This thread is privately moderated by RotorCycle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:37 AM
Thermals the path to elevation
Thread OP
Contest

Arizona SWSS F3K/F3RES/F5J/F5K/Scale Events

The purpose of this thread is to list ongoing weekly F3K, F3RES, F5J, F5K and Scale events at Elliot Bowl and SWSS including contest details, start times, and pilot rosters.

Current SWSS Soaring Calendar:
https://swsoaring.net/content.aspx?p...77271[/url

SWSS Google Groups:
https://groups.google.com/g/evefphx

SWSS Home Page:
https://swsoaring.net

USA F5J Contests and Information
http://www.f5j-usa.com/
Last edited by RotorCycle; Aug 28, 2022 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Updated contest dates
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2014, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Larry,

Here's the Google Map coordinates:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/33...s0x0:0x0?hl=en

Once on the Phoenix 202, exit on Elliot and go down about 1.2 miles. You'll see two large green basins, and it's the east basin with the parking lot.
Oct 16, 2014, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=RotorCycle;29662181]Elliot Bowl F5J Oct 18th

. Late landings receive 0 landing points.
[

should it be minus 30 points for a late landing ??

looks like a great set of pilots for this week

Philip
Oct 16, 2014, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
We have what is called a working time just like F3J. It starts at the launch buzzer and runs 10-mins with an audible countdown. The plane must be on the ground before the countdown reaches zero which signals the working time is over. If the plane is late landing, the flight duration counts but there are no landing points.

If the plane is over 1-min late then there are NO duration points or landing points.

So the pilot needs to listen to the loud speaker countdown so he can maximize the flight time and land before or at the buzzer. The time keeper must stop the clock when the plane touches OR the countdown signals zero (end of working time).
Oct 18, 2014, 09:05 PM
Great contest today lads, F5J is the way to do it

congrats to Larry

do I get a special award because I had the lowest and the highest launch height ???

see you for the next one

Philip
Oct 19, 2014, 12:23 AM
Where is the lift?
Thank You Lee, John and Dan! Congratulations Larry, Steve and Scott you guys flew awesomely!

Great weather for the contest. Some heats were gimmes, some were not.

If anyone from the valley is going to Prescott next weekend can you take a glider up there for Dan Vester? If so please let me know. Thank you,

Charlie
Oct 19, 2014, 07:57 AM
Bear and I got back with No issues.. I want to thank all my friends for making yesterday such a great time. You guys have really opened my eyes to F5J, this is a very fun event and certainly has merit a a World Class. I am thankful for the ability to learn and compete with my buds as we become competent in this new quest. Many, many thanks for a friendly, well run contest.Special kudos to Philip for the handsome commerative glass. Elliot bowl is certainly an interesting site with periods of sporting air. The flying was almost as much fun as jawing in the pits.. Thank you to all, and I look forward to sharing some Arizona sky with you again soon. LJ and Bear
Oct 19, 2014, 01:09 PM
Interesting how we all tactically fly the motor portion of the flight

Charlie - out front fast and low

Steve - safe turn downwind

myself - a watch-out I'm fast and turning, get out of my way !!!

Larry - flies whichever way straight into lift

got to love F5J with the launch height decision coming in to play as a huge tactical decision

let's have the next one

Philip
Oct 19, 2014, 01:11 PM
Thought for the next contest

if we get a situation where no times are recorded - we should look at the Altis file on the computer - it has launch height and flight time - just have to remeber the landing score

just downloading my data from yesterday made me think of that

Philip
Oct 19, 2014, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
Good idea ^

There's always a laptop there with the Altis software and a cable.
Oct 20, 2014, 02:31 PM

Great time at the contest

Thanks to Lee and everyone who worked hard to put the contest on last Saturday. I really enjoyed the whole contest (except my dork landing that will require a little repair work this week).

Thanks to Larry Jolly for making the long drive from and back to California all in one day just to fly in our contest. Looking forward to having you back Larry.

Lee, there is a new version of Gliderscore out this week that has the option of announcing pilot names twice instead of once. I plan to check it out this week and use it at our PVSF ALES contest next Saturday (Oct 25th).

That contest finished my ESAP level 2, mailing it in today and anxious to get started on my Level 3. I believe that the contest last Saturday also finished Larry Jolly up on his Level 3 ESAP, congrats to you Larry, you are moving up fast! Are you aiming for ESAP level 5 number one Larry?

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you up here in PV next Saturday. Right now, weather is forcast to be good, winds mild, temperature in the mid 70's, should be nice. More details on the contest in another post later today.

Dan Vester
Oct 20, 2014, 03:10 PM

Oct 25th ALES Contest in Prescott Valley

PVSF will be hosting an ALES contest on Oct 25th

Location: Our flying site on the Football field at Bradshaw Mountain High School East Campus (our normal site). Visit pvsilentflyers.com if you need directions.

I checked with the school admin a few minutes ago and confirmed that the football field will be available to us.

Pilots meeting at 10 am, first flight 5 minutes after the end of the pilots meeting.

Entry fee $5

Dan will have Hot Dogs and Sodas as usual, $2 for 2 hot dogs and a soda.

Set your CAM units for a 150 meter launch.

We will try to fly 7 rounds, time and weather permitting. 1 dropped round if we fly 6 or more rounds.

All pilots, regardless of skill level, are invited to come fly with us.

Please reply to this thread to let me know who is coming, so I can get the scoring program set up in advance as much as possible. Last minute walk-ons will be accommodated, but if as many of you as possible can let me know in advance, it helps reduce the confusion factor just prior to the contest.

Any questions, post here.

Dan Vester,
Contest Director
Nov 02, 2014, 11:06 PM
Thread OP
Jan-10th 2015 F3K at Elliot bowl.

Active thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2277352
Nov 22, 2014, 10:44 PM
Contest Results PVSF Nov 22. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. We had 6 flyers show up for our beginners F3J contest with special Rick rules. It seems that all six of us enjoyed the format and we all learned more about F3J. We flew 7 rounds. Results are: Roy 734 points, Dave M 1275, Dave B 1717 , Iain and Rick both with 1993 points with Rick winning the flyoff tiebreaker, and first place went to Dan V with 2085 points. Good job Dan. We had one crash with no damage believe it or not. One broken clevis with no damage. A couple broken retriever lines. All in all, a very good contest. With the profits I'm going to buy that new Pike Precision I've been wanting. I might add that Roy flew a couple nice smooth flights by himself. Good improvement Roy. Dave M flew his newly acquired Topaz well. Dave B just couldn't get his plane down on time and earned two major penalties for flying past the window. It's tough having to force your plane down in a TD contest. Dan was Mr. Consistency with six flights right around 4:44 with only one bad flight. Five out of seven good landings. Dave B and I had the best flight with a 4:54 meaning only a 6 second tow on a TD winch. Good job Dave and me. Thanks Iain for driving up for our contest. Later, Rick B
Last edited by rbothell; Nov 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: adding more info
Nov 24, 2014, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Elliot Bowl F5J event Saturday Nov-29th

$5.00 entry fee with a 09:00 AM pilot's meeting. We'll fly 6-rounds using F5J rules. CAM users can use their cut-off altitude to record launch height.

Temps will start at 60-degrees during the pilot's meeting with a high of 78-degrees. Winds are forecasted to be under 5mph.

Forecast:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=7&AheadDay=96

CASL calendar announcement:
https://www.google.com/calendar/embe...merica/Phoenix

Quick Reply