Phoenix Arizona ALES/F3K/F5J/TD Events - Page 3 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by RotorCycle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 01, 2014, 12:54 AM
I vote for F5J and to continue providing leeway for use of CAMs until F5J catches on more.

-Randy
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2014, 12:13 PM
Overkill is underrated
I vote for F5J in December. And I'll go out on a limb and suggest that going forward, flying F5J instead of anymore ALES as long as we continue to allow the use of CAM units.
And I think Charlie has it right allowing CAM units locally or until our contests take on a level of significance that we should fly 100% the F5J rules.

-Ed
Last edited by elac2az; Dec 01, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Dec 01, 2014, 12:19 PM
Where is the lift?
I see no reason not to allow the cam units in our monthly F5J contests. Only when we get above regional size contests and world team selects should we follow the rules to the letter. Just my humble opinion.

Charlie
Dec 01, 2014, 12:54 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
I agree with allowing CAM units until official protests start to come in. For now we will allow CAM units in local F5J events.

Something to remember: on average the Altis log files are showing max launch altitudes 10-15 meters higher than motor cutoff, and at times up to 25-meters. Much of this is energy (think ping) from using the high speed right at motor cutoff to gain altitude. The Altis anti-zoom algorithm captures this increase after motor cutoff.

If an official protest comes in regarding a CAM, adding 15-meters to the hard cutoff altitude will be my first resort to satisfy the protest. I don't see us disallowing CAMs anytime in the near future. We want to grow F5J participation, and it's obvious everyone likes the added dimension of F5J strategy.
Dec 01, 2014, 01:10 PM
Overkill is underrated
Sound thinking, Lee. Quick question, any value in expanding the flight cards to allow a place for pilots to record what device (Altus-CAM) they are using? Maybe such information over time would be useful...

-Ed
Dec 01, 2014, 01:33 PM
It's actually obvious on top of already knowing which people have CAM controllers. You'll see a 150, 150, 150, 150, 150 launch height recorded for CAM users. Sometimes the CAM users will lower the height to 100 for the last three rounds. It's nearly impossible to cut off even twice at exactly the same height with an Altis.
Dec 01, 2014, 01:36 PM
We could apply a rule that, once a competitor reaches a particular percentile of total points in a competition, we are sending them to the store to buy their Altis before the next F5J competition. That should reduce disputes given the zoom could definitely be abused with the CAM.
Last edited by Westranm; Dec 01, 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Dec 01, 2014, 02:08 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
I vote for F5J!

Thanks again to all in attendance. Saturday was a special day for Junior and I. Thanks to Larry for the kind words. Thanks to Mr Roseberry for the over the top donation to Junior. He's very happy to have the chance to step up from the Radian. He smiled all the way home about the day and how he flew.

Looking forward to the next one!

Steve W.
Dec 01, 2014, 03:05 PM
SHADYBOY
Watching Steve and Junior is the best part of the contest for me. It brings back wonderful memories of my father and I.
Dec 01, 2014, 03:08 PM
I like Lees idea regarding the added pecentage to scores of flyers using CAMS.. I will have the Altis working by the next time I am in Phoenix. LJ
Dec 01, 2014, 04:01 PM
I'm now liking the idea of 15 meter (or some other reasonable number) assumed zoom for CAMs, as part of policy rather than waiting for disputes. Wave that penalty for foamies on CAMs to encourage newcomers to sailplane competitions.
Dec 01, 2014, 04:35 PM
Official Protest

I like the idea to add some extra height to the CAM cut-off height

I know zooms and they can be big

Philip
F5J Fan
Dec 01, 2014, 04:41 PM
This seems so unexpected - Philip to protest. I'm beside myself.....NOT

But there will be some fun changes for the December event.
Dec 01, 2014, 07:03 PM
I'll download my flight info from the Altis

my Thermal Dancer has a good turn of speed and I try not to zoom ..... and I'll see what height gain is

Philip
Dec 01, 2014, 07:52 PM
More will be announced later, but the Dec-20th event will be F5J. Instead of an entry fee, bring one unwrapped toy. NOTE to a few out there - NO adult toys

We'll have a few "special" rules to mix things up and inject some fun. One round which will be randomly picked, must be flown using a 2.5-meter or under plane. Radians highly encouraged. If you don't have a Radian or small sailplane, no worries. The big planes will have a small penalty applied that evens the field. The penalty will equal to the number of seconds the big plane out flew the longest flying foamie/2.5 meter. Might be zero seconds, might be allot (more F5J tactics)

We will allow relaunches for this event. If you go for the hero or zero 50-meter launch and don't end up climbing out, re-lite and go high(er).

Eggnog, water and sodas onsite.

Quick Reply