RC Plane Stand - RC Groups
Sep 21, 2014, 06:51 PM
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Discussion

RC Plane Stand

I hope this works! I just completed a new RC stand from blue prints I got off of the net. I added additional support and painted it. I hope the attachment comes through!

Name: 20140921_181349.jpg
Views: 210
Size: 805.0 KB
Description:
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2014, 08:41 PM
Fix it til it's broke
Been needing a stand. Yours looks great. Where did you find the plans?
Sep 21, 2014, 08:59 PM
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Shane,
Here is the link;
http://www.vintauri.com/diy-airplane-stand-from-pvc/
I made a few mods. If you look at the middle bottom of my stand I added a pvc bar across the center for more support. I also changed a few dimensions. If you add the center support you will need two more T connectors. I also used water heater pipe insulation instead of the foam on the original plans. I used 3/4 inch pvc and bought a pvc pipe cutter (Home Depot) for $15.00 which made the job super easy. You can complete the stand under an hour. I have approximately $20.00 in the project, minus the paint and cutter. I made three so far and just completed spray painting this one.
Rich
Sep 22, 2014, 12:19 PM
Nice stand. I think that you can make the build a little easier and eliminate four fittings and four pieces of pipe if you get rid of the 45* elbows on the legs. There is no need for them except to make the stand a little taller, which can be accomplished by making the legs a little longer.
Sep 22, 2014, 02:42 PM
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Thanks Leo! I used the extra connectors for a bit more height as I measured them from our flying club tables. The 45's give me the angle that I need and the extra fittings are only another $1.60.
Last edited by G. I. Flyer; Sep 22, 2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added a sentence.
Sep 22, 2014, 07:11 PM
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I attached another stand that I made today. My wife was a lieutenant Commander in the Navy and I had to do a Blue Angel Stand!
Sep 22, 2014, 09:56 PM
Look out below
Man you do good work! And I think you are ADDICTED to your new hobby. Are you still just doing the sim or have you gotten the Apprentice in the air yet?
Sep 22, 2014, 10:34 PM
Power Glide
Very nicely done. Here's a pic of a simple one I made with a length of pvc and a couple of 90 degree elbows.

Name: Wildcat at Field.JPG
Views: 158
Size: 107.5 KB
Description:
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 PM
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Mcnowhere you are not just kidding! I saw the plans and made one at first and then it led to two then three. They are simple to make, and cheap. The longest part is waiting for the paint to dry! You also have a great memory as I am flying the wheels off the sim! I took my DX6 to our club and a few members showed me how they set their radios up and some of the features of mine. I tried a few planes on the sim but use the Apprentice mainly. I can not figure how to set up the panic switch or the SAFE thing. I can fly the Apprentice in the beginner mode and advanced mode as well. I can not see any difference in either mode. I saw a video that once in the expert mode you can roll the plane and other functions. I can not roll the plane in either mode but I guess I do not really need it for now. I was just looking for something more challenging.
Rich
Sep 22, 2014, 10:52 PM
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Prndl,
Very neat and good looking! I love to see the ideas of others as there some great ones. Does prndl stand for Park Reverse Neutral Drive Low or am I showing my age!
Rich
Sep 23, 2014, 12:40 AM
Look out below
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. I. Flyer
Mcnowhere you are not just kidding! I saw the plans and made one at first and then it led to two then three. They are simple to make, and cheap. The longest part is waiting for the paint to dry! You also have a great memory as I am flying the wheels off the sim! I took my DX6 to our club and a few members showed me how they set their radios up and some of the features of mine. I tried a few planes on the sim but use the Apprentice mainly. I can not figure how to set up the panic switch or the SAFE thing. I can fly the Apprentice in the beginner mode and advanced mode as well. I can not see any difference in either mode. I saw a video that once in the expert mode you can roll the plane and other functions. I can not roll the plane in either mode but I guess I do not really need it for now. I was just looking for something more challenging.
Rich
So your flying for real thats great. We better see some video soon. I just checked your blog and you have not started one yet?? Click on my name or others and see what others do in their blog.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:04 AM
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sorry Mcnowhere as I might not have explained myself correctly. I am not yet in real flight just simulator flying. In the mean time I am compiling items that I will need when ready. My wife bought me a Spektrum battery pack and charger for my DX6 along with a Futaba BR 3000 battery checker. I am new and not to up on the blog thing but will figure it out today.
Rich
Sep 23, 2014, 08:30 PM
Look out below
Oh well you will get there soon, and so will the p47 I think is what your working up to.
Read thru all the info around Rcg and google helps too. Are you going to do some building or only arfs since winter is coming?

Look into orange rx and lemon rx (receivers spektrum compatable) for low cost park flyers and epp foam planes.

I didn't like the looks and still don't of the profile epp planes. But its one of my better buys and really helped my flying and radio programing. Since I got my techone yak 54 , I must have glued it back together 3 or 4 times and still flys great.
Sep 23, 2014, 09:52 PM
Power Glide
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. I. Flyer
Prndl,
Very neat and good looking! I love to see the ideas of others as there some great ones. Does prndl stand for Park Reverse Neutral Drive Low or am I showing my age!
Rich
Thanks...not nearly as nice as yours.

You got it! I chose it because my other hobby is old cars.
Sep 24, 2014, 07:50 PM
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Prndl,
We are hot-rodders as well! Sold them over the years but have two 409's in the garage. One is a 409 truck engine that many folks bore out and pump up. The other is a mix of 409 and 348 parts. I also have a Dragstar 6 duece manifold for the 409, very nostalgic!
Rich