Question about Carbon Fiber Rods (Soarstar Landing gear) - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 01, 2002, 11:50 PM

Question about Carbon Fiber Rods (Soarstar Landing gear)

I have not had any experience with carbon fiber rods.
Are they really hard to bend? My soarstars landing gear rod is always bending, would be nice to replace it with something that is stronger.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2002, 01:43 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Hi joemi.

CF rod won't bend and hold a set, but it will snap when it gets to a rigid mounting if you "land" hard enough.

I'm using 0.08" dia. and 3 1/2" length on my Tiger Moth. It snapped off once, but that was more of a crash than a landing. Seems to have just about the right spring for normal landings.

RB
Jan 02, 2002, 08:19 AM
Crash Master
After snapping 2 sets of CF LG on my Hissy-Fit, just landing in grass and having the gear snag, I went back to piano wire, and like it better, due to the forgiving nature. Sure it might bend or flex, but that's better than snapping....

my $.02
Mar 07, 2002, 05:58 AM
My landing gear never bended or snaped even when i did a full throttle crash cause i was trying to do inverted flight.
Only the whole fusalage came apart a bit of the wing but im flying again wit my handy 5 min epoxy
Mar 07, 2002, 09:09 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
That's a good way to save your landing gear.
I'll keep it in mind.

RB
Mar 07, 2002, 11:31 AM
I use 0.08" CF rod landing gear on my Tiny. No problems so far, but I haven't really stressed them.

genebond, do you remember what size rods you were using?
May 09, 2002, 02:16 PM
soft yummy goodness.
I replaced the stock wire axle on my Soarstar with same diameter CF rod. One side snapped at the junction to the wood block on the 4th landing. Landing was a touch on the hard side, but not excessively so, IMO.

I've since gone back to the original stock wire axle. As genebond said, better to bend than break.

I'm considering moving up to a thicker diameter CF rod eventually, but to do that, I'd have to:
1) route a wider groove in the wood block axle mount
2) ream out or replace the wheels
3) buy new wheel collars
4) replace the spacer tubes
5) ream out or replace rubber grommets for wing struts & floats

Worth it? We'll see....

Anyone know where to get replacement rubber grommets? I just know I'm gonna lose a few of 'em.

-chris