This thread is privately moderated by RotorCycle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 14, 2015, 02:50 AM
Overkill is underrated
Reply here to be placed on pilot's list.

Pilots List
Randy West
Lee Wolfe
Iain Glithero
Sir Charles Martin - Team Bix
Philip Brister
Jerry Bunger
Ed LaCroix
Dan Vester
Vern Poehls
Darwin Barrie

Say WHAAAAT?! Charles has been knighted?
Last edited by elac2az; Apr 14, 2015 at 10:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2015, 11:01 PM
To the keeper of the scores. Is it possible there is a slight mistake in the scoring program? Please look at ALES 4/11/2015 Round 1 Flight group 1. Task was a 6:00 round. Dan V came in at 6:01 with a 35 landing for 396 points. Randy W came in at 6:00 and a 35 landing for 395 points. It looks like 1 second over was a better score than a perfect 6:00. Am I wrong? Rick B
Last edited by rbothell; Apr 14, 2015 at 11:21 PM.
Apr 14, 2015, 11:59 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbothell
To the keeper of the scores. Is it possible there is a slight mistake in the scoring program? Please look at ALES 4/11/2015 Round 1 Flight group 1. Task was a 6:00 round. Dan V came in at 6:01 with a 35 landing for 396 points. Randy W came in at 6:00 and a 35 landing for 395 points. It looks like 1 second over was a better score than a perfect 6:00. Am I wrong? Rick B
Rick - good for noticing that. No, not exactly an error but an oversight. When entering scores the target time was not changed from 600 seconds to 360 seconds (6-min window). That actually would have been fine, but scores of 6:00, 6:01, 6:02, and 6:03 were entered. Since the target score was still 600 seconds, 6:03 while over was the score that received a 1000. I redid all the reports but did not post since there where no changes in overall position. What changed is a few pilots lost 1-2 points that round, and one pilot gained 1-point. In round two only one pilot in each group went over the window, so the change was even smaller.

Later tonight I'll update the reports for those who like to analyze, but there were no changes in position.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:21 AM
flight tested my F3J conversion to F5J on Tuesday evening

Spike the Pike+ , an oldie but hopefully a goody

more fun than a Radian anyway

see you there

Philip
F5J Fan
Apr 18, 2015, 06:26 PM
18-Apr-2015 Elliot Bowl F5J Results

We had a few noteworthy 'incidents' during the contest. The first was a full-on cockpit fire when Philip's Pike smoked the speed controller right after motor cut-off. He came screaming down for a fast emergency landing with a Blue Angels smoke trail, and was able to save the plane. The speed controller and Altis was lost due to a "rapid thermal event"

We did have one landing tape grommet ripped out after it looked like someone attempted a deep sea (Supra) tuna net capture. Guys on air craft carriers would have been proud.

This contest was definitely decided by F5J launch height deductions. In most rounds it took sub 100-meter launches to win since so many planes made the window, and in a few rounds 50-70 meter launches won it.

1 Armstrong, John 5000
2 LaCroix, Ed 4904.6
3 Wolfe, Lee 4834.6
4 Barrie, Darwin 4537.2
5 Todd, Scott 4524.9
6 Glithero, Iain 4490
7 Vester, Dan 4221.3
8 Velleman, Jim 3366.5
9 Poehls, Vern 3149.7
10 Martin, Charles 2869.2
11 Bunger, Jerry 2614.9
12 Brister, Philip 2161.7

Thanks to everyone who came out and flew, timed, and helped with setup and tear-down.
Apr 18, 2015, 06:46 PM
We had (3) pilots who had "---.--" Altis F5J altitude displays when they landed. We were able to diagnose the problem with two of the setups, and the recommended settings are posted below.

One unit had the log file full and no launch height data could be recorded or displayed. The log file should over-write, but occasionally zero your log files. We did have an issue with a unit that would not deallocate and return all log memory. This unit had to be re-initialized, and the free space was returned.

Also be sure to turn on "Emergency Restart" and NOT "Competition Restart". Once you configure the Altis using the settings below, you can test at home. Initialized the Altis, hold the fuse out and power up for a few seconds, then power off. I usually hold the motor up high in the air, and after 30-seconds set it down and observe the screen. You should see an F5J altitude of 3-4 meters.

