This thread is privately moderated by earlwb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 17, 2014, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter

I have never ever thought that I would actually get a deluxe premium kit for any RC helicopter before. Normally I always got something like this piecemeal, where I buy the basic kit, then later the servos, then the motor, ESC and so on. But never everything in one fell swoop. So this is a first. But the opportunity presented itself for me. So I got my early birthday and Christmas present all wrapped up into one. I bought a Gaui X5 Premium kit. It comes with everything, blades, motor, pinion gear too, 100a Gaui ESC, Gaui servos, and a Gaui mini V-Bar as well.

Anyway some assembly is still required. But it is something I am looking forward too.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2014, 08:02 AM
3D Junkie
That will be very fun! Wish I had the money...
Oct 06, 2014, 04:34 PM
Thread OP
Thanks I can't wait to get it put together and out to the flying field.
Nov 11, 2014, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
Well, since it was my birthday Friday. I decided to put together my Gaui X5. I had gotten it as sort of a birthday and Xmas present combined. I got it all assembled and ready for the ESC and FBL controller and setting it up.

Unfortunately, Monday I went to the dentist for a teeth cleaning cleaning and found I had a infected tooth that couldn't be saved. So the dentist had to remove it. But what made it unfortunately, was she had to use those fancy torture tools of the trade and break it up to remove it. She stated that the tooth was sort of like bonded to the bone tightly, more like concrete glued to concrete. So it was a major deal to dig it out. Using the drills, grinders and that pneumatic hammer chisel like thing too. Anyway that sort of ruined it for completing the helicopter this week. So I will mess with it this weekend again.

But it is looking great though. I like the tail rotor setup with the pitch slide mechanism they used on it. They should have used it on the G3 too. it is pretty big still about twice the size of the Gaui X3.
Nov 12, 2014, 05:26 PM
3D Junkie
Outstanding! Sorry about your tooth.
Nov 15, 2014, 09:22 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, I hope to get better soon. It was a lot more worse than I thought it was going to be.
Nov 29, 2014, 10:58 PM
Thread OP
Well, I spent most of the afternoon and evening trying to figure out how to get the Gaui mini V bar to bind to my TX using Spektrum satellite receivers. it was driving me crazy. Then after looking on the internet to see what others were doing, it dawned on me what my problem was. I had upgraded my Gaui X3's mini V bar to Mikados's Pro firmware and software. So the newer version software wouldn't work with the regular mini V bar then. So I checked on that and found that I needed to upgrade the mini V Bar firmware to the Pro version too. I registered the unit and bought the upgrade for it. So now it can be bound to the TX Ok.

The problem would manifest itself, when you go to set how the controller works with receivers. I wanted to use a couple of Spektrum DSMX satellite receivers plugged into the Gaui mini V Bar unit. But the "bind" button would show up for a second and go away. So you couldn't get it to stick around long enough to do anything. I tried a different set of satellite receivers and even the other TX too. it didn't work.

I suppose it might have worked with the more simple Express default free software and firmware. But I had already upgraded to the Pro software ( and firmware on the other X3's mini V Bar). So I didn't try that possibility out though.

Of course now I need to study my TX more as the pitch channel seems to be about 37 clicks off of center, if you use the servo trim center settings. That seems odd so I need to study that and see what is happening or what I need to do.

I have a Spektrum DX 18 QQ I am setting up for the Gaui X5. I have a regular Spektrum DX 18 that has the two Gaui X3's on it. I thought I ought to spread it out more. Plus I can look at what I did on the DX 18 for the X3's to help setup the X5 too. They can be both side by side then.

I am going to use a Turnigy 2100 mah two cell Life battery pack to power the radio system. I don't think that the 4 amp BEC on the ESC can handle the current needs for the four Gaui servos. Gaui did put in some really nice servos as they are brushless motor high voltage servos. So I think that running a separate battery pack for it is the way to go. I mounted the battery pack under the frame on the bottom. I put some velcro down as a pad and velcro on the battery pack. Plus I use a velcro strap to help ensure it doesn't come loose and fall off too.
Last edited by earlwb; Nov 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add more info
Dec 03, 2014, 02:40 PM
3D Junkie
I dont know how to help you with the binding! Best of luck!
Dec 03, 2014, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
Yeah it was a puzzler. But as mentioned in the post above, I needed to upgrade the firmware in the mini V Bar to the Pro version. Since I had upgraded my X3 to Pro last year, the new mini V Bar for the X5 wouldn't work with PC software as it was the Pro version. I needed to upgrade it.

Now if you stuck to just using the free express software version for the PC and controller, then there would not be a problem.
Last edited by earlwb; Dec 03, 2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: add more info
Jan 20, 2015, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
I got the heli all set and ready to go. But over the Xmas vacation I wound up getting a bad case of the flu. I am only now getting my energy back so I can get out and have a go at flying it. So it is real soon now, depending on the weather of course. I hate it when it is near freezing with a 20-25mph wind no less. Worse is at our flying field when the wind is out of the north, then you wind up with the wind blowing in your face and the heli's tend to fly towards you more then. That still tends to be a bit disconcerting with me still. Especially since the larger heli's are like flying lawnmowers with rotating Samurai swords in front of you.
Jan 20, 2015, 09:46 PM
3D Junkie
Be careful! I would wait until some calmer weather comes. Usually right before during or after it snows is the best time. Best of luck!
May 26, 2015, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Amazingly enough, our weather has been bad all this time. There were a few times I could have flown if I didn't have to work. So unfortunately, I still haven't been able to go out and maiden it. Just this last holiday we had epic rains and it was quite windy too. Now if I had been brave, I could have waited for the first wave of thunderstorms to pass on Sunday, then it was calm for a couple of hours before the next storm front approached. But with the lightning all about I wasn't all that interested in trying. Nothing like standing in a open field with lightning going on around you.
Jun 21, 2015, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
So funny, now all of the lakes are flooded and overflowing. Our club field is flooded and closed due to it being at the lake inside of the park area. They closed the parks and the lakes of course. Just when you think you might have a chance to spend the day and drive 50 miles out to another club flying field, we get more thunderstorms, rain and wind too. Sheesh.
Jun 22, 2015, 08:57 AM
3D Junkie
Wow! You aren't having any luck at all!

Quick Reply