Phoenix Arizona ALES/F3K/F5J/TD Events - Page 2 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by RotorCycle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 20, 2014, 02:31 PM

Great time at the contest

Thanks to Lee and everyone who worked hard to put the contest on last Saturday. I really enjoyed the whole contest (except my dork landing that will require a little repair work this week).

Thanks to Larry Jolly for making the long drive from and back to California all in one day just to fly in our contest. Looking forward to having you back Larry.

Lee, there is a new version of Gliderscore out this week that has the option of announcing pilot names twice instead of once. I plan to check it out this week and use it at our PVSF ALES contest next Saturday (Oct 25th).

That contest finished my ESAP level 2, mailing it in today and anxious to get started on my Level 3. I believe that the contest last Saturday also finished Larry Jolly up on his Level 3 ESAP, congrats to you Larry, you are moving up fast! Are you aiming for ESAP level 5 number one Larry?

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you up here in PV next Saturday. Right now, weather is forcast to be good, winds mild, temperature in the mid 70's, should be nice. More details on the contest in another post later today.

Dan Vester
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2014, 03:10 PM

Oct 25th ALES Contest in Prescott Valley

PVSF will be hosting an ALES contest on Oct 25th

Location: Our flying site on the Football field at Bradshaw Mountain High School East Campus (our normal site). Visit if you need directions.

I checked with the school admin a few minutes ago and confirmed that the football field will be available to us.

Pilots meeting at 10 am, first flight 5 minutes after the end of the pilots meeting.

Entry fee $5

Dan will have Hot Dogs and Sodas as usual, $2 for 2 hot dogs and a soda.

Set your CAM units for a 150 meter launch.

We will try to fly 7 rounds, time and weather permitting. 1 dropped round if we fly 6 or more rounds.

All pilots, regardless of skill level, are invited to come fly with us.

Please reply to this thread to let me know who is coming, so I can get the scoring program set up in advance as much as possible. Last minute walk-ons will be accommodated, but if as many of you as possible can let me know in advance, it helps reduce the confusion factor just prior to the contest.

Any questions, post here.

Dan Vester,
Contest Director
Nov 02, 2014, 10:06 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
Jan-10th 2015 F3K at Elliot bowl.

Active thread:
Nov 15, 2014, 05:18 PM
Nov-15th Elliot Bowl ALES Results

Great contest guys. Good flying, good temps, good food, and good company

1 Armstrong, John 4180
2 Morris, Charlie 4175
3 Willcox, Steve 4173.3
4 West, Randy 4159.9
5 Vester, Dan 4158.3
6 Wolfe, Lee 4108.2
7 Willcox, Jr 4106.7
8 LaCroix, Ed 4105.6
9 Roseberry, Mike 3998
10 Juntunen, Brad 3970
11 Todd, Scott 3799.6
12 Poehls, Vern 3784.3
13 Bunger, Jerry 3689.2
14 Irwin, John 3047.7
15 Rollo, Ford 2247.6
Nov 22, 2014, 09:44 PM
Contest Results PVSF Nov 22. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. We had 6 flyers show up for our beginners F3J contest with special Rick rules. It seems that all six of us enjoyed the format and we all learned more about F3J. We flew 7 rounds. Results are: Roy 734 points, Dave M 1275, Dave B 1717 , Iain and Rick both with 1993 points with Rick winning the flyoff tiebreaker, and first place went to Dan V with 2085 points. Good job Dan. We had one crash with no damage believe it or not. One broken clevis with no damage. A couple broken retriever lines. All in all, a very good contest. With the profits I'm going to buy that new Pike Precision I've been wanting. I might add that Roy flew a couple nice smooth flights by himself. Good improvement Roy. Dave M flew his newly acquired Topaz well. Dave B just couldn't get his plane down on time and earned two major penalties for flying past the window. It's tough having to force your plane down in a TD contest. Dan was Mr. Consistency with six flights right around 4:44 with only one bad flight. Five out of seven good landings. Dave B and I had the best flight with a 4:54 meaning only a 6 second tow on a TD winch. Good job Dave and me. Thanks Iain for driving up for our contest. Later, Rick B
Last edited by rbothell; Nov 22, 2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: adding more info
Nov 24, 2014, 08:08 PM
Elliot Bowl F5J event Saturday Nov-29th

$5.00 entry fee with a 09:00 AM pilot's meeting. We'll fly 6-rounds using F5J rules. CAM users can use their cut-off altitude to record launch height.

Temps will start at 60-degrees during the pilot's meeting with a high of 78-degrees. Winds are forecasted to be under 5mph.

CASL calendar announcement:
Nov 29, 2014, 08:22 PM
Overkill is underrated
No results up yet I see (I'm sure Lee will post them soon) but the contest today was terrific! Larry Jolly again graced our field of 15 pilots. The air kept everyone on their toes. With the cooler temps, the inversion is on and the thermals had a hard time generating much energy. The F5J format is a lot of fun and if you fly ALES you really owe it to yourself to try it.
What with John's awesome dogs during lunch break and perfect temps, it just doesn't get much better.

Nov 29, 2014, 08:27 PM
Elliot Bowl 29-Nov-2014 F5J Results

Today we wrapped up our 4th F5J event, and the pilots are definitely getting a handle on "J" tactics and raising the bar each time. Randy elevated his game and captured the best overall landing score. Due to low voltage battery cut-offs in 2-rounds, I had the lowest (unintentional) launch height at 63-meters. The highest launch height today was 202-meters.

We had a number of off field landings for 0 round scores, and Mike R had to withdraw early with a stripped flap servo. Larry and Charlie had a day long epic battle for first, and Steve W was right in there the whole day. Strong showing Randy W!

Thanks to Larry for the long drive from California to join us, and to Philip for his Patagonia trek. Thank you John A for the top notch dawgs. All in all a great day.

Overall scores and reports posted below.
Last edited by RotorCycle; Nov 30, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Nov 29, 2014, 09:09 PM
That was really fun. F5J rules!

Thanks, Lee, for a smooth-running contest and posting all the stats.

Nov 29, 2014, 10:39 PM
Where is the lift?
Congratulations to Larry, Steve, Randy and the rest of the guys! Myra and I were commenting on how much everyone has improved over the year and it shows.

Thank you Lee and John for putting this contest on, it was another terrific one!

We can't wait to get together with everyone and do it again.

Charlie and Myra
Nov 30, 2014, 10:17 AM
thanks to Lee for running the whole show, and John for the many dogs for lunch and Jimmy Buffet for the entertainment

I found it a difficult day to predict lift, need lessons from Larry obviously

another great Mesa F5J flying day

when's the next one ??

F5J fan
Last edited by pocket rocket; Nov 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: ??
Nov 30, 2014, 07:24 PM
For all my friends that fly at Elliot Bowl, I want to thank you for the great time we have had flying F5J Saturday. Bear and I got home safe and had a wonderful day of flying with you guys. Many thanks to Lee, for all his work organizing and running the contest, and to Dan and Charlie for sharing timing duties for me. Special Congratulations to Junior who is a very skilled young man. On his last flight he brought his Radian home for points from a very long ways down wind. I believe he has what it takes to mature in to one of the best. Many thanks to John who always puts a smile on my face.. There is no doubt the groundwork you are founding will one day lead to the US sending a strong team to the first F5J World Champs..
It is a privilege to share sky with you all.. Larry
Nov 30, 2014, 10:08 PM
Where is the lift?
Thank you Larry, it's great to have you sharing the fun with us!

I also vote for F5J in December.

Nov 30, 2014, 10:23 PM

F5J tourist

Thanks guys for sharing with me. I learned a lot. Next time I will bring a bird and join in.
Nov 30, 2014, 10:24 PM
Where is the lift?
That's Awesome Wayne, it was great to see you!

Quick Reply