Enable the following settings in the "Competition" tab:

> F5J FAI enabled. This turns on the F5J max height display. Not checking this will result in a "---.-" meter display.

> Time switch enabled - set to 30-seconds.

> Emergency Motor ON - ENABLED! Or else you cannot power up to save plane.

> Altitude switch - recommend enabling this to 150, or the highest you would ever launch for the day's conditions. You can leave this blank and cut when you feel comfortable, but having an upper limit takes away the guess work. Cutting at 150-meters subtracts 75-points. Cutting at 201-meters subtracts 103-points, so even a 10-minute flight is only capable of 897-points plus landing.

Screen tab:

> Select F5J Number screen. This will display F5J height full screen making it easy to read. When each pilot lands, their timer must record the F5J height.

> Setting Screen Duration 5-seconds (or so). This displays your settings for 5-seconds after power-up so you can verify your motor run time, launch height setting, and if emergency restart is on. Important stuff.
Apr 18, 2015, 07:38 PM
Way to go John
Congrats to Ed second place!
Consistently good Lee!

Thanks for help with Supra
See you

Scott
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
Lee, how do you get a 0 height penalty in round 3?

Did you not fly the round?

Iain
Apr 19, 2015, 01:17 AM
Right - I was assisting someone and missed my flight. My fault for multi-tasking unsuccessfully. I took a zero for that round.
Apr 19, 2015, 02:38 AM
Sounds like I missed a good one. Congrats to tailhook Armstrong for a job well done. Lee thanks for the tips on the Altis, important stuff to file away. I am in Istanbul this a.m...They conviced me that even if I left at 11:30 instead of Midnight I could not drive 7000 miles and back in one day.. Go figure.. Looking forward to sharing sky soon..LJ
Apr 20, 2015, 09:51 PM
Wonderful flying weather yesterday if only I had enough planes to fly all 6 rounds !!

if you have ever wondered about the worth of a separate Rx battery then I can offer an opinion

flying my newly converted Pike+, the motor was shut off at the selected altitude and thermal turns started when I noticed the circle of smoke in the air.........

the ESC had failed for some reason but because I had a separate Rx battery I could dive the plane under full control, land it , and pull out the hot smoking ESC , battery and wiring (solder joints had melted on the motor/ESC/battery wiring)

with a BEC and no Rx battery it would have piled in and destroyed itself more than likely

plane smelled awful all day and I was glad to put it in the trailer for the trip home

wish I had the video of my "smoke on" Red Arrows demo !!!!!!

back to the Radian ??
Philip
Apr 21, 2015, 03:28 AM
A new Altis Flight Manager version and firmware version was released today.

Flight Manager v4.0.0 adds the following:
- Support for Altis v4+ device
- Support for Altis GPS device
- Added ability to format device memory
- Added ability to reset device flight counter
- Added map view
- Added automated installation of newer versions of Altis Flight Manager
- Minor bug fixes

Firmware v2.0 adds the following:
- Support for Altis v4+
- Jeti telemetry bug fixes
- Frsky telemetry support
- Futaba telemetry support
- Ability to erase memory from keypad
- New competition settings
- Bug fixes

After installing FM v4.0.0 and upgrading the Altis firmware to v2.0, the 30-second timer switch and F5J altitude capture no longer functioned. I had to enable the following two new settings to fix this issue:

Throttle Start on Competition screen must be enabled
Throttle Switch on Competition screen must be enabled

These settings are undocumented. Hopefully an updated manual will released soon and cover the new competition settings.

All other settings can remain the same.
Apr 21, 2015, 04:22 PM
There's only two tabs you need to worry about, so this makes it easier.
Apr 21, 2015, 09:57 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
i have the new firmware in mine since it was a beta test so it would comunicate with the jeti reciever it works great john
Apr 26, 2015, 01:01 AM
Any foamie or anything 2-meters or less gets 150-meters. Any woodie gets 150-meters. Everything else..... 50 (or maybe we'll loosen up and grant 100-meters by Saturday???)

Quick Reply