Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
This thread is privately moderated by jetpilotrich, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by jetpilotrich
New Product

FMS / DIAMOND HOBBY F3A EXPLORER Full Review & Demo By: RCINFORMER

The New F3A Explorer should be available on the 20th

FMS / DIAMOND HOBBY F3A EXPLORER Full Review & Demo By: RCINFORMER (12 min 45 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2014, 08:12 AM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Thanks for the video.
I noticed at the end it says it was flown with a 3s 2600, but the product page states 3s 1800. any issues installing/balancing the larger battery?

Any special setup requirements (aileron differential, any mixing) or is it just straight no mix setup?

It looks like a nice little plane
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2014, 04:40 AM
Find More Posts by LooseSox
Loose Sox Special Spec
What was your CG like? I won one of these in a raffle at a recent fly in. I run SMC 2800 3S packs and even pushed all the way forward there's now way I'm hitting the recommended 95mm. Without any extra weight in the nose, I'd be lucky to hit 120mm!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by Oarmaster

cg

Hi loosesocks, How is the plane flying for you. I have had significant difficulty having fun with plane. Using 2.1 mah batteries requires that I add significant weight to the front at which time the plane wants to fall out of the sky during anything but the fastest turns.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by Aerobatic Addict
Has anyone had problems with getting this plane to stay trimmed? I've flown it 21 times on 3s 2250 and it seems like I'm still constantly trimming it out. It drives me nuts. I also moved the linkage to the second most closest hole to the servo to try to make it fly more precise. I could not go closer because the linkage would hit the servo. Now I put a Eagle A3 super gyro in it since it has plenty of room for it. It's a shame that the flight characteristics are not what I expected since I was impressed with how well the product was packaged and the quality as I took it out of the box.
Last edited by Aerobatic Addict; Nov 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by Oarmaster
I ended installing my ar635 AS3X gyro out of my Horizon Splendor. The Splendor does not need a gyro, super stable. I ended ordering another Splendor for about $120.. What a deal. The AS3X made a big difference in the Explorer. Much less twitchy and more fun to fly.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by apereira
I just flew mine with a ThunderPower 2700, I had to add 80grs to the nose to be close to the 95mm from the L.E. It is way wrong I was expecting that anyway, I removed the 80grs and Is still a bit nose heavy, I only did three battery break in flights and CG adjustment, and it flies great, still need to set it up.

If anyone try to fly it at 95 to 100 It will have enourmus rudder to aileron coupling.

Regards
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by baum58
hi all, there is a problem the way the GC is maked. 95mm forward of leading edge???? the pic shows is 95mm back of leading edge. to confuse the matter the outside of the shipping box shows 125mm. it will not balance at 95 with an 2200. Ayone flying atn120 to 125mm? at 149$ this is a great deal, but lets ge the CG problem fixed or the great deal will crash into the hillside......

Peter
Old Mar 25, 2015, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by Alan999
Quote:
Originally Posted by baum58 View Post
hi all, there is a problem the way the GC is maked. 95mm forward of leading edge???? the pic shows is 95mm back of leading edge. to confuse the matter the outside of the shipping box shows 125mm. it will not balance at 95 with an 2200. Ayone flying atn120 to 125mm? at 149$ this is a great deal, but lets ge the CG problem fixed or the great deal will crash into the hillside......

Peter
Agree completely!;

I have this airframe, assembled but not yet flown - with a 3 s 2200 mAh if balances at 120mm from the leading edge. This is roughly where the servo wires for the ailerons are buried in the wing. I have been conversing with FMS support, they confirm that 95 mm is the right number, and asked me the weight of my battery, questioned if I have the battery all the way forward. (Not a rookie, but I guess they had to ask)

Sent them a photo of the battery on the scale and another photo of the battery in the plane as far forward as the battery tray permits. Will share response here if I get something useable.

I HATE adding weight to airframes - I am thinking of something that is perhaps ill advised. Feedback is welcome.

I am considering the removal of the foam ledge that is at the most forward part of the battery tray. This will let me reposition the battery hold down, and slide the battery another inch or so forward.

The little ledge might have some structural value, so I will add a CF rod or plate
to stiffen with negligible weight.

If I keep the battery from sliding around - what else should I be worried about?

(I thought about airflow, but frankly don't see that this would have any real impact - still the same clearance for airflow.)

I am trying to stay optimistic about this purchase - hoping to get past this issue .

Alan
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apereira View Post
I just flew mine with a ThunderPower 2700, I had to add 80grs to the nose to be close to the 95mm from the L.E. It is way wrong I was expecting that anyway, I removed the 80grs and Is still a bit nose heavy, I only did three battery break in flights and CG adjustment, and it flies great, still need to set it up.

If anyone try to fly it at 95 to 100 It will have enourmus rudder to aileron coupling.

Regards
Please Advise;

Where did your CG end up after you got it all set up?
What is the weight of your ThunderPower 2700?

Informed advice is greatly valued

Alan
Old Mar 26, 2015, 05:18 PM
I ended up adding 8oz under the cowling with and hobby king 2200 3S

Peter
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baum58 View Post
I ended up adding 8oz under the cowling with and hobby king 2200 3S

Peter
Thanks Peter;

I got a response from FMS support this morning that I thought was worth sharing

"Dear Alan,

Thank you for your prompt reply and detail information.

The battery is OK for this plane and the R&D department check the CG again this morning.They think the reasonable range for CG is 95mm-110mm,we can fly this plane without adding weight on the nose when the CG is 110mm.

I hope it can helpful to you."

Mine is in the 115-120mm range with no added weight.

If the weather permits, I will do first flights this weekend.

I am thinking that I will add little or no weight to the nose, test fly it, and let the airplane tell me what it needs.

I know this comes with the risk that my first flights could be a catastrophe, but also that if I can get it to work well without the extra weight, I will enjoy it a lot more, and actually fly it.

I don't draw much distinction between the two negative fates - crash and burn because I was too aggressive versus hanging on the wall and never flown because it was a dissapointment. If I crash and burn, at least I have the wall space open for something else.

I will share results when I have them
Old Mar 28, 2015, 02:55 AM
one of the side effects to forward CG is you will run out of elevator on landing and slugish flying and on inverted some "push" on the evlevator will be needed. that is easier to handle the tail havy.

Peter
Old Apr 21, 2015, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by flyinbill1
flyinbill1

Motor thrust

My F3A Explorer CG is 115mm from the wing leading edge. I find that with the elevator halfs centered in the stab, I have to hold a considerable amount of up elevator for straight and level. The down lines are straight, but the up lines pull to the belly. This tells me that the wing incidence and the CG is most likely correct, but the motor needs more positive thrust. Has anyone else had this problem? Where should the motor thrust be set?
Last edited by flyinbill1; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Lower AL
Wow what a fun plane to fly,
Got mine from Diamond Hobby, fast shipping and received in great shape. Went together very easy with no major headaches. CG was spot on with a 2200 3s up against the ridge. Recommend using the suggested throws, mine was a little lively for the maiden which went great. Can't wait to get the Explorer back in clam air.
Jeff................
FMS Explorer 27Jun15 @ Aaron Bessant Park (9 min 45 sec)