Sep 22, 2014, 07:18 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fms Stuka

I have been working my way up to flying my Stuka. Flew several others planes before I moved on to this one. The trim was set up so bad I thought I was flying a 3d plane. Any hints on how to set the trim before I take off. Elevator and rudder are fine the wings / ailerons may be the problem. Do not want to try and correct the trim in flight. Not possible plane was flying erratic. Luckily I had high brush nearby to drop the plane in
Last edited by decreale; Sep 22, 2014 at 11:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2014, 07:35 AM
ARFs Are Me
The ailerons should be on a parallel plane with the bottom of the wing.
Sep 22, 2014, 08:07 AM
Hi Decreale,
Make sure you take the cannons off until you get it trimmed. Check every hinge since there have been instances of not enough glue or none at all. This would make the flaps or ailerons flutter and cause instability. Hope this helps.
Frank Arbaugh
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
Cannons were off. Will check all hinges. I will check to make sure ailerons are parallel to the wing
Thank you
Sep 22, 2014, 04:53 PM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
what exactly was going on? was the plane rolling to one direction? we need more details.
Sep 22, 2014, 08:53 PM
Look out below
What is your cg and what is manufactures cg?
What is your control throws and dr/exp?
Sep 22, 2014, 08:55 PM
I had the Stuka for a while before I sold it. It's a very nice flying model when it's trimmed out. The flaps are very effective and a lot of fun. Get her sorted out, it's worth it!
Sep 23, 2014, 06:55 AM
Thread OP
Basically the plane on take off went up and to the right. At that point I knew something was wrong. Got altitude somehow. The plane would not fly level always turning at this point flipping to right . Powered back to see what it would do nose dive of course. Gave it power and it just kept flipping over spinning. Decided to cut power before it flew off so down into the high grass it went. My pilots ejected LOL I adjusted the ailerons last night . I believe I got them correct. Hopefully this weekend I will find out
Last edited by decreale; Sep 23, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Sep 23, 2014, 08:36 AM
Look out below
How about some pics while it is powered up ready to fly with prop off?

rear view
side view both sides
Sep 23, 2014, 09:58 AM
what mcnowhere wrote in both posts
+
check your lateral balance. run a string around prop shaft and hang plane from that while someone supports the bottom of the vertical stab. see if one wing dips.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:38 AM
Thread OP
Ok I can do pictures this evening. However I did make adjustments last night to the ailerons. Did check the lateral balance, wings are fine.
Last edited by decreale; Sep 24, 2014 at 07:55 AM.
Sep 23, 2014, 07:01 PM
Thread OP

pictures

Name: IMG_0711.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 184.1 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0712.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 181.2 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0710.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 186.0 KB
Description: Pictures
Last edited by decreale; Sep 23, 2014 at 08:34 PM.
Sep 24, 2014, 10:32 AM
why are your control surfaces offset that much from the same plane as the wing? is it something to do with the hinges?
Sep 24, 2014, 10:47 AM
Thread OP

Stuka

Yes it is because of the hinges. I guess from your question you are not familiar with the Stuka
Last edited by decreale; Sep 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
Sep 24, 2014, 11:05 AM
Hi decreale,
Wings look good. That is the way the Stuka flaps & ailerons were designed. There are dive brakes so the plane would not go too fast when bombing, but these are not modeled and are on the leading edge of the wing. If you are still having control problems, it has to be either the motor mount or the CG. (Center of gravity) is too far back. Check to see if the motor is firmly mounted and angled down and slightly to the right. This is done to offset the engine torque so the plane will not turn too hard to the left on takeoff. My lefts and rights could be backward since it all depends on which way the engine turns. ( Clockwise or counter clockwise). Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.
Frank Arbaugh
Last edited by arbfrank; Sep 25, 2014 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply