This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:36 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Watching people get rich sucks

So Peter Hollens signed with Sony, joining the growing legion of Gootube musicians who are hitting paydirt. The Piano Guys signed in 2012. Thought Valentina Lisitsa hit paydirt by signing with Decca or Mark Anderson hit paydirt by signing with Hyperion, but Sony is the gold standard. It's bigger than Decca, Hyperion, Deutsche Grammaphon, or Chandos.

Now that Minecraft was bought for $2.5 billion, allowing its founders to finally afford a small doghouse in silicon valley, the founders of Instagram must be hating their measly $1 billion buyout, the founders of Occulus Rift are seeing red over their $2 billion buyout, but all eyes are wondering what 3D Robotics is going to be sold for.

Then of course, there's linkedin. It definitely has a way of revealing how all those years of corner offices, opulent lifestyles, hiring & firing meetings, were the work of guys your own age, much less accomplished than you, but with well connected parents. The 1 singular IPO boom in 1999 secured the rest of their lives. They rode the train to retirement at age 40. Then the window closed, never to reopen again.

Could you have been that guy, done working & settled into a wealthy retirement with no more education than a BS degree by now?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2014, 06:45 AM
AMA 79169
Spin, buzz, slant, etc.... it is all marketing and when engineering blends into marketing for the purpose of selling gadgets for entertainment to the proletariat, you get the questions you asked.

Short version: If I'm so smart, why ain't I rich?
Short answer: One has nothing to do with the other.

If not born into wealth, the 'popular wealth' (my phase for nouveau riche) we see today is usually created by means, motive, and opportunity.

-=Doug

Quick Reply