Jun 11, 2017, 10:46 AM
A few passes from yesterday, somehow my total flight time was 5:30, packs came down at 3.72volts. The Zop power lipo is still hanging in there, pretty impressive since it's quite light.

Habu32x JetFan upgrade on 8cells (2 min 30 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2017, 09:49 PM
Very nice nighthawk.
Latest blog entry: Updated blog - Oct 2017
Jun 18, 2017, 09:10 PM
Flying High Again!

Habu 32x

EFLUX RC

I'm finally building my Habu 32x. Power will be the stock fan and motor with a heat sink. Castle creations 100 ESC, Glacier 7 cell 5300's. Efllite retracts with Tam jet struts. Will it make a difference if I change the stock thrust tube to a Mylar one you sell? If I should upgrade can you give me details.

Thanks,
Triptykon
Jun 23, 2017, 10:52 PM
Tryptykon,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been camping in the Sierra's for 6 days, and am finally getting caught up.
Running the stock motor on 7s is already putting extra load on it. Many guys add a heat sink to the motor as well. Some do not. It depends on the ambient temps and how hard you are on the throttle. I personally have not run the stock setup on 7s. For more thrust and top end speed, we have been using the Jetfan 80mm EDF, with the larger, 36-39mm dia motors that are better suited handling higher power levels.
Latest blog entry: Updated blog - Oct 2017
Jun 26, 2017, 04:54 AM
I have a hard time with the locating pins on the stab. Due to their angle, it's impossible to slip the tips in the holes when the spar is in place for gluing.

If I shorten them by 1/2 it should be possible to slip them in. Is there a reason the pins are that long , it seems unnecessary (?)

Is there another way?
Jun 26, 2017, 07:12 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Its been a while but I vaguely remember having to fool with that to get them to pop into place but I didn't have to cut anything it just took some fiddling
Jun 26, 2017, 08:28 AM
I remember my stabs not being a perfect fit, and there being a tad of wiggling. I had to silicone them into place to keep them rigid.
Jun 26, 2017, 06:31 PM
Suspended Account
Last edited by Comrade_D; Jul 25, 2020 at 01:27 PM.
Jun 26, 2017, 06:38 PM
Suspended Account
Last edited by Comrade_D; Jul 25, 2020 at 01:28 PM.
Jun 27, 2017, 12:41 AM
Flying High Again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade_D
Keep it default and light. With 6S3300, it flies amazing.
I know people will try to push different upgrades on you.

Upgrades will snow ball in to a $2000 flying brick.

I plan on flying it just as it is!

It's all done, just need to dial in the radio and I'm set.

Thanks..
Jun 27, 2017, 06:39 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Funny I've seen a lot of really nice flying ~8lbs 2000watt+ Habu "flying bricks", including my own.

Landing speed is a bit higher (only really noticeable in near dead calm conditions), but imo that's all part of the challenge and fun in flying a proper jet. If i want to float around at 20mph I have planes for that to

In the end, it comes down to what performance you're looking to get out of it, some flyers are happy on the stock setup and may only take their's out a few times in a season, some want higher performance or are looking for an upgrade.
Jun 29, 2017, 12:07 AM
Suspended Account
Last edited by Comrade_D; Jul 25, 2020 at 01:29 PM.
Jun 29, 2017, 01:36 AM
Speaking of weight, I'm still debating going with the Talon 90 bec or having 2x LiFe 700 mAh for the Rx. That would be an 83g additional weight. Everything else is stock. Is it worth it ?
Jun 29, 2017, 09:07 AM
Quote:
I treat my RC airplanes the same I treat aircraft at work. And there is nothing funny about flying an overweight jet.

Excessive weight reduces the flight performance in almost every respect. For example, the most important performance deficiencies of an overloaded aircraft are:

• Higher takeoff speed
• Longer takeoff run
• Reduced rate and angle of climb
• Lower maximum altitude
• Shorter range
• Reduced cruising speed
• Reduced maneuverability
• Higher stalling speed
• Higher approach and landing speed
• Longer landing roll
• Excessive weight on the nose wheel or tail wheel

I have to say your "list" is pretty innaccurate... let's look at these.

You aren't just "adding weight" with upgrades, you are adding power too... you are only thinking of the negatives in the vacuum and not the positives.

Quote:
• Higher takeoff speed
• Longer takeoff run
Does a jet with more power take longer to rotate? I would say no, you have higher acceleration... depending on the setup there would be no difference in time spent on the runway.

Quote:
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with a planes weight. This is only a planes thrust to weight ratio. If you add weight, but have more thrust to offset that, you will have INCREASED rate and angle of climb with a heavier plane.

Quote:
• Lower maximum altitude
This doesn't matter.. at all... Why would you even waste your time typing this? you aren't flying a R/C airplane at 30,000 feet.

Quote:
• Shorter range
This is just flat out incorrect. If you change your pack from a 3300 to a 5000, what do you gain? Weight, and flight time. Flight time = range.

Quote:
• Reduced cruising speed
No.. if you are adding more power your plane will be faster.

Quote:
This is not entirely true. You lose maneuverability in some envelopes, and gain it in others. If you end up increasing your T:W ratio, you gain vertical maneuverability, don't you?

Quote:
• Higher stalling speed
You also gain faster stall recovery speed from increased T:W ratio.

Quote:
That's why one of the upgrades is Tamjets Struts, so it can handle the weight.
Jun 29, 2017, 12:27 PM
Quote:
I treat my RC airplanes the same I treat aircraft at work. And there is nothing funny about flying an overweight jet.

Excessive weight reduces the flight performance in almost every respect. For example, the most important performance deficiencies of an overloaded aircraft are:

• Higher takeoff speed
• Longer takeoff run
• Lower maximum altitude
• Shorter range
• Reduced cruising speed
• Higher stalling speed
• Higher approach and landing speed
• Longer landing roll
I started building and flying full-size aircraft first, getting into RC much later. I have applied the full-size disciplines to the building and flying of the models with predictable results. Anecdotally, when only your wallet is at stake, you see and do things differently. I've been a member of the Experimental Aircraft Association far longer than the Academy of Model Aeronautics and have noticed recently that these organizations have been collaborating regarding safety issues. I believe that is good for everyone.

Quick Reply