, 4S, Weight=2.6KG), and very, very stable flying. Hope everyone likes it!
Last edited by myflydream; Sep 24, 2014 at 12:40 AM.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:40 PM
Flying Zayin
Thread OP
Guys help me to persuade this man to move the airspeed sensor (ass for short) from the tip of the nose to some other location.
He becomes deaf when I start trying to tell him this place is no good.
Just pour him down with messages like, Charles move the ass away from the nose!
Sep 23, 2014, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Guys help me to persuade this man to move the airspeed sensor (ass for short) from the tip of the nose to some other location.
He becomes deaf when I start trying to tell him this place is no good.
Just pour him down with messages like, Charles move the ass away from the nose!
We have this:
You can glue it on the platform which is behind the front cover. But personally I'd install it on the nose. Clean , high efficiency. And we never damage it during tests. A bigger problem than landing is the transportation. But still acceptable if you pay attention.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:54 PM
Flying Zayin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by myflydream View Post
A bigger problem than landing is the transportation. But still acceptable if you pay attention.
Well I know some guy who recently broke off this ass simply trying to get the plane into the elevator cabin. Or, was it that the doors were shutting too fast?

Seriously, when I come to my home door with busy hands and I need to open it I have to put something on the ground near the door. I would normally put my plane upright onto its nose while fishing in my pockets for the key at the same time holding the plane with my knee. Sounds complex but just try to visualize it. Putting the plane onto the ground horizontally would mean having to bend down, but I have 2-3 boxes hanging on my neck and shoulders that can fall down if I bow this way. 麻烦死了.

I would also very much hope you moved the elevator servo upwards as shown in the picture. Yes it hasn't caused any trouble during the tests but it might, sometime somewhere. Why won't we eliminate this risk altogether?
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Sep 23, 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Sep 24, 2014, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Well I know some guy who recently broke off this ass simply trying to get the plane into the elevator cabin. Or, was it that the doors were shutting too fast?

Seriously, when I come to my home door with busy hands and I need to open it I have to put something on the ground near the door. I would normally put my plane upright onto its nose while fishing in my pockets for the key at the same time holding the plane with my knee. Sounds complex but just try to visualize it. Putting the plane onto the ground horizontally would mean having to bend down, but I have 2-3 boxes hanging on my neck and shoulders that can fall down if I bow this way. 麻烦死了.

I would also very much hope you moved the elevator servo upwards as shown in the picture. Yes it hasn't caused any trouble during the tests but it might, sometime somewhere. Why won't we eliminate this risk altogether?
You can choose the 2nd place to install the air-speed sensor with Losing a little bit efficiency.
The servo downwards installation is not a trouble because the fuselage is high enough. And.......the manufacturer is already producing the mold now
Sep 24, 2014, 12:29 AM
FPV Pilot
Quote:
Bragging is well justified in your case!
By the way how do you deal with the props hitting the ground on landing? do you set your esc to brake or to free spinning?
Looks like we are limited to small props due to distance from motor to ground.
8x5 prop clears with no problem. Cant go bigger than a 9" however.

Twin Star - Satellite (5 min 32 sec)
Sep 24, 2014, 01:02 AM
Flying Zayin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
(video)
quality of video is stunning.
Sep 24, 2014, 02:52 AM
From the pictures the motors seems quite close to the fuselage. What is the max size you can fit with sufficient clearance to the fuselage (I don't care about the ground clearance)?

For a model of this size I would like to use 9 -10in props on a twin.
Sep 24, 2014, 03:18 AM
Flying Zayin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron-sand View Post
What is the max size you can fit with sufficient clearance to the fuselage
The prototype we're testing now has 8 inch props on it. I would also prefer 9 or 10 but unlike you I am concerned about ground clearance. However the main reason is not the ground clearance but the fact that the middle part of the wing is not detachable and hence it needs to stay within limits for transportation (and even more importantly, for shipment).
There were some confinements the designers had to deal with, this is one of them.

I am right now not ready to answer what the biggest size can be, let me check it or ask Charles.
Sep 24, 2014, 03:54 AM
I really hope there is sufficient clearance for up to 9 - 10in props. For a plane of this size, that is a requirement at least for me.

I fly a lot of wings and other belly landing designs and it is long between a prop breaking during landing.

Quick Reply