This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 16, 2014, 08:14 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Discussion

My Take on a Ground Station

I live in a heavily forested area so I need to travel a ways to get to a flying field. After reading the threads on ground stations on various forums here is my idea. I used a rolling tool cart. It has 7" wheels so it will roll on uneven ground. It has a folding pull-handle like travel airline baggage. It is modular and you can disconnect the top tool box from the base and use it separately.

I am an APM/Mission Planner user and will always have my computer with me.
In the lid I put my computer monitor and next to it a second monitor for dual-computer displays. This way I can undock the mission planner windows and put the Heads up Display in one and the maps in the other. The second monitor can also be used for composite video out of the FPV Video Receiver.

The keyboard is bluetooth and stored in the drawer under the top tool box but there is room under the keyboard for tools and parts.

In the bottom is a big car battery that can charge my lipos and run the system. In the middle drawer space for my radios and goggles.

I am not finished yet but I am having a lot of fun with it.

Cheers
Last edited by mike_kelly; Sep 17, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2014, 04:13 PM
Waste Nothing
Mike :

I love what you did with this project so far . Is the tool box system something a guy could find at Home Depot or suchlike ? What are you using for the uplink / downlink radio gear ?

Kudos on a great project . I was planning something similar but I like your idea better !
Latest blog entry: Filament Fridge ?
Sep 17, 2014, 08:12 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC_RCAV8R
Mike :

I love what you did with this project so far . Is the tool box system something a guy could find at Home Depot or suchlike ? What are you using for the uplink / downlink radio gear ?

Kudos on a great project . I was planning something similar but I like your idea better !
The cart is sold around the world with different names and different numbers of drawers. Same basic tool cart tho. I am making a tracking antenna kit sold by Sandor Sesztak, a RCg member. So I am deciding how I will mount that unit. Currently I am using Frsky 2.4ghz and looking at Open LRS for the future. I am using the 3DR telemetry link but I like the system designed by FlipFlap using the HK Open LRS stuff to combine the control and telemetry into one transciever.

Good Luck on yours, it is great fun.

http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-BTST1...ling+Tool+Cart
Last edited by mike_kelly; Nov 05, 2014 at 06:54 PM.
Sep 21, 2014, 09:18 AM
WOW this is awesome....I would like to know how you integrated you computer with the cart.
Sep 21, 2014, 06:41 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1havok
WOW this is awesome....I would like to know how you integrated you computer with the cart.
First I choose a netbook that would work with an external monitor. Then took some apart and looked for one that had a long enough cable between the LCD and the main unit. I then removed the keyboard and touchpad assembly and used a bluetooth usb module to communicate with the big external keyboard. Then I cut the aluminum opening and bolted the lcd and the bezel over it to the aluminum plate in the top. I cut another plate for the bottom and bolted the remaining laptop with it's plastic bottom up under the "bottom aluminum plate". I used the same holes in the lower case that were originally used but with longer bolts that would go all the way up thru the aluminum plate.

Nothing really changed, just removed the top shell from around the lcd and bolted the remaining module into a custom cut opening in the top aluminum and then used the bottom half of the laptop without changing anything except carefully removing the keyboard and touchpad.

Only difficult part was cutting the opening for the lcd acurately and not pulling on the cable between the lcd and the rest of the computer while working on it so as to not rip the connector apart.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test

Quick Reply