Axial SCX10 Ram Power Wagon 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - Review

The Axial SCX10 Ram Power Wagon - an RC version of the full scale Dodge truck.

Splash

Ram Power Wagon

AxialSCX10 Ram Power Wagon
Transmitter:AX-3 2.4GHz
Width:9" (229mm)Length19.4" (492.8mm)
Height:8.75" (222mm)Wheelbase:12.3" (313mm)
Ground Clearance:2.5" (63.5mm)Weight:3.98lb (1.8kg)
Motor:27T 540/550 size
Radio:2.4GHz,
Servo:High-torque metal gear
ESC:Forward and reverse ESC
Price (USD):$359.99

The Axial SCX10 Ram Power Wagon has a body that all you Dodge fans will appreciate. The Power Ram has been cool for decades and the SCX10 platform is a reliable and capable unit fit for the Ram. This truck is for backyard or backwoods off-roading and even some rock crawling. I love that the battery is over the front end to keep the nose down during steep climbs.

The body separates into two parts, which I used to install the Axial roll cage and flatbed option (more on that in this article). The front and rear bumpers/lights can also be removed for upgrades. Axial is always thinking ahead!

The Video - The Axial Ram Power Wagon Takes the Creek

Axial Ram Power Wagon - RCGroups.com (4 min 8 sec)

Let's Take a Look

More Features of the Ram Power Wagon

• The WB8 HD Wildboar Driveshafts have a large diameter cross pin (2x11mm).
  • A Splined slider reduces flex and fatigue.
  • The 4-Link design reduces axle steer and torque twist.
  • The SCX10 has single coil springs over oil filled shocks that are tunable.
  • The backbone is a realistic, rigid steel C-channel frame.
  • The dual slipper design uses a pad on each side of the spur gear for added surface area.
  • The transmission was designed to maintain a low CG (Center of Gravity).
  • The overall ratio can be adjusted from 15:1 all the way up to 74:1 using different pinion/spur gear choices which allow for super high speed or competition level crawling speed.

The SCX10 Roll Cage Flat Bed Set - AX80046

Axial also sent their roll cage/flat bed set. I thought if we were going to get the Power Wagon we might as well trick it out! While it doesn't appear that this piece was made for the Power Wagon it was pretty simple to get it mounted and ready roll.

Climbing the Creek

Check out the video to see the Ram Power Wagon in action! Here our some photos from my outdoor excursions.

Conclusion

I love that when an Axial truck shows up, it's ready to go. I know everything that came with the rig is good to go. I'm the king of modding things that don't really need to be modded. I have enough miles on my Axial trucks to know they are good to go. The only issue I had with the Ram Power Wagon was some rubbing on the body. It wasn't enough for me to get out the scissors but I did notice it when I was really working some big rocks. I love that the battery is over the front end. I was running some big 3 cell lipos and I was surprised at the inclines I was getting up, even with wet tires. After getting halfway up my creek I was basically in the cab of the truck negotiating terrain. My first vehicle at the tender age of 15 was an IH Scout. Four wheeling is what we did for fun back then. I was amazed how many of my full scale off-roading tricks applied to the Axial truck. As usual, the Axial is awesome.

Click here to learn more about this truck.

Click here to check out the roll cage and flat bed.

Oct 03, 2014, 02:53 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Nice review, Jim. I'm not that much into crawlers, but this almost makes me want to get one right away.
Oct 03, 2014, 03:03 PM
Administrator
This is my third crawler. I have to say, until I crawled up that creek I don't think I really got it. Halfway up I realized what all the fuse was about. I brought a couple out with me to my Nashville event. We had guys crawling wood piles that had never done it before. They were getting it too!
Oct 03, 2014, 08:46 PM
Jim, glad to see you plane guys seeing the appeal of cars. Crawlers, especially, appeal to adults because it's not just about bashing around and kicking up dirt. It's technical. It is great fun to crawl along slowly and make the truck move as scale as possible. I love watching crawler videos but I hate it when they blip the throttle with a high power setup to get over an obstacle. NO!!!! That's not how it works in real life! You don't have 2000hp motors!
Oct 03, 2014, 11:30 PM
Administrator
I was guilty of a blip or three in my vid but I was trying to use my skill set I learned in my full scale Scout. I will also admit it just looks so cool and feels rewarding when you make it past the obstacle!
Oct 04, 2014, 08:17 AM
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't presume to tell someone how to operate their models with my limited skill set, especially someone like yourself! Was just stating a preference. It's hard to resist with all that power on tap. But back on topic, I think it's great to see something other than a jeep from Axial, but I wish they had painted the bumpers and grille a different color, would look so much better. But I guess that's what the kit version is for.
Oct 04, 2014, 08:59 AM
Administrator
An interesting thing to note is that the front and rear bumpers can removed. It looks like the lights front and rear can also be replaced. The truck bed was easily removed with 4 bolts.
Oct 04, 2014, 08:09 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
WOW! What a great looking truck! I am really impressed with this one... I sell so many of the wraiths, and AX-10's at my shop that they started to get boring. I like the scale truck side of crawlers.
Oct 05, 2014, 10:22 PM
Did you have any problems with the rear links bending? My other axial trucks had that problem and I upgraded to aluminum links
Latest blog entry: Bigfoot.
Oct 06, 2014, 06:46 AM
Administrator
I have had zero issues.
Oct 10, 2014, 06:41 PM
All of the videos I see show this crawling but I'm very interested to see how it moves with that fast gear plugged in. It's not clear to me that you can do this out-of-the-box but if so it seems a unique feature that sets it apart from other rtr's.
Oct 11, 2014, 08:59 PM
Crawling is great for toddlers to learn too.
Got a 1/24 crawler for my 2 year old and he learned how to control it with no risk of damage to anything in the house or the crawler itself.
This would be a good one for him to step up to